Is my hard-drive dead? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is my hard-drive dead?

ERASER
06-09-2009, 09:32
I have a hard-drive in my PC that I can no longer access. It is not my primary drive (it was, however, the hard-drive from my old computer). It is/was partitioned so that XP and other "necessary" programs were on what is now labeled the "E" drive, and all non-essential programs (games, photos, music, etc.) are on what is now labeled the "F" drive.
Well, it seems that I can no longer access either the E or the F drives. I get the message that "E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

If I look at the properties of those partitions, it only sees 0 used, 0 available and the file type is listed as "RAW".

It is connected using one of those red SATA cables. Is there a possibility that the cable is bad? Would hooking the drive up using a ribbon cable be possible? (Sorry, I'm not very good with computers).

Is the physical drive itself dead?
Is there a way to retreive the data?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

glock19_fan
06-09-2009, 10:20
Try different cable, place the drive in a USB drive and see if it works, or try a different PC and see if you can see the data.

Bemis
06-09-2009, 11:38
You can always recover a large percentage of data. Unfortunately those services can cost quite a bit of money. Nothing to worry about until you are absolutely sure you can't read that drive though. Hard drives are one of the few things that have moving parts...so it's bound to crap out at some point.

comsec
06-09-2009, 13:17
if the drive is still spinning, sounds like the partition crashed that is recoverable for most techs that have a clue about computers, it take about 8 hours to recover

ERASER
06-11-2009, 09:43
A quick update:

I ran Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools program on the smaller of the two partitions (the one with the OS on it). The program reported that the partition PASSED the extended version of the test. It also seemed to "see" the sizes of the two partitions (even though it didn't show the NTFS file type).
Given that the drive seemed to test OK, and that the smaller of the two partitions was the one that only had the operating system and a few "necessary" programs, I decided to format the drive. After formatting, my computer seemed to "see" the partition just fine, so I figured I'd pop it back into the computer that it originally came from and just reinstall the operation system and then worry about the larger partition (with the data that I really want to save) later.

If anyone has any suggestions on how/if I can get the computer to "see" the data on the large partition, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again for the help.

NGWT
06-19-2009, 00:15
At this point just go to Computer Mangement/Disk Management and find Change Drive letter.

Once you assign it a drive letter see if you can access that data.

Blitzer
06-19-2009, 01:09
I.M.E./O. - I apologize if I appear harsh but:

Asking before you act next time and you might have saved the data, now it is a major effort to recover it, if possible at all!

:whistling:

The data table for the second partition is stored on the primary partition, you destroyed the data table for the bigger partition when you formatted the smaller primary.

:wow:

There is a slim chance you can recover the data files, a very slim chance.

Norton recovery, Gibson Spinrite and other tools could have been used, before you formatted the partition, to restore the data tables and recover the files.

:crying:

Now Spinrite might recover the second partition.

:dunno:

I no longer partition any drives and use the full size drive of a drive as data and primary drives.