Yet another Orlando gun range suicide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Orlando gun range suicide

40 Cal Joe
06-15-2009, 10:29
This time at the East Orange Gun Club in Winter Park. Another rented gun. This is getting a little bizare. Also, quite sad for the witnesses, the victim''s family and the victim herself.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-shooting-range-attempted-suicide-061409,0,1772757.story

Klipp
06-15-2009, 10:44
Was it a Renter or Owner?

40 Cal Joe
06-15-2009, 10:48
Accoring to the Orlando Sentinal, it was a renter.

Klipp
06-15-2009, 10:59
Also, it says she is expected to live, so "Yet another Orlando Gun range ATTEMPTED Suicide"

At least these quacks arent going in, shooting other people...like just randomly...funny thing was...I was going to head to the range today, but my lock key was on another set of keys that my wife had...so i couldnt...

LoadedTech
06-15-2009, 11:09
What is wrong with people? I understand this economy is crap, I own my own business and I know 1st hand. I haven't thought about taking my life over it. The story said they want to do background checks on renters, but that might stop 3-5% of crazy people. I guess if someone has a premeditated agenda to harm themselves, a rented gun would usually make short of it. Its just sad to hear. Makes you think when at the range if there is a nut case next to you or not.

Klipp
06-15-2009, 11:47
Shoot Straight no longer allows rentals...

M4G's
06-15-2009, 22:04
There is no way they will do away with renting range firearms. It's a big part of the business. I would imagine. I see many renters pass the counter at the two ranges i frequent. There will always be desperate people. You just see more of them acting out in times like this. We as a country are in the worse situation almost ever. So many people killed themselves in 29. Nothing you can do about it. My son told me the other day of a man in NYC that begged the cops to blow him away. He(my son)said it made him proud to be a cop to see the restraint used .Especially because the guy got pretty close to them a couple of times AND he had a large blade... the guy got himself tasered twice but hey...he was looking for the stairway to heaven...
Maybe range renters should be made to present 1 or 2 phone numbers that can be called to get that range time. After a certain number of visits the refferences are not needed any longer. I'm not saying it's a great idea but just off the top of my head . Things are bad and the left side of the isle is quickly making them worse. something is needed in times like these. After 3 1/2 more years of obama we'll be seeing much more of these desperate acts. Hope i'm wrong.

polymid
06-16-2009, 05:20
-----

Klipp
06-16-2009, 07:19
There is no way they will do away with renting range firearms. It's a big part of the business. I would imagine. I see many renters pass the counter at the two ranges i frequent. There will always be desperate people. You just see more of them acting out in times like this. We as a country are in the worse situation almost ever. So many people killed themselves in 29. Nothing you can do about it. My son told me the other day of a man in NYC that begged the cops to blow him away. He(my son)said it made him proud to be a cop to see the restraint used .Especially because the guy got pretty close to them a couple of times AND he had a large blade... the guy got himself tasered twice but hey...he was looking for the stairway to heaven...
Maybe range renters should be made to present 1 or 2 phone numbers that can be called to get that range time. After a certain number of visits the refferences are not needed any longer. I'm not saying it's a great idea but just off the top of my head . Things are bad and the left side of the isle is quickly making them worse. something is needed in times like these. After 3 1/2 more years of obama we'll be seeing much more of these desperate acts. Hope i'm wrong.

I wasn't speculating that Shoot straight would no longer rent firearms, they don't, period. Even if you are a member, and one perk of being a member was a free rental during your range time, you still can't rent a gun.

njl
06-16-2009, 18:33
Shoot Straight probably wants to wait and see what happens liability-wise with the two recent suicides before they get in any deeper.

If you want a relatively safer shooting environment in the Orlando area, I'd suggest you look into joining CFRPC or EGC...whichever is closer to you. Both are outdoor members / members & guests ranges.

viniglock
06-17-2009, 12:30
This is sad, and it seems the cheapest way to commit suicide(my LGS rent for $10), this assuming if the individuals do not have the money to buy a gun(even the cheap ones.) the cooling period and the background check, with the rent you don't have to wait the mandatory days that is required by Florida law.

kimo
06-17-2009, 13:18
Why do people in Orlando want to kill themselves?

Klipp
06-18-2009, 05:55
Shoot Straight probably wants to wait and see what happens liability-wise with the two recent suicides before they get in any deeper.

If you want a relatively safer shooting environment in the Orlando area, I'd suggest you look into joining CFRPC or EGC...whichever is closer to you. Both are outdoor members / members & guests ranges.

Can you give me the non akronymed names for those to clubs please. I'd love to have an option of an outdoor range...

where are they in orlando...

Mr Big
06-18-2009, 08:39
Sad all of it, why people feel the need to commit suicide. What happened to people jumping off of a big building, at least that would provide some entertainment.

FlaChef
06-19-2009, 13:31
Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club
Eustis Gun Club

There's also
Seminole County Gun and Archery
Chuluota Sportsmen's Club

try a little google fu

Also check wheretoshoot . org

Ahmid
06-24-2009, 05:13
There was another rental gun suicide yesterday at the Delray shooting range.
The fellow shot a couple of hundred rounds, waited for the other shooter's to leave and then shot himself in the head. He left a suicide note. This was in the Sentinel this morning, 6/24/09.

polymid
06-24-2009, 16:41
There was another rental gun suicide yesterday at the Delray shooting range.
The fellow shot a couple of hundred rounds, waited for the other shooter's to leave and then shot himself in the head. He left a suicide note. This was in the Sentinel this morning, 6/24/09.

----- (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-gun-range-suicide-062409,0,2759519.story)

black_sedan
06-24-2009, 22:46
Pretty soon there wont be anywhere for us sane gun owners to shoot.

Esco
06-24-2009, 23:03
Holy Crap!!! WTH! This is the range I go to...let me rephrase that...it's the only range I go to. Dang that is scary...seriously, I am starting to get really worried about going to the range. Who knows when the next person comes in and decides he doesn't want to go alone...I won't be able to concentrate over there anymore.

I am absolutely gonna check out those other club places that njl brought up!

BLACKMAGICK
06-25-2009, 00:38
I think membership is the way to go.

Anyone a little more south of Orlando say around Melbourne, this is the range I'll be joining; http://www.pmrpc.com/index.php

NRA membership is MANDATORY to join, as well it should be IMO (you can join the NRA on the spot at the facility if not already a member, if you are, remember to bring proof)

You have to show up on the fourth Saturday of the month at high noon to join. You will be toured, you will show proficiency (you can bring your own weapon they prefer a handgun, also bring eye and ear protection) you fill out an application and pay the fees (which vary depending on what month you join, but after the first time initiation fee is $100.00 a year) and await the decision of the board, if you're in, you get a key and a card.

This one is nice, has over a hundred acres, and includes the following:
BullsEye Pistol Range 25 and 50 yards, 25 and 50 meters (turning targets)
Rifle Bench Rest Sight-in Range (Bench rest only) 25, 100, and 200 yards
Highpower Rifle Range 200, 300, and 600 yards with 20 cantilever targets
Trap Range 16 yards to 27 yards handicap, 2 fields
Skeet Range 2 fields
Sporting Clays Range 10 stands
Silhouette Range, Pistol 40 to 100 meters
Silhouette Range, Smallbore Rifle 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters
Smallbore Range (Rimfire) 10 meters, 50 ft, 50 meters
Action Shooting Range 7 bays
Pistol Practice Range 15 yards
Rifle Practice Range 50 yards
Blackpowder Range 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards
Archery Range

Many of these are held monthly;
600 yard Highpower Rifle NM Course International Standard Pistol
600 yard Highpower Rifle Prone Anysight International Rapid Fire Pistol
Intermediate High Power Rifle Air Pistol
JC Garand Match Air Rifle
Blackpowder Rifle and Pistol Smallbore Rifle (3 position Competition)
Schuetzen Rifle Events Smallbore Rifle Silhouette
Class III (Automatic) Firearms Hunter’s Pistol Silhouette
Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays Single Action Shooting Society (SASS)
International Practical Shooting Confederation(IPSC) Youth Air Rifle
International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Youth Smallbore Rifle
US Steel Match Youth Shotgun

Esco
06-25-2009, 02:24
Lucky! I hope I can find a place like that in Orlando.

polymid
06-25-2009, 18:09
Lucky! I hope I can find a place like that in Orlando.

=====

glockpacker
06-26-2009, 14:12
I'm a member of Port Malabar club in Palm Bay, and spend my time on the 600-yard rifle range. A number of us shoot often on the 300-meter range at Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club, a really good outfit. There is a huge turnout for some of the pistol competitions they have.

I'm also a member of the Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club in the city of Hollywood (Fort Lauderdale). I'm afraid the private clubs are not immune to suicides. One of the prominent pistol shooters had monumetal legal problems, and was facing 25 or so years in jail. He shot himself in the chest with his .45. Apparently he was trying to make it look like an accident, so his family could collect on his accidental-death insurance policy. But it didn't work. He got dead, but they didn't get money.

This was about a year or so ago.

njl
07-02-2009, 08:19
Argh...another one...this time at Riegs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-gun-range-suicide-070109,0,1973083.story

I shot there once.

M4G's
07-03-2009, 23:19
I wasn't speculating that Shoot straight would no longer rent firearms, they don't, period. Even if you are a member, and one perk of being a member was a free rental during your range time, you still can't rent a gun.

Oh i see. Shoot straight is a good outfit. I liked them when i bought a nelli m4 from thier table at the ft myers gun show about 15 months ago. Nice people there.
It's a sorry shame these things happen but at least nobody else was threatened. Or worse.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''.

AA#5
07-03-2009, 23:30
I see the end of gun rentals in the future.

plainsman
07-04-2009, 00:53
Stop giving them a soapbox, if the media only reported that some stupid fool did a dispicable act, and that their estate would be sued for damages caused by the incident, and the fruitcakes body dumped in a dumpster instead of any elaborate funeral, then maybe some of these copycats would think twice.

Theskip
07-08-2009, 17:53
I know I'm a little late, but I'm also upset that there was an incident at East Orange. I shoot at that range semi-regularly, and I am not a Glock owner yet *but will be soon enough :) ...it makes me feel very uncomfortable to rent now....I've been staying away from the range unless friends of mine who own firearms want to go. I'm interested in the aforementioned clubs, I will check them out...if I can get out of public ranges and into private ones, I definitely will.