Potato soup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Potato soup

Blast
06-07-2009, 01:58
How do you make yours?
Mine's pretty simple... I use mainly russet, but sometimes Idaho and Yukon Gold. Boil cut potatoes till tender, drain off most but not all water, add milk, butter, salt, and pepper to taste. That's one simple method. I occasionally use a little Cream of Celery soup for flavor and added thickness.
I recently discovered adding a little instant mashed potato flakes/granules helps alot. I don't like it too thick but not too watery either.

Garweh
06-10-2009, 19:39
I saute chopped leeks and onions in butter until lightly caramelized. Add a few cloves of crushed garlic, salt, pepper, cubed potatoes, and some chicken or vegetable broth. When the potatoes are tender, I whir the soup with a stick blender and then add a small amount of heavy cream. Perfect!

Pancho 12
06-24-2009, 14:10
-Boil chopped potatoes and diced onions in chicken broth until tender.

-Add Campbell's condensed cheddar cheese soup. Stir until smooth.

-In seperate pan, make rue out of flour, butter, and half&half.

-Add rue to the soup.

-Stir until thick.

-Add pepper and chopped bacon.

lethal tupperwa
06-24-2009, 14:38
melt butter in a pot (big enough to fit)
chop and saute
1 whole bunch of celery
1 onion
1 red onion
1 carrot
3 Idaho or 4 or 5 others. (cut up)
salt and pepper
fill pot with milk simmer until potatoes are done
add roux (melted butter and flour) to thicken

many people tell me that the leftovers are very good for breakfast.

MrsKitty
06-26-2009, 08:35
Tater soup. :hearts:

I chop my taters in a variety of sizes.

Boil: onion, taters, garlic, bacon or ham scraps

Add milk to thin.

Add some grated carrot for color

Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

If you want it thicker, add instant tater flakes.

If you have other stuff laying around, toss it in. There are many, many variations.

Blitzer
06-26-2009, 08:41
How do you make yours?
Mine's pretty simple... I use mainly russet, but sometimes Idaho and Yukon Gold. Boil cut potatoes till tender, drain off most but not all water, add milk, butter, salt, and pepper to taste. That's one simple method. I occasionally use a little Cream of Celery soup for flavor and added thickness.
I recently discovered adding a little instant mashed potato flakes/granules helps alot. I don't like it too thick but not too watery either.

Taking about an 1/8 of the cooked potatoes and mashing them and adding them to the pot will thicken the soup too. Or use an Immersion blender to puree some of the soup without adding the processed taste of potato flakes or buds..

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/Blitzer0101/Foods/Wand_Blender.jpg

SouthernGal
06-26-2009, 13:28
Potato Cheese Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 potatos, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
8 cups milk (I use fat free plus)
8 oz sour cream (regular OR light is fine)
2 cups shredded velveeta (comes pre-packaged)
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt & pepper to taste

Microwave or steam potatos until tender. While cooking potatos, melt butter. Add flour and milk. Heat at Medium. Add sour cream, onions, salt & pepper. Melt velveeta into mixuture until smooth. Add potatos and cook on Medium until done. Top with bacon bits and grated cheddar.

Note--you may also had a small bit of neufatchel cheese (cream cheese) for more zing.

I've also used Cheese Whiz as a substitute for the Velveeta.

rhikdavis
06-27-2009, 19:17
Sounds tasty.

Uzi4U
07-10-2009, 14:45
http://www.bigoven.com/168343-Idaho-Baked-Potato-Soup-recipe.html

My family loves this soup

31F20
07-16-2009, 11:20
Im gettin' hungry reading all this!

shavedape
08-11-2009, 22:47
I usually start by sauteing onions (or leeks) in small amount of oil to start. When they're soft and translucent I add chicken stock and diced potatoes. Once soft, I remove a good size ladel of cubed potato, toss in a couple cloves of roasted garlic then puree what's in the pan, returning the reserved potato cubes to the pot when done. At that point it only needs a healthy dollop of half-and-half and it's good to go. No need to get all worried about making it creamy as it's already there.

Ladle into big bowls or mugs, top with spoonful of sour cream and chives if you've got them and serve :)