Help...Planning on travelling up to the north part of KT [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help...Planning on travelling up to the north part of KT

southernreign
06-11-2009, 17:33
I am a NC CCW permit holder, can I conceal carry in my car in Kentucky... if so, what is the proper way to handle officers if I were to get pulled over.
Thank you in advance.

oldschoolcj5
06-11-2009, 17:52
http://www.kc3.com/reciprocitymap.htm

KY does recognize your permit! As far as if you were pulled over - we have some leo's on here, but I'll take a stab at it. 1) be courteous and make sure your hands are visible and the car is well lit. 2) you should tell them you are a permit holder and there is a gun in the vehicle. 3) leave the gun stowed away unless you are asked to retrieve it by the officer.

Enjoy your visit!
Mike

AutomotiveTech
06-11-2009, 20:14
I always prefer the State Police website for questions about reciprocity. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm If I get pulled over, I will not bring attention to the fact I have a concealed weapon, but if they ask I will sure not lie, and I will be very careful to not give them any reason to feel uneasy. Use your best judgement, and BTW, you do not even need a permit to carry in your car in Ky. Have a safe trip, and I hope you enjoy yourself.

I just wanted to add that while you can carry in your car, there are still laws that apply to where you can carry it if you do not have a permit. This is explained on the link I provided.

southernreign
06-11-2009, 20:33
I always prefer the State Police website for questions about reciprocity. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm If I get pulled over, I will not bring attention to the fact I have a concealed weapon, but if they ask I will sure not lie, and I will be very careful to not give them any reason to feel uneasy. Use your best judgement, and BTW, you do not even need a permit to carry in your car in Ky. Have a safe trip, and I hope you enjoy yourself.

I just wanted to add that while you can carry in your car, there are still laws that apply to where you can carry it if you do not have a permit. This is explained on the link I provided.

I need to know HOW I can carry my firearm in a CAR as a licensed CCW holder... the site you linked does not give ANY info on it just says if you are NOT a PERMIT OWNER you MUST keep it in the GLOVE box. In NC we MUST inform officers that we are licensed. Is this not so in KT?

oldschoolcj5
06-12-2009, 06:25
I guess I am missing your question: Are you wanting to know if you can carry on your person in a vehicle or are you asking about how to stow the gun in your vehicle? The glove box/console is the "default" location with or without a permit.

Berretta9
06-12-2009, 08:15
I understand what he's asking. Some states have certain places you have to carry a gun in a car even if you have a permitt. In Kentucky it can really be anywhere in the car if you have a permitt. I often travel with mine on the passenger seat with a news paper over it. You can wear it anywhere on your body concealed or unconcealed. If you do not have a permitt, then keep it in the factory glove box.
As far as being pulled over the state would prefer you tell him right up front that you have a weapon.

AutomotiveTech
06-12-2009, 12:42
The link I provided DOES have the information you are looking for. Look at the section titled Restrictions on Carrying by Qualified License Holders. If you want to read the laws word for word, then http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/chapter.htm Every time I travel to another state, I look to make sure I am in compliance with the laws, and I do not trust internet forums for this information.

By the way, I know of no law that requires you to inform the officer if you are carrying during a normal traffic stop, but it is not a bad idea to mention it. I once had a police officer tell me that it is not an issue unless you bring it up.

Berretta9
06-12-2009, 15:32
That is a good site to check. I know Ohio is a little different than here. Some resturants in other states that serve liquor are also an issue. I don't know of a law that requires you to tell the police as soon as they pull you over but it is in the CCDW class book that it is what they want you to do. I teach the CCDW Instructor course and I have had a few police officers take that class. What they will tell you is that if they know from the start that you have a gun and a permitt it's no problem but if they see it and you did not inform them, you will find yourself face down on the pavement till they sort it out.

southernreign
06-14-2009, 09:08
That is a good site to check. I know Ohio is a little different than here. Some resturants in other states that serve liquor are also an issue. I don't know of a law that requires you to tell the police as soon as they pull you over but it is in the CCDW class book that it is what they want you to do. I teach the CCDW Instructor course and I have had a few police officers take that class. What they will tell you is that if they know from the start that you have a gun and a permitt it's no problem but if they see it and you did not inform them, you will find yourself face down on the pavement till they sort it out.

Can you CC into museums and movie theatres?

Berretta9
06-14-2009, 10:18
Can you CC into museums and movie theatres?

Depends on weather they post a sign restricting it. If they do and you do they can ask you to leave.