Beware: KB910721 Email [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beware: KB910721 Email

Swerved
06-17-2009, 14:43
Today my boss and a co-worker of mine both received an email that looked like it came from Microsoft. It came with an attachment and claimed it was a hotfix for Outlook Express (KB910721). That is a valid reference number for a hotfix, but not for Outlook Express.. It's for MS Exchange Server. ESET Smart Security quickly identified it as "variant of Win32/Kryptik.TL trojan" and deleted the attachment. We knew this was bogus, but I thought I'd post it just to let people know because of how well it was disguised.

In case any of you get this and your virus software doesn't catch it, delete it. Microsoft will NEVER send an update or hotfix in the form of an email attachment. They will always direct you to Windows Update to install patches. Also, inspect the header. Microsoft doesn't forward mail through addresses like "turboconrad.planet-school.de".. Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up as these little turds are getting crafty in delivering these things. A picture is attached so you can see what it looks like.