Gun ranges (good and bad) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun ranges (good and bad)

RWBlue
06-14-2009, 21:45
I would like to see this stickied if you VA people can list out the good and bad gun ranges.

For me I am interested in the ones close to Alexandria, VA.

TScottW99
06-14-2009, 22:32
Do you mean this sticky?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242060

Not really a critic of the ranges but people say where they shoot.

Fungunner
06-15-2009, 03:26
Good or bad, I think the closest one to you may be Gilbert's in Lorton.

Alexandria isn't the most gun friendly town in the Commonwealth, and without Statewide governance, would probably have laws close to DCs (IMO).

Olivers_AR
06-15-2009, 09:33
If you haven't been to the NRA HQ range, its certainly worth a visit. Open to the public and there is a short multiple choice test on firearm safety. Also recommend the National Firearms Museum, which is in the same building.

The sticky list outlines other options in the area.

RWBlue
06-17-2009, 07:28
Looks like I was blind. I didn't see the other stick, from the Trio.

Good or bad, I think the closest one to you may be Gilbert's in Lorton.

Alexandria isn't the most gun friendly town in the Commonwealth, and without Statewide governance, would probably have laws close to DCs (IMO).

I see how they are not really gun friendly, but it isn't that bad from what I see also.

rwrjr
06-17-2009, 12:07
+1 to the NRA HQ range.

RWBlue
07-26-2009, 17:17
Are there any longer rifle ranges in this state?

I mean I would be happy with a 100 yards at this point.

Nubbins
07-26-2009, 18:58

There is Clark Brothers just west of Warrenton VA and Izaak Walton in
Centreville Va
Izaak Walton you must be a member but its not hard about $120 a year and a few hours of time doing some work on site

RWBlue
07-26-2009, 19:59
I never knew how good I had it.

alien-Glocker
07-27-2009, 14:41

There is a 100 yard "sight-in" range at the Phelps Wild Life Management Area in Remington (actually Summer Duck), 50 or so miles out Route 29 from Northern VA, open post labor day through April. Gets a bit busy just before hunting season.

6-bench stations, covered. Nice facility and ride with the kids for a day out shooting, no handguns.

watsoncb
07-29-2009, 19:11
There is the Blue Ridge Arsenal indoor range near Rt 50 & 28 in western Fairfax County. They have two ranges open to the public. They also rent firearms. There are no tests to ensure the individual is familar with standard range safety rules to use the range.

I have gone there but prefer the NRA range because there is more "active" range officer presence at the NRA range. I have looked down the barrel of too many firearms at Blue Ridge.

Plus the NRA has better lighting, target controls and air circulation.

G30Jack
07-30-2009, 08:32
The range I teach on has rifle out to 300. We'll have 700 next year. Technically it's in WV, though.