FIOS Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FIOS Questions

Nicky D
06-08-2009, 04:16
I am having FIOS installed on Wednesday and am looking for any advice or suggestions if needed. I also have a question about it.

My question is will I still be able to use my Linksys wired router and switch with FIOS without any problems? I literally have 9 ethernet cables running throughout the house and I do not want to switch to a wireless setup, I would like to keep it the way I have it.

Nowif anyone has any feedback on FIOS, please share. I am going with the triple play 20/5 for internet plus HD Extreme with all of the movies. I am getting an 1 HD DVR & 1 SD box. I know the DVR has a small hard drive which is going to kill us, may pick up TIVO or a Moxi, not to familiar with the Moxi but it seems interesting.

I currently have Comcrap for internet, did Verizon just use all of their cables and splitters or do they need to run new stuff. Shpuld I prerun any cables prior to them coming?

Thanks for any input, I am really looiking forward to the switch. I can't wait to dump Comcrap. My service has been horrible lately and this is after they did the free speed upgrade. My service comes to almost a complete stop and then is fine, can't wait for consistent service.

Olivers_AR
06-08-2009, 05:07
Verizon supplies their own router and will install it. Since your gettin the triple play, you are most likely need their gear to support all the functionality.

The Verizon router also contains 4 Ethernet ports on it, if your linksys router is just ethernet, and doesn't have the coax connection, you could run a cable from the Verizon router to your wired switch and then be able to use all nine ports.

The trick is to get the tech to install the new router in the same area/room that your existing switch is in. I would talk with Verizon and make sure that the tech they send out is aware if what your trying to do.

Switched out from Cox cable and have had no issues with the service.

Green_Manelishi
06-08-2009, 11:27
Rocks. No regrets with our installation.

JohnBT
06-08-2009, 13:45
"did Verizon just use all of their cables and splitters or do they need to run new stuff"

They test. The installer tested my 20+year-old Comcast cables and then used them. The main one runs halfway around the house on the sunny side and is attached to red brick. There's no running them inside the exterior walls - they're 14 inches of solid brick.

stooxie
06-08-2009, 17:54
Olivers pretty much summed it up. I use the Verizon router as the firewall and DHCP server, but turned off the radio in favor of an Airport. It's pretty flexible, frankly I'm kind of amazed.

As the installation, I imagine everyone might be different but the guy who did mine bent over backwards to install the thing where I needed it. We had to do some tricky cable runs and dang it if the guy didn't stick with it the whole day.

-Stooxie

JohnBT
06-08-2009, 18:56
I had a straightforward, simple install. It took one Verizon guy from noon to 7 and a second guy showed up about 4 and stayed. They both knew what they were doing, it's just that the bricks in my house are hard and the walls are 14 inches thick. Even the trim is hard. :) Next time they'll know to bring lots of long drill bits, and not the cheap dull ones either.

John

Nicky D
06-08-2009, 22:46
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am looking forward to getting FIOS.

JohnBT
06-09-2009, 05:07
I think you will enjoy it. And then you'll want to spend big bucks on a new tv.

My installer even left me his cell phone number in case I had questions and called me 2 days later to see if everything was still working.

I told him I'd tossed the thick and heavy HDMI cable he'd used to connect the tv and replaced it with a $5 monoprice.com cable and eliminated the annoying audio dropouts that were popping up once a minute.

John

Nicky D
06-09-2009, 05:38
I think you will enjoy it. And then you'll want to spend big bucks on a new tv.

My installer even left me his cell phone number in case I had questions and called me 2 days later to see if everything was still working.

I told him I'd tossed the thick and heavy HDMI cable he'd used to connect the tv and replaced it with a $5 monoprice.com cable and eliminated the annoying audio dropouts that were popping up once a minute.

John

I am good on the tv, I already have a 60" Sony XBR2. Although I could put a HD tv in the basement.

Watch the monoprice cables too. I ended up replacing all of mine with cables from Wally World because mono's cables were too heavy too.

JohnBT
06-09-2009, 13:47
I haven't had that trouble with monoprice cables. The ones on my tv setup are 1.5 years old and doing fine. The Verizon cable I tossed was 2 or 3 times the diameter of the monoprice cable.

That's a great tv. I have a 40" Samsung, but I'm only sitting 7 feet away most of the time.

John

Nicky D
06-09-2009, 13:49
I haven't had that trouble with monoprice cables. The ones on my tv setup are 1.5 years old and doing fine. The Verizon cable I tossed was 2 or 3 times the diameter of the monoprice cable.

That's a great tv. I have a 40" Samsung, but I'm only sitting 7 feet away most of the time.

John

I was really surprised by the trouble I had with them. Honestly the problems probably stem from our cat who goes behind the tv.

Rec4LMS
06-10-2009, 07:02
We just switched to Verizon FIOS also. We had cable outlets previously installed and Verizon did not have to change out anything. They did have to run the FIOS line from the pole to the house. (Another hanging line in my back yard, annoying.)

My Comcast set up was 1 modem and 1 ethernet/wireless router. When Verizon came in, they provided a router/modem combo that replaced both my modem and my router. Their router/modem had ethernet ports installed so I was able to use my normal set up of having the main PC on ethernet and the laptop on wireless.

For your purposes, you can keep your original set up. They will replace the modem but it will allow you to connect your router as normal.

I've been pretty happy with Verizon since I've gotten it. There was an initial billing issue, but they resolved it.

KDawg0007
06-10-2009, 07:39
Verizon is solid. The internet is blazing fast and gaming is wonderful on it. I also ordered the 20/5 and HD extreme package and am pleased with it. The router/modem they gave me had initial issues but after a few power cycles and resets it seems ok. The automated call center can get irritating if you just want to talk to a representative but other than that for the money I couldn't be happier. I also have a hardwired/wireless set up and the tech insured that he hooked everything up as I wanted it. I have 4 hardwired and the wireless for whatever else. It is a good product and I have no complaints except for the tech help line automated menu.

Nicky D
06-10-2009, 12:14
Well FIOS is in and I am already dissappointed with it. I have not played to much with the tv aspect or the phone but the networking aspect sucks. The internet it fast, no questions about that, the problem is the router and my network.

I pulled my ethernet cable from my old modem and plugged it into ethernet port #1 on the Actiontec router. I unplugged my Linksys router, switch & print server. I booted the Actiontec router first and then plugged in my Linksys equipment and then rebooted my PC. No luck, no internet. The tech tried but he had limited knowledge. He called Tech support and they basically said to go pund sand, they do not provide support.

So now I am really stuck on what to do, I have devices total plugged into my network. I know I could get a a few switched over to wireless, that is aggravating because that is additional money that I was not expecting to need to spend. On principles sake I should not have to to that, I was told that it would be no problem, and of course it is.

This is what I am running:
2 PCs
XBox 360
PS3
Wii
Original XBox
Onkyo Reciever
Digital Picture Frame

I know that I could get wireless for my PC's and the 360, that is no problem other than the cost. My big issue is my Digital Picture Frame. It is a 19" framed unit that is mounted over our tv in the livingroom and is networked to my pc. This can not be converted to wireless.

I think the PS3 can be done wireless, not sure I need to check it out.

I am supposedly waiting for the rep from the area to call me and see if they can help me out. I will wait to see what they say before I go buying anything.

If any of you guys have and solutions that I could try I would greatly appreciate it.

stooxie
06-10-2009, 13:18
Dude, don't blame FiOS. You can't just jam everything back in place without adjusting any settings and think it will work.

You have to PICK which devices will handle firewall, radio (wifi), dhcp, etc. Your linksys is probably trying to do NAT inside the NAT already provided by the Actiontec router. Turn off NAT/firewalling on the linksys or ditch it all together.

If nothing else I have found FIOS and the Actiontec to be very compliant and open.

-Stooxie

Green_Manelishi
06-10-2009, 14:53
Well FIOS is in and I am already dissappointed with it. I have not played to much with the tv aspect or the phone but the networking aspect sucks. The internet it fast, no questions about that, the problem is the router and my network.

...snippedy-doo-dah-day...

If any of you guys have and solutions that I could try I would greatly appreciate it.

+1 on another post that it might not be so simple as plugging it all back in.

FiOS will "scream" into the house then the hardware in your house will present whatever bottlenecks are going to arise.

I am not using the FiOS for anything other than interknot but in my wee hoos we have a Macbook, HP (Visduh), Acer Netbook (XP) and Dell (XP pro), NAS and two hard-drives USB connected to that running wireless using the Verizon router. We also are using an HP v40xi printer, wirelessly, via NetGear server ... funny thing there is that "IT guys" told me I'd never get visduh or the mac to recognize and print wirelessly to the printer.

My point to you is that you probably can get it all to work but you'll have to start with a base that works then start adding one component at a time and get it to work.

Verizon is not responsible for the stuff in your house, only the connection and the router; beyond that is your challenge.

Nicky D
06-10-2009, 15:02
I am not blaming FIOS or Verizon, I understand that it is not their problem. I am just upset that I can't just plug and play. I already switched my PS3 over to wireless and am going to play around with my setup to see what I can get to work. It is just frustrating especially considering that all I had to do with my Comcast modem was reboot everything and I was good to go.

stooxie
06-10-2009, 15:27
I am not blaming FIOS or Verizon, I understand that it is not their problem. I am just upset that I can't just plug and play. I already switched my PS3 over to wireless and am going to play around with my setup to see what I can get to work. It is just frustrating especially considering that all I had to do with my Comcast modem was reboot everything and I was good to go.

I feel your pain, brother, but it's apples and oranges. Comcast gave you an internet pipe and that was all-- meaning the cable modem. TV was siphoned off by the converter boxes. Verizon has the Actiontec thingy because they pipe in internet, TV and phone over the same fiber AND it will feed TV data over the existing cable plant in the house. In reality I give them enormous credit.

-Stooxie

Nicky D
06-10-2009, 16:55
Well believe it or not it looks like I fixed the problem. It was actually an easy fix. After switching my PS3 & Wii over to wireless I decided to move a couple of ethernet cables to the new router. Well I figured let me get rid of the old router and plug everything into the Linksys switch until later. I then decided what do I have to lose by putting an ethernet cable from the FIOS router and plugging it into the switch. I rebooted the switch and what would you know.

To my pleasant surprise it worked. Now my 360 and livingroom PC are back online. The only thing I do not know about is my digital frame and that is because it is broken right now and needs to go in for repairs. I also have to try my print server, but that should not be a problem.

Now it is time to play with the tv and the new DVR. Time to see if I need to get a TIVO instead of their box. I know that is a whole different thread.

Thanks for all of the input from you guys, hopefully this can help somebody out in the future.

JohnBT
06-11-2009, 06:05
Sounds good so far. You can get more detailed info on the forums at

www.dslreports.com/forums/all

There are FiOS fiber and tv forums listed about halfway down the page.

Brently
06-16-2009, 06:40
So you FIOS bubbas... are getting fiber straight to your house or are just talking their backbone? I guess I should do my own research.... Sounds like a hit though... Maybe it will make it out to hawaii one day... then again probably not!

stooxie
06-16-2009, 07:12
Yes, it's fiber straight to the house. It then goes into a "converter" type thingy that splits out POTS (plain old telephone), RJ45 ethernet and coax. The internet can either come off the RJ45 or off the coax, ala a cable modem. That would depend on what kind of cabling you have in the house. The TV converter boxes are digital and feed off the coax.

-Stooxie

Rec4LMS
06-16-2009, 07:13
So you FIOS bubbas... are getting fiber straight to your house or are just talking their backbone? I guess I should do my own research.... Sounds like a hit though... Maybe it will make it out to hawaii one day... then again probably not!

Yes, you have to get a new line run straight to your house. Fiber optic cable is not compatable with the standard copper phone lines. Verizon is litterally in the process of running new fiber optic lines across the entire area I am in. When they set up the FIOS, they disconnected the old phone line and hooked up a new box to the house. The new "box" has it's own power supply, so that if we loose power we will still have phone service.

Just FYI, Verizon pushes the Phone/TV/Internet service. I do enjoy the Internet and the TV has a much larger selection than Comcast. I could do without the phone though. We get too many soliciters calling the house now. Plus, our extended family insists on calling the house phone instead of our cell phones, even though I keep telling both sides of our family that we keep the ringer down because of all the junk calls.

The only reason I keep the phone is because Verizon makes it cheaper to have all three services rather than just the two. Well, without the DVR only two services would be cheaper, but my wife HAS to have the DVR. (If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!)

JohnBT
06-16-2009, 13:51
"The only reason I keep the phone is because Verizon makes it cheaper to have all three services rather than just the two."

That, and they gave me a very nice 19" LCD tv for signing a 2-year contract for a triple play.

That's what fouled up my bill, upgrading from internet-only to all 3 services and trying to get them billed as a bundle and the internet-only removed from my Visa card. It took about 5 months to get the tv - they had no record of my installation. No billing doesn't count, they had to have evidence of the actual install. I finally found someone who cared and sent copies of everything including the installer's receipt, name and cell phone number and had the tv in 3 days.

John