Virginia Open Democrat Primary.... An Idea [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Open Democrat Primary.... An Idea

The Curmudgeon
06-02-2009, 18:36
http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m5d27-Virginia-gun-owners-should-crash-the-party-on-June-11th

Did you know Virginia is an open primary state? Yup, it is - you can vote in anybody's primary you want.

That means that since the Republican party is handling their state office party candidate nominations this year by convention, every registered voter in Virginia might as well crash the Democratic party primary on June 9th!

Right now polls generally show former National Democratic Party Chairman Terry McAuliffe, who happens to live in Fairfax County, in the lead, followed by Alexandria's Brian Moran, and then Bath County's Creigh Deeds. But here's the deal - these polls are highly unreliable and regardless, only just over 100,000 Democrats are going to vote anyway - that leaves any possible winner of this 3 way race vulnerable to even a limited strategic cross party or one issue voter attack.

But how should gun owners vote in this primary? I think the answer is clear - against Terry McAuliffe who is only in this state race because Hillary Clinton lost her Presidential primary bid and could not take him to the White House.

Moran, and even more so Deeds, have voted pro-gun on numerous occasions during their careers in the General Assembly. I'm not sure McAuliffe even knows where the General Assembly Building is located. And as one Fairfax County Democratic party insider bluntly told me, "on guns, McAuliffe will be worse than even [Governor Tim] Kaine."

But two factors favor Moran over Deeds in this party primary voting raid. First, Moran is leading Deeds and is more likely to beat McAuliffe than Deeds. Second, Deeds has become unreliable on gun rights, trending anti-gun with his support to ban private gun sales at gun shows - out of synch with almost every other state's laws and just one policy step shy from banning private gun transfers entirely between even family, friends, and neighbors.

A vote for Moran is therefore the best strategic vote for gun owners for two reasons. First, because a Moran vote is more likely to defeat McAuliffe than a vote for Deeds. And second, a vote for Moran sends traditionally pro-gun politicians like Deeds a signal that compromising on gun rights before they run for state office will not be tolerated.

So where will you party on June 9th?

Alcoy
06-02-2009, 19:52
Now that you put it that way, I might vote for Moron just to upset the McAulifee.

TheEggman
06-03-2009, 06:17
Brian Moran was a neighbor of mine (I just moved from Alexandria) and we've had the opportunity to chat casually quite a few times.

He's hardly what I would describe as actively pro-gun owner, but he is certainly the lesser of the three evils. He's no where near as radical as his brother Jim who is a blight on the state. (VA's answer to Marion Barry)

If VA should end up with a Demonrat in the mansion, Moran is more 'predictable' than deeds, and certainly a better choice than McAuliffe.

While a lot of this is similar to the choice between splinters under the nail or a needle in the eye, I have to echo The Curmudgeon.

We should also give some thought, however, to which one could most easily be defeated by the Republicans, if that's possible in this climate.

Fungunner
06-03-2009, 07:16
I'd much rather see the Commonwealth send a Republican back to the Governor's mansion, as a direct poke at 0bama.

I think I see where you're going with this idea, defeating a national candidate like McAuliffe might help keep more outside influence and money out of the race. Hopefully, this might make it easier for the Republicans to win. I'm concerned, in that I thought that was the idea for defeating Hitlery last year with a perceived weaker 0bama candidate.

Wolfgang
06-03-2009, 17:54
Deeds looks pretty good as far as managing money goes. He went to college on 4 $20.00 bills. If he can go to college on $80.00, surely he will get the state finances in order:rofl::rofl::rofl:

TheEggman
06-03-2009, 18:24
Deeds looks pretty good as far as managing money goes. He went to college on 4 $20.00 bills. If he can go to college on $80.00, surely he will get the state finances in order:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dunno, I guess you get what you pay for ...

Fungunner
06-04-2009, 07:44
So now, I read in the Washington Times, Mr. Deeds is going to town, has come from behind to a slight lead over the other two challengers.

TScottW99
06-09-2009, 04:55
Getting ready to go vote for Deeds to see if this can happen. Wonder how the polling greeters will like my McDonnell stickers on my truck :supergrin:

Messer
06-09-2009, 06:15
Went and voted on my way into work today - flipped a coin and went with Deeds.

The looks I got for my IDPA cap were interesting... :rofl:
(I should have used my CHL as my ID - didn't think of that until after I was done)

Take care,
Bob S.

Olivers_AR
06-09-2009, 07:17
Local polling place had 21 total voters at 8:00, no one other than election officials, no poll workers.

TheEggman
06-09-2009, 08:19
Don't forget, OpenCarry.org has endorsed Moran.

Jerseycitysteve
06-09-2009, 09:30
Don't forget, OpenCarry.org has endorsed Moran.

OpenCarry.org endorsed Moran? I really have to say some hard words. The fringe gun rights movement would rather punish a heretic than promote a friend.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/Moran%20Deeds%20Gun.pdf

Moran put out this flier! Creigh Deeds will sign the extension of our concealed carry rights. Moran or McAulliffe will veto every extension RKBA and sign the so called gun show loophole.

The NRA has endorsed Mr. Deeds and has given him an A rating.

vafish
06-09-2009, 18:44
The NRA has endorsed Mr. Deeds and has given him an A rating.

Deeds has voted mostly pro gun, but in debates has made some very antigun comments.

I'd give him a C+ at the most. McAulfie is definitely an F-.

ditch_dgr
06-09-2009, 18:51
Deeds handed McAuliffe his butt today in the primary, was glad to see that.

Jerseycitysteve
06-09-2009, 19:22
Deeds has voted mostly pro gun, but in debates has made some very antigun comments.

I'd give him a C+ at the most. McAulfie is definitely an F-.

We can sleep the sleep of the just brother tonight. Because whoever wins in November will sign a bill to allow concealed carry in Restaurants.

Deeds had to tack a bit to the left to win his primary but I guarantee if he wins he will govern as he has voted for past zillion years.

ChuteTheMall
06-10-2009, 16:17
Deeds threw gunowners under the bus to seek statewide office, even got the Washington Post to endorse him.

Jerseycitysteve
06-10-2009, 16:47
Deeds threw gunowners under the bus to seek statewide office, even got the Washington Post to endorse him.

I didn't vote for him yesterday because I believe voting in a primary for somebody for whom you won't vote for in the general is ethically weak.

I'm a Republican and I'm voting for http://www.bobmcdonnell.com/ Craig Deeds hardly threw us under the bus but was fending off attacks from his opponents. This is politics. Deeds isn't my first choice for Governor but he's a decent man, a hunter, and a shooter. Unlike Mr. Kaine, Deeds will sign the RKBA bills that the legislature gives him. Since Virginia Governors only serve one term, Deeds doesn't have to worry about a primary challenge from disgruntled lefties. If he's not tapped as BHO's running mate for 2012, Mr. Deeds will serve out his term and return to his law practice in Monterey Virginia where the maple syrup flows and bear hounds rule.

ChuteTheMall
06-10-2009, 17:36
Since Virginia Governors only serve one term, Deeds doesn't have to worry about a primary challenge from disgruntled lefties. If he's not tapped as BHO's running mate for 2012, Mr. Deeds will serve out his term and return to his law practice in Monterey Virginia where the maple syrup flows and bear hounds rule.

That's naive.
Virginia's governors tend to move on to other powerful postitions.
Gov. Tim Kaine will head up the DNC.
Ex-gov Mark Warner sits in the Senate.
Ex-gov Jim Gilmore headed up the RNC.
Ex-gov George Allen Jr sat in the Senate.
Ex-gov Chuck Robb sat in the Senate.

We could go back to John Tyler Jr, James Monroe and Thomas Jefferson, but I've made my point. Nip it in the bud.

A man with no principles, who would trash the Second Amendment for temporary political expediency, is our enemy. The fact that he fooled some of us in the past by pretending to be pro-gun makes him a traitor as well.

I think we're all glad that Terry McAwful lost.:elephant:

watsoncb
06-10-2009, 18:17
I voted for Deeds. I guess I am ethically weak. :dunno:

I am sorry.

But I just could not take a chance on ding dong Terry McAuliffe stuffing the Governor's race with his out of state millions and all the northern VA lefties who seemed to be coming out of wood work for him.

I was surprised and hopeful when the news came the Deeds had won over 50% of the votes. Maybe the dems could spot the fox in their hen house too.

Now to work on getting get Bob elected. I think we might need to watch the Attny Gen race closely too.

Jerseycitysteve
06-10-2009, 18:41
That's naive.
Virginia's governors tend to move on to other powerful postitions.
Gov. Tim Kaine will head up the DNC.
Ex-gov Mark Warner sits in the Senate.
Ex-gov Jim Gilmore headed up the RNC.
Ex-gov George Allen Jr sat in the Senate.
Ex-gov Chuck Robb sat in the Senate.

We could go back to John Tyler Jr, James Monroe and Thomas Jefferson, but I've made my point. Nip it in the bud.

A man with no principles, who would trash the Second Amendment for temporary political expediency, is our enemy. The fact that he fooled some of us in the past by pretending to be pro-gun makes him a traitor as well.

I think we're all glad that Terry McAwful lost.:elephant:

Did he pretend to cast all of those pro-RKBA votes? Look at the guy's record for goodness sake! Deeds got an A rating from the NRA based on his votes.

If Webb or Warner leave the senate--not likely--he will probably take his best shot at the office. Out of our recent governors only Chuck Robb, George Allen and Mark Warner grabbed the brass ring. The others like Holton, Baliles, or Wilder never reached higher office. Chairing the DNC or the RNC is a political graveyard for also rans like Dean and Gilmore. Anyway, once President Obama cuts off Joe Biden, Deeds would make a killer addition to the ticket. However, all these scenarios are unlikely because Bob McDonell will be Virginia's next governor.

Calling a decent man with a good record like Craig Deeds, who never cast a vote against our rights, an enemy and traitor is extreme.