Bow hunters speak up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunters speak up

havensal
06-05-2009, 04:52
I am thinking about getting into bow hunting deer again. :cool:

What does everyone here shoot?

Being 6'5" with a draw length over 31" limits my options a bit.

I need help picking the right bow.

31" draw
60lb draw
medium or hard cam
something between 30-36" A to A
75-80% letoff
relatively short brace height. 7-8" or so.
Cheaper the better, I want to keep the whole package, arrows and all, under $1k.

There's just too many to choose from. It's worse than buying a gun. :wow:

Any suggestions? :wavey:

I was hunting with an old Bear whitetail II, so I am not biased against cheaper models. :supergrin:

Might as well post up other suggestions also. Like arrows, releases, rests, and other stuff. I have yet to begin my research into them yet.:faint:

TScottW99
06-05-2009, 05:32
Best thing is to hit a really good pro shop and try some on for size. Plenty of good brands but each person has their own likes and dislikes.

If you want to stay under 1K check out Diamond bows (great bows) or Parker (what I shoot right nowand love) Both are good bows and not as expensive as Matthews, Bow Tech and such though Diamond is made by Bow Tech these days.

Good luck.

noway
06-06-2009, 17:06
Bear SuperKodiak is my bow of choice now; 60" AMO 60#lbs

Sly9mm
06-07-2009, 20:22
i went the cheap ebay way-- got a year old pse triton in '06 completely set up for $350, after i did all the research.

bamarammin87
06-08-2009, 10:54
I shoot a Martin Sabre. I absolutely LOVE it. 28" DL, 65# draw. Check out martin. They make some inexpensive bows that are AWESOME.

Look up martins, specifically Martin Saber

alwaysshootin
06-08-2009, 11:17
Add your dimensions, and left handed to boot! talk about hard to find a compound for! Long, long time ago bought my last compound, 15+ years, went to traditional, and haven't looked back. Right now I am using a Black Widow take down, and for backup, have an 70's era Bear Grizzly, and a modern Lightning Longbow. If you can shoot a slingshot, you can shoot a traditional setup. Takes some practice, but in my opinion, well worth the time put in.

Tax Lawyer
06-08-2009, 11:42
Come over to www.archerytalk.com

For your DL, I like the Bowtech Sentinel.

bamarammin87
06-08-2009, 13:30
Add your dimensions, and left handed to boot! talk about hard to find a compound for! Long, long time ago bought my last compound, 15+ years, went to traditional, and haven't looked back. Right now I am using a Black Widow take down, and for backup, have an 70's era Bear Grizzly, and a modern Lightning Longbow. If you can shoot a slingshot, you can shoot a traditional setup. Takes some practice, but in my opinion, well worth the time put in.

Man is the black widow as awesome as they say it is? They sure are gorgeous.

alwaysshootin
06-08-2009, 13:42
Man is the black widow as awesome as they say it is? They sure are gorgeous.

Man, I will tell you this, in my quest for the perfect bow, after I think seven, or eight, I picked this one used from a guy in Texas. Mind you, I started with the Grizzly, and it was/is great, but wanted a takedown. I went with four different models, all big named brands, then I got the BW. Absolutely no comparison. I'll suffice it to say, if anything were to happen to my BW, another one will be ordered, no matter the cost! My BW is only 45# @ 28" so with my draw is around 50# I guess, and it will spit an arrow faster then my others that were in the 65# range. Buy a BW and have the best!

Bannack
06-10-2009, 04:09
I shoot a Mathews Drenaline, and do not recomend going the EBay way of purchase. Go thru your local pro shop, and with a new bow you get your warranty. You can find a dealer that will get you into the proper bow and DL.

I'm pretty comon on my DL as I am 28" DL and shoot a 70# bow. This is one addiction that has me hooked, as I shoot everyday. There is a differance in Bows, pick up all of them and test drive them before you buy, and you'll find the right one the fits you.

doug42
06-10-2009, 09:01
I've got a Browing ambush with a 72# draw and a 29" draw length. Using archery makes you get up close and personal with your game of choice. Sure you can tag a deer from a couple hundred yrds. with a gun but it's a challenge to have one just a stones throw away. I've tried turkey hunting but they are rather hard to fool to come in close enough for me so far. :eat:

Jeremy_K
06-10-2009, 09:13
I have a 2003 Bowtech Blackhawk. It's 28" ATA with a 28" draw. I know the draw length is adjustable but not sure to what limits. It has a nice high brace height so it's forgiving to shoot. I really prefer shorter ATA bows for hunting, especially from a treestand. The best thing to do is go to a shop that has a range and test them out. Spending time on hunting forums you'll notice that guys start pushing brand names on people which I feel is wrong. Buy a bow like you'd buy a gun. What fits you and your purpose for it.

Jeremy_K
06-10-2009, 09:19
Where in WNY are you? I grew up there.

havensal
06-10-2009, 15:16
Where in WNY are you? I grew up there.

Allegany Co.

Where about did you grow up?

:wavey:

Jeremy_K
06-10-2009, 15:43
Allegany Co.

Where about did you grow up?

:wavey:
I grew up in the Tonawandas near the Erie Canal and Niagara river. My folks moved out to Cattaraugus County since. Nice deer season Eh? I only got out a couple times because of the balls deep snow. I don't know how many archery shops you have around but there's S&S Taxidermy in Springville, Catt. County. They have a nice selection of quality bows and a nice indoor range to let you try them out. That's where I bought my Bowtech.

1canvas
06-17-2009, 12:13
i would go with a Mathews bow, iv'e had a few, and check out ebay. you can go on to the Mathews website forums and get alot of good info. usually what Mathews invents others copy. as far as ebay you have to concider what a warranty is worth to you as to buy new or off ebay. the down side of mathews is the parts a expensive and mathews has a monopoly on there parts. i shoot a mq32, an older bow. for a nice shooting no-nonsence hunting bow you can't beat it. very durable, quiet, forgiving, good history, and you can get one rigged off ebay for about 350.00. an outstanding value.

Big Bird
06-18-2009, 20:33
I shoot a Mathews bow. I'm a big guy too (about 6'3") and have a 31" draw on my recurve using fingers. But on a compound its a bit less with a release and if you shoot with a release and a loop (and you probably will) it will take a good inch off your draw length. So my Mathews DXT has a 29.5" draw length as opposed to my recurve where I'm at 31". Any good pro shop will let you shoot a couple and be able to give you advice in terms of draw length etc.

In terms of brands--lots of good choices. But since you are relatively new (or born again) to the sport my recommendation is to let a pro shop set you up with a single cam bow which is easier to tune, keep tuned and stay tuned than the dual cam bows which in addition to being more finicky also vibrate more and are noisier. The bow industry seems to market speed bows every ten years or so and they promote velocity over other comfort factors. Sounds sexy but don't get drawn into this. Its overrated and in 2 or 3 years they'll be back to promoting smooth drawing, low vibration, quiet bows again.

Several companies stand out in my mind, Hoyt, Parker, Mathews, Bowtech etc....
I've used a Mathews for 11 years and have been very happy with my MQ32 I bought back in 1996 and more recently the DXT... Short axle to axle bows aren't for everyone and they tend to amplify bad shooting form so if you torque your bow, or botch the release or any other of the dozen or so things that you can goof up the short bows will make you pay for it more so than the longer axle to axle bows which are more forgiving.

Good luck.

valleyz
06-18-2009, 20:50
I went Traditional six years ago and don't miss the wheels....actually I don't miss the weight of the compound. My longbow weighs 1.5 lbs.

Tailhunter
07-16-2009, 19:42
Come over to www.archerytalk.com

For your DL, I like the Bowtech Sentinel.

Seems like good advice .....

gruntmedik
07-16-2009, 22:01
I shoot a Mathews Outback, 30" with a release and string loop.

Usingmyrights
07-18-2009, 07:59
Diamond "Rock".

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2009_Diamond_Rock_Bow_Package/diamond_bow_package_discount_2009.htm

I bought one of these last year, but got it at $500 due to a factory cosmetic defect. Great bow, and great company to deal with.

tonyparson
07-20-2009, 20:13
I bow hunt with a mathews drenalin. :supergrin:

CanyonMan
07-21-2009, 14:07
I mostly use my Martin Hunter 62" 60#'s, shooting off the shelf.

Actually, in about 40 years of bow hunting, all I have used are recurves in the 55 - 70 # weight range. I also like longbows as well.

Had one compound back in the 80's, that my brother talked me into. Shot one buck out behind the house with it, but could never "warm up to those things." So, still with the recurve/longbow. ;)

Good hunting.

CanyonMan