any squirrel hunters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any squirrel hunters?

jdf
06-04-2009, 10:58
I'm heading out sat morning for the late spring/early summer season here in Virginia.........did really well last year. I only use a .22 rifle to make it more challenging. Not as easy as it seems with all the leaves on the trees. I am curious about something........I normally use the Remington Gold solid tip rounds but I discovered a brick of the Gold hollow point rounds in my safe......shot about 150 rounds last range trip and they were fine.......how much damage to small game will they do compared to a solid tip.........I normally try to wait for a good head shot but I do not want to totally tear the little critters up if I have to go for a rib/body shot because my buddies mom loves to eat them......any suggestions?

JDF

Esox357
06-04-2009, 11:03
I haven't hunted squirrel in a while but I like to do it. I moved up to Virginia a year ago and haven't started hunting here yet, going to try this year. Guess I will have to check around for some public land maybe down near Stafford? The ammunition will be fine for hunting. Try to stick with head shots to save meat damage, good luck and enjoy. Esox357.

apfire26
06-04-2009, 11:12
I use to hunt them with bb guns all the time when I was young. I can't imagine needing to use hp rounds for a squirrel. A solid tip .22 isn't good enough?

The AmBASSaDEER
06-04-2009, 11:14
Id say a 20 gauge single shot

jdf
06-04-2009, 11:24
I use to hunt them with bb guns all the time when I was young. I can't imagine needing to use hp rounds for a squirrel. A solid tip .22 isn't good enough?

It works just fine........I just have a lot more hollow points than solid tips.............

JDF

pkdmslf
06-04-2009, 13:20
Unless you get headshots, HP's ruin too much of the edible parts.

vafish
06-04-2009, 14:27
I didn't realize we had a spring squirrel season in VA.

The way I read the DGIF regs it's only on certain WMA's though.

GLOCKOMANIA
06-04-2009, 15:02
Wow, it's been a long while since I hunted squirrels. First time I shot a squirrel was with a solid point (body shot), got up, shot it again, still got up. Switched to CCI Stinger ammo + head shot..end of story.

Jonesee
06-05-2009, 12:45
Take head shots and either of your loads work fine.

As for the gentleman that hunts with a 20 guage... I've rarely seen anyone hunt squirrels with a shotgun. And, I hate picking buckshot out as I eat.

The best squirrel gun is any 22 with an accurate scope. Stay quiet and alert and take head shots.

shot1
06-05-2009, 17:17
I have hunted squirrels for a great number of years. I killed my first one when I was 8 years old with a 20 ga. double barrel. I got a Sears model 1 (made by Winchester) 22 single shot rifle for Christmas when I was 10 years old. I about wiped out the squirrel population for 3 or 4 miles around my house and on my Grandfathers farm with that rifle. I use a Ruger 10/22 rifle or a Ruger MKII pistol now. I would stick with the solid bullet if you can't make a head shot. I have used the Rem. HP ammo and it does open up and do quite a bit of dammage. The last squirrel I remember shooting with one of the Rem. HP's was coming out a limb angleing down at me and coming right at me. I aimed at the end of his nose and I never did find any of his head. It simply vaporized his head. I tried the CCI Stingers once. I shot a squirrel that was broadside to me right in the eye. I blew the whole other side completly off it all the way back to the back legs. Way too distructive if you want anything to eat. I found a little trick that made solid bullets kill a little better with body hits. I made jig out of a piece of metal that would allow the tip of a solid bullet to stick through it so I could file off the tip and make it look like a flat nose about like the CCI small game bullets. It cut a hole through the hide instead of just punching a hole allowing it to seal back up. It did kill better. If you really want to have a blast squirrel hunting get you a 32 cal. muzzle loader. I borrowed one from a friend and had a ball. I just may have to get me one. Good hunting.

keyser
06-06-2009, 09:01
I've always used hollowpoints and take headshots only, it's fun training that way anyhow. The one round I won't use anymore for squirrel hunting is the CCI Quikshok, it gets the job done but is very explosive and there isn't anything left of the head when it's done and it makes my method of cleaning more difficult as well as a huge mess in the hunting pouch.

mossy500camo
06-06-2009, 14:57
WoW! Great hunting stories. I hunt squirrels. I dont eat them; I give them away to an eldery couple that lives down the road from me. They love to see me coming! I have never used Remington. I use whatever bulk box of .22lr that I can find. Then I do like another poster said. I file down the nose and make a flat point. Works wonders! Good Luck! And huntin" Bushytails in Spring & Summer? I have to wait until Fall.

noway
06-06-2009, 17:03
Take head shots and either of your loads work fine.

As for the gentleman that hunts with a 20 guage... I've rarely seen anyone hunt squirrels with a shotgun. And, I hate picking buckshot out as I eat.

The best squirrel gun is any 22 with an accurate scope. Stay quiet and alert and take head shots.

Typically one doesn't hunt squirrels with BUCKshot ;)

I hunt squirrels with 22LR but uses a pistol to make it more of a challenge. We have the same problems with leaves on the trees year round down south.

I find more so with the pistol "bullet" selection becomes more critical. I'm guessing with the slow velocity and such, that a difference between a solid and HP becomes a factor.

fwiw: I've user federal and now remington golden bullets on my squirrels.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/squirrel_hunting22.jpg

mossy500camo
06-08-2009, 21:41

I hunt squirrels with 22LR but uses a pistol to make it more of a challenge. We have the same problems with leaves on the trees year round down south.

I find more so with the pistol "bullet" selection becomes more critical. I'm guessing with the slow velocity and such, that a difference between a solid and HP becomes a factor.

Hey, Man! Nice shot!

ps
great pic.

Jonesee
06-08-2009, 23:47

Where and when I was raised any load in a shotgun shell other than a slug was generically called "BUCKshot". If someone asked or for a reason you needed to be specific we just called it by number "#6". All carbonated drinks were called "cokes" and all bandages were called "band-aids". We only had 3 TV channels and 8 track tapes werent out yet. I guess that was another place and time though.

93GT
06-09-2009, 06:14
I usually just use the 12 gauge and some 6 shot. Where I hunt 22LR might carry too far on misses or cause alot of passed up shot for safety reasons.

noway
06-10-2009, 20:16
Where and when I was raised any load in a shotgun shell other than a slug was generically called "BUCKshot". If someone asked or for a reason you needed to be specific we just called it by number "#6". All carbonated drinks were called "cokes" and all bandages were called "band-aids". We only had 3 TV channels and 8 track tapes werent out yet. I guess that was another place and time though.

Now that I think about it, I never ever bitten into a piece of lead in a squirrel. thein skin sin't that thick nor is the meat any thick that you can dislodge or find birdshot in a tree rat.

if you want a higher % of pass thru, try #6 remington steel sportman load. Steel loads, are more rounder and harder and penetrates deeper than most lead loads.

bassman-dan
06-11-2009, 20:09
Noway,
Man! That is one good lookin' rig.
What kind of groups do you get with that pistol at 25 yards or more?

noway
06-12-2009, 00:00
leaning on a three, I can regular take head/neck shots out to maybe 20yards if the squirrel stays still long enough & with luck. I practice at 15yards on filmphoto container caps.

Cool thing with the 22LR in a pistol, the noise doesn't run them off. Stalking a tree rat on foot and with pistol is way much cooler than a 22LR rifle or shotgun imho.

That squirrel was taken at a tree top at least 40 ft in the air. His buddy 2 trees over was taken at 15yards after he heard the "pop" and actualy pop his head up to look. I also took some more that day. I never meet baglimits with the pistol on one day, but my best tally has been 9 squirrels with in 7 hours and after 29 rounds.

nmk
06-17-2009, 00:04
If you want some up close and personal squirrel shooting, just sit still and pretend you are deer hunting. They walk right up to your boots. :supergrin: