Handheld Digital Camcorders - Which One? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Digital Camcorders - Which One?

Jager1
06-03-2009, 10:01
Looking to replace the family camcorder with something a bit newer.

I've spent time online researching the formats, specs, features and the more I do, the more confused I become. I know what I'm supposed to be looking for (based upon the experts opinions), but it's a bit overwhelming.

Current considerations are:

Cost: Under $400 (Don't need High-Def)

Format: HD or SDHC (or whatever won't be obsolete in a few years)

The Sony's seem relatively easy to use, but the memory cards and batteries seem a bit proprietary to me. And are both expensive.

I was wondering if any of you here have purchased one you like in the last year or so and why?

Linux3
06-03-2009, 11:14
A co worker bought a Canon SC780 IS and it's fantastic.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_reviews/canon_sd780_conclusion.html

OK, it's a 12 MP still camera but it takes 720P HD movies at 30 FPS and they are incredible.

I liked it so much I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have not been sorry. But, it is not a camcorder. Never having had one I don't know what a "true" camcorder would have that this little gem lacks but I think you should take a look at crossover cameras.

MavsX
06-03-2009, 13:03
Looking to replace the family camcorder with something a bit newer.

I've spent time online researching the formats, specs, features and the more I do, the more confused I become. I know what I'm supposed to be looking for (based upon the experts opinions), but it's a bit overwhelming.

Current considerations are:

Cost: Under $400 (Don't need High-Def)

Format: HD or SDHC (or whatever won't be obsolete in a few years)

The Sony's seem relatively easy to use, but the memory cards and batteries seem a bit proprietary to me. And are both expensive.

I was wondering if any of you here have purchased one you like in the last year or so and why?

Hey man. So i belong to another forum. Dallas-mavs.com

it's a sports forum for the dallas mavericks. I assume you have heard of them, anyway i remember there were some really good threads about camcorders on that site a bit ago. So i looked them up. Click the links to go to the two threads. I hope it helps a little bit.

Also, i copied this from one of my posts in one of those threads. This is what i wrote-------------------> There is a large article about camcorders comparing HDD and mini disc and dvds...check it out. I bet it might help you. I know i saw a picture of a sony handycam in that article too. in the July 2007 issue of PC WORLD. I just read about it, so i thought i would pass on the word. Hope it helps.

Anyway, good luck, and here are the links.

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30327&highlight=camcorder

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33491&highlight=camcorder

Jager1
06-04-2009, 09:45
We'll see how that works out.

Thanks for to all who responded.