CCleaner lockup on wipe free space [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCleaner lockup on wipe free space

pascal
06-13-2009, 06:27
Howdy,
Using latest version of CCleaner on XP Home SP3. Ran it with wipe free space and it said it was at 100% done but the progress bar did not show it. Waited a while and it seemed locked up. Any ideas, besides not using that feature?
pascal

grokdesigns
06-13-2009, 11:48
I've never noticed any issues with that feature...however, it's fairly useless. If you are really concerned about wiping free space, use something like BCWipe from http://www.jetico.com/.

pascal
06-13-2009, 13:24
Howdy grokdesigns,
Thanks for the reply and recommendation. Will try it. Take care.
pascal

DOA33
06-18-2009, 22:56
whats the point of wiping the free space?

pascal
06-19-2009, 05:25
Hello DOA33,
People correct me if I'm wrong, but the disk management system leaves open space when a file is deleted. The actual data is not removed it just noted for availability. This has the potential to leave personal information on a disk drive that can be accessed by hacker and such. Wiping, writes random meaningless data to those areas thus destroying the data that was last left there and leaves it available. There are other places on the disk that has similar issues of leaving potentially personal data easily available. Wipe disk destroys the data since its not in use anyway. I think I got it right.
pascal

Blitzer
06-19-2009, 06:05
I use an inexpensive product called East-Tec Eraser. Works fast and no issues.

pascal
06-19-2009, 06:47
Thanks Blitz,
I am trying the BCWipe now. To wipe if fully will take 23 hours!!
pascal

g29andy
06-19-2009, 12:26
The wipe free space option in CCleaner takes a long time.

grokdesigns
06-19-2009, 14:25
Hello DOA33,
People correct me if I'm wrong, but the disk management system leaves open space when a file is deleted. The actual data is not removed it just noted for availability. This has the potential to leave personal information on a disk drive that can be accessed by hacker and such. Wiping, writes random meaningless data to those areas thus destroying the data that was last left there and leaves it available. There are other places on the disk that has similar issues of leaving potentially personal data easily available. Wipe disk destroys the data since its not in use anyway. I think I got it right.
pascal
Yep, exactly right. Most operating systems work this way, they mark the space as available and use it if needed. This means data could stay on the drive for a long time depending on the usage habits of the user.

Thanks Blitz,
I am trying the BCWipe now. To wipe if fully will take 23 hours!!
pascal
23 hours for a secure wipe on a large hard drive isn't bad. Depending on paranoia level, you could reduce the number of passes to 2 or 3.

USMC_G19
06-24-2009, 11:05
on xp you can simple run cipher.exe /w:driveletter:
to write over freespace

pascal
06-24-2009, 14:22
Hey USMC_G19,
Can't find cipher.exe on my istall of XP Home SP3. Thanks for your response.
pascal