155gr barnes xpb 10mm data [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 155gr barnes xpb 10mm data

PaleGreenHorse
06-14-2009, 13:51
I emailed Mike McNett at DT about the terminal performance of this loading yesterday. Obviously we all realize hes a very busy man and in no way do I expect a prompt answer from him....so I will turn to the community of 10 ringers here for helpful answers until Mike has the time to respond. While I dont base things solely off of ordinance gelatin tests or wetpacks, I would like to get some sort of physical data involving the penetration of this load. Believe me when I say I know about the 25% deeper statements as well as the ones comparing penetration to the gold dots and golden sabers in slightly heavier weights but this is just reiterated from the same unproven sources. Any tests or experience with the 155gr. xpb with actual 4 legged critters or 10% ordinance would be fantastic. I would also like to know how the feeding reliability is in a G29 (mine eats everything so Im not too concerned, I just want to know from others as well) The barnes solid copper lines seem to hold up well at the higher velocities and are an approved loading for the .40sw, but there was some talk of slightly missing the 12" penetration mark, which to me is unacceptable as I personally prefer through and through penetration.
The lighter weight concerns me slightly but I see a lot of potential for this load as an EDC if it can match the performance of the 165gr & 180gr. gold/golden loads. Any additional data will be much appreciated guys. :juggle:

_The_Shadow
06-14-2009, 14:14
PaleGreenHorse, While the concept of the "All Copper Bullets were to meet the uses of the so called "Green Community" I don't like the exotic bullets first off they are too expensive and don't perform any better than a standard JHP of good design.

Plain lead bullets have performed well over many years and jacketed hollow points have improved on terminal performance slightly.

If you are loading these Barnes bullets remember copper is lighter than lead and they are longer than regular jacketed bullets of comparable weights. This will occupy case capacity so take this in to account while loading.

PaleGreenHorse
06-14-2009, 14:35
Thanks for the quick reply shadow, yeah the solid coppers do limit the 10mm's weight diversity quite a bit, and like stated before the limitation to lighter weight concerns me when penetration is involved but they seem to offer very consistant expansion with fantastic weight retention. Another thing that intrests me is how the bullets hold up with higher velocities as I have seen gold dots in 155 fragment. Mileage may vary and personal needs may warrant it, but for me I prefer something that holds together consistantly without any petal shedding. Ive recovered some of my 165gr. gold dots from various media that seemed to have folded to far back and some 180gr. G. sabers that had jacket seperation. If the 155gr xpb solves some of these things that I find to be inconsistancies of lead construct, without sacrificing penetration or reliability, Id like to believe it may be very small step foward...and I will take every bit of slightly better for my EDC. My current carry loads are 165gr. GD's summer...180gr. GD's winter.

PaleGreenHorse
06-15-2009, 11:40
Mike's customer service is second to none IMHO, I have been shooting DT for about 5 years and he never disappoints. Here is the email I recieved promptly from him about the terminal performance about the 155gr. xpb load.

In ordinance gel: 15.5" and .84" expansion. Full expansion is at 6.5" They give a larger temporary wound channel than a heavier slower JHP, but they give the same penetration depth as our 180gr. BDHP. It is worth taking a look at, but the load you are carrying (165gr. BDHP) is an outstanding performer. If you need more penetration than the 165gr, then the 155gr. xpb is the way to go.

The above info is straight from Mike McNett and with his permission we should all like it to be stickied with his other gel data here on GT.
PGH.

Bile
06-15-2009, 13:07
PaleGreenHorse, thanks for asking the question and posting the response. I carry Double Tap's 155 grain X-Bullet load in my Glock 29 and wondered how deep it'd penetrate jello.

The X-Bullet was developed long before the green idiots began banning lead. It was developed because hunters wanted a bullet that didn't come apart or loose weight when hitting muscle and bone. it accomplishes that task perfectly. In my opinion, the X-Bullet it is the perfect combination of expansion and penetration and was pleased to see it being offered for handguns.

In the 155 grain load, it blends low recoil with terminal performance usually left to bullets weighing 20 grains more. What more could one ask for.

Camp and Carry
06-16-2009, 06:06
In the 155 grain load, it blends low recoil with terminal performance usually left to bullets weighing 20 grains more. What more could one ask for.

How about a price comparable to the jacketed bullets. Paying an extra $20/box if a hefty ransom for slightly improved performance.

For two legged critters I carry the 165's, for four legged critters I carry either the 200gr fmj or jhp controlled expansion. If a 165 comes apart in a target, GOOD. I don't think it is an issue in the 200gr loads running 1250 fps though.

Just my thoughts:whistling: Thanks for the info on the Barnes.

s0nspark
02-13-2010, 08:53
I've got to say... I am on the fence with this.

All I have read about the performance of the TAC-XP is impressive, especially from a 10mm platform... but the does the cost justify? Can I corroborate the results myself?

Hmm...

I am on the verge of getting a Dillon progressive press and starting hand loading and the cost to me for hand loading Barnes TAC-XP over new Win Mag primers + BlueDot powder + Starline brass is rather high ... well, can you say understatement?? $1 a round for a hand load??

I guess I am just trying to establish a reliable perspective... Thoughts?

Bile
02-26-2010, 14:21
The 155 grain load from DT is loaded right up against the maximum wall - for maximum performance. That is exactly where I want it, but don't want to load it myself with the wall so close. So I buy it from DT, and load other loads that shoot to the same point of impact for practice.

Look, I know the stuff is expensive, but if one only runs a few boxes through the barrel each year, only keeps a half dozen magazines full for walking around, and backs it up with a few boxes on the shelf, it isn't that much. Right?

10's ain't cheap, or slow, or weak, or 45 ACPs. The best costs money.:cool:

hypnagogue
02-27-2010, 09:43
The equivalent product from Cor-Bon (DPX) sells like hotcakes at $40 for 20 rounds, and the DPX 10mm loading is only 1200 fps (that's right... indistiguishable from 40 S&W). In other words, Doubletap is 40% cheaper than the competition, with 40% more energy.

My limited testing with Cor-Bon DPX in 40 S&W has me 100% sold on this type of bullet for self-defense. It expands like clockwork, but holds together and penetrates deep. I've shot it through water jugs, and it die-cut a 6 pointed star on the back side of the jug -- I've never seen anything like it. At Doubletap velocities it looks like a decent hunting bullet as well, and it will be my choice this fall if 200 grain XTPs continue to be unavailable.

If you guys are suffering so much under Pharaoh's thumb that you can't afford a whole box, then why don't you get together here and split a box between yourselves. $30 for 25 rounds is cheap for world class carry ammo.

As for reloading, the bullets cost $30 for 40 (!), so good luck trying to roll your own for under $1 a round.

Forgoten214
03-17-2010, 14:35
So has anyone tested these yet? I'm still waiting for the data results.

Posted on 10mmtalk about this load over a year ago.

Iceman cHucK
03-21-2010, 10:09
DT155 Barnes
Stock G20 1257fps (544ftlbs)
6" Glock barrel 1313fps (593ftlbs)

Expansion in wet newspapers was .7->75" with petals folded back
Good penetration and fed well.

for comparison:
DT165GD
Stock G20 1358fps (675ftlbs)
6" Glock barrel 1432fps (751ftlbs)

Expansion in wet newspapers was a little over 1" with petals at max expansion; with good penetration and fed 100%