Blew out my laptop with compressed air. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blew out my laptop with compressed air.

Targettarget
06-09-2009, 19:21
I posted a while ago about blowing out my laptop with compressed air due to some overheating issues and whatnot.

Anyways, just thought I'd report back that since I've done it, my computers fan doesn't even turn on, that's how "cool" it runs now.

It used to shut off after a half hour or so and the bottom was hot enough that you literally could not touch the plastic.

I highly recommend that if you have a laptop older then 6 months or so and an air compressor that you do this. I'm amazed at the results, myself.

I didn't go crazy with the air (about 80 psi and a foot away), but it sure made a difference! :thumbsup:

Jeremy_K
06-09-2009, 19:49
That stuff in the can air duster works fine. it's easy to remove the bottom panels and have full access to the fan.

jdavionic
06-09-2009, 20:08
+1 It just seems to run so much better when you get it periodically blown clean...the laptop, of course. Seriously the keys get hung up...so nailing the keyboard is good too.

I learned the hard way that crud can get everywhere on a computer and that the circuit boards are not conformal coated. I accidentally spilt a little water on the keyboard. It totally buggered it up. Fortunately I disassembled the keyboard and dried it out with air and it started working again. But I was shocked at how crap seemed to get everywhere in there.

Rec4LMS
06-10-2009, 06:54
Just be careful when using compressed air on the fan blades. You can damage the blades and the motor. Generally, I use a toothpick to hold the blade in place and I'm careful when cleaning around the blades.

Ragin Cajun
06-13-2009, 14:21
Just be careful when using compressed air on the fan blades. You can damage the blades and the motor. Generally, I use a toothpick to hold the blade in place and I'm careful when cleaning around the blades.

HOW TRUE? The compressed air will really cause the blades to spin way too fast. Goes for the desktops as well. I jam the fan blades with a wood stick before blowing the dust out. Amazing how much dust collects.

RC

bchandler
06-17-2009, 14:51
Be careful when using canned air to hold the can vertically only! Otherwise it can spray out liquid propellant along with the air.