Thunderbird dumped everything [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird dumped everything

MrsKitty
06-17-2009, 17:36
I booted up this morning to have Thunderbird load and ask me to configure a new account. Just like a fresh install. So... all my mail, addys and stuff is missing.

It appears this was a minor update. Any way to un-update?

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21
Vista Home Premium

Thanks, guys. :wavey:

fairfax1
06-20-2009, 00:40
Your probably don't need to un-update. Your mail might still be there is your main profile directory, it might have gotten unlinked.

Look in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\randomletters.default\Mail\

It might also be in something like C:\users\yourusername\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\randomletters.default\Mail\

You might have to turn on hidden files to see these folders. Random letters will look like dldg13u1.default or something, it will be different on every system. Mentally replace dldg13u1.default with whatever is on your system for these directions:

If you have found these files, make a copy of the entire dldg13u1.default directory and put it on your desktop.

Close Thunderbird

Next rename the dldg13u1.default to dldg13u1.old

Restart Thunderbird

It will walk you though like your are a brand new user, just keep hitting okay until the program loads. You might have to enter an email address, just type something.

Close Thunderbird

Open C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ (or wherever you found these files)

You will be a see a new directory like f6uejfiea.default (some new random combination), open that directory. Paste the old files from your desktop into this new directory. Don't paste the actual dldg13u1.default directory, just all the files and folders that are inside of it.

Open Thunderbird, all your mail and settings should be there.

-------

Let me know if this actually made any sense.

MrsKitty
06-23-2009, 07:43
I tried this with no luck. :sad:

I finally uninstalled then reinstalled and disabled all updating.

I had a few photos saved in my mail that I wish I had really saved elsewhere.

Thanks for the help. :wavey:

Tennessee Slim
06-23-2009, 09:20
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I found a post in the T-Bird help forum at mozilla.org that said to delete the .msf file. That sounded dangerous to me so I backed up the ..\Thunderbird\profiles\. folder (JIK), deleted the .msf files, restarted T-Bird and my mail was all restored.