Has anyone here taken the UTAH CCW course? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here taken the UTAH CCW course?

GlockerFocker
06-05-2009, 14:37
Just curious if anyone has taken this course, heres a link to the site www.helpmeshoot.com

A place in Ashburn teaches the course, 4 hrs @ $135. This permit is also valid in VA. This permit is valid in about 10 more states and the VA CCW. I'm thinking about taking the course, just wanted to get more info from folks who've taken this already. Thanks.

Tweek's Turbos
06-05-2009, 16:15
Yes, But I took mine thru D&D security in Alexandria. Even though we didn't fire a weapon, I was able to use the certificate for the VA license as well.

Its a nice permit too, picture is on it, more like a drivers license.

Sporwick
06-05-2009, 17:27
The Utah course with Help Me Shoot is fantastic. I have not taken the course but I am personal friends with the owner and instructor, Ron Crouse. Take the course with extreme confidence that you will get your moneys worth. You not only get the course and certificate but you can get your application completed, fingerprints taken etc...all at the course.

GlockerFocker
06-05-2009, 17:44
Sounds good. I'll have to wait until they offer it on a day I am free. I guess it gets sent off to Utah for their approval. How long does it usually take? Sporwick, do you know the actual address of the place where the course is offered, all I see is the P.O. box address, I just wanted to see how far it is from me. I'm in Culpeper. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Sporwick
06-05-2009, 17:48
Sounds good. I'll have to wait until they offer it on a day I am free. I guess it gets sent off to Utah for their approval. How long does it usually take? Sporwick, do you know the actual address of the place where the course is offered, all I see is the P.O. box address, I just wanted to see how far it is from me. I'm in Culpeper. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

To be honest I do not know where he does the class. It may move around based on space availability. It is probably somewhere between Fairfax and Ashburn. I do not think there is a shooting requirement so it does not have to be at a range. It could be at a hotel space or something of that nature. I would email him. He is usually really responsive.

HeBeGB
06-05-2009, 23:18
GF - I took a Utah CCW class last year in California so that I could carry in free states like AZ and VA.

According to Utah law (http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=53-5-704) they have 60 days to issue or deny for cause.

My experience in mid-2008 was around 50 days after my credit card was charged, the permit was in my mailbox. I've heard rumors of a big backlog now... something about increased interest in the CCW since shortly before last Thanksgiving. :dunno:

GlockerFocker
06-06-2009, 12:41
Sporwick, thanks for the response. I'll def. email him. Thanks.

Hebegb- how long is the UTAH CCW good for? How do you go about renewing it? Thanks.

HeBeGB
06-06-2009, 13:48
The Utah permit is valid for five years.

For renewal, see: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

There is a link on the right-hand side to a simple, one-page renewal application form.

PVanCleave
06-07-2009, 12:28
I do them at the "Smoking Gun" shooting range in Colonial Heights monthly. I have one coming up in a few weeks. $75, plus range fee and range ammo.

RandySmith
06-10-2009, 19:02
Ron was one of my NRA TC candidates at a workshop last year. He would be a good person to work with.

Randy

4570Lever
06-30-2009, 18:04
I do them at the "Smoking Gun" shooting range in Colonial Heights monthly. I have one coming up in a few weeks. $75, plus range fee and range ammo.

It was a 3 hour drive and well worth it! Phil is a great intructor, no one else I would rather take it from. (Still working on improving my groups with the 686, Phil!)

Two thumbs up and an honor to be trained by the head of VCDL personally.