Carowinds: What CCW Laws Apply? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carowinds: What CCW Laws Apply?

Thx-1138
06-19-2009, 12:10
Carowinds straddles the border between South and North Carolina. It has one entrance that straddles the states, and another in SC. It's front-gate address is in NC.

In NC, you can't carry a concealed weapon into a place that charges admission.

In SC, you can.

So, if the park isn't posted, which laws apply? Do you have to follow one set of laws in the southern part of the park, and a different set in the northern?

NC Bullseye
06-19-2009, 13:50
Considering their business address is in NC I believe you'll find that they follow NC law. Even when a venue straddles boundaries the majority of the time they have to follow the regulations of what they claim as a business address.

Edited to add: Just found this:

http://www.carowinds.com/visit/visit_services.cfm

No carry.

Thx-1138
06-22-2009, 16:37
Considering their business address is in NC I believe you'll find that they follow NC law. Even when a venue straddles boundaries the majority of the time they have to follow the regulations of what they claim as a business address.

Edited to add: Just found this:

http://www.carowinds.com/visit/visit_services.cfm

No carry.

Reviewing SC Law, I can't find anything about posted "No Weapons" signs holding any legal weight. The point is still which laws they follow.

The concern I have is people who enter from the SC gate. Are they going to be subject to NC law when they never entered NC? Is Carowinds going search them, find a weapon, take them to a security office in the NC part of the park, and turn them over to NC police? :dunno: Sounds pretty fishy to me.

BigFelipe
06-22-2009, 17:00
For the sake of arguement, I have this to add; They have a line painted through the park that shows when you cross over from state to state. If you stay on the SC side and never cross, it stands to reason you are legal, but you'd never get by the metal detectors anyhow.

Sgt. Schultz
06-22-2009, 18:36
Reviewing SC Law, I can't find anything about posted "No Weapons" signs holding any legal weight. If a posted sign meets the very specific requirements outlined in SC Code of Laws, section 23-31-235 you can not carry into the posted area.

NC Bullseye
06-22-2009, 22:00
I think the manned metal detectors say it all.

My guess is that they would no allow you entry if found in the detectors and if they found you out in the park they'd ask you to leave.

As for which agency they would call if they deem it necessary to call any, I'd bet the rest of your day is a washout.

Thx-1138
06-23-2009, 09:28
They have a line painted through the park that shows when you cross over from state to state.

I remember that line running from the main gate toward the center of the park, but I don't remember seeing the line anywhere else, so I wonder if the line actually exists in the rest of the park, or if it's just there for show when you first walk in.

If a posted sign meets the very specific requirements outlined in SC Code of Laws, section 23-31-235 you can not carry into the posted area.

Ah! Good catch! I didn't notice that one when I was perusing SC Laws. OK, so if it's properly posted in SC, you can't carry past it without immediately being in violation. Pretty much like in NC, except that SC actually defines how to properly post, instead of NC's nebulous 'conspicuously posted' verbiage.

So if it's properly posted, you couldn't carry regardless. If it's NOT posted, you could theoretically carry if you're in SC (and the park was under SC jurisdiction). Regardless of whether it's posted or not, if they are under NC jurisdiction, you couldn't carry because they charge admission.

I think the manned metal detectors say it all.
For practical purposes, you're absolutely correct.

As for which agency they would call if they deem it necessary to call any, I'd bet the rest of your day is a washout.

Oh, absolutely. This thread was pretty much a theoretical exercise from the beginning. I'm intrigued by odd places like Carowinds and how the law deals with them.

NC Bullseye
06-23-2009, 11:15
Just for giggles, you ought to call and ask as "just a curious visitor" what law enforcement department has jurisdiction over the park, or who they call for law enforcement needs.

jlpayne86
07-07-2009, 07:42
dam i hadnt been in there in so long I didnt even know they had metal detectors, Thanks for the heads up, I want to take kids there, and would have been carrying.

Palmguy
07-07-2009, 07:54
dam i hadnt been in there in so long I didnt even know they had metal detectors, Thanks for the heads up, I want to take kids there, and would have been carrying.

Same here...last time I was there I don't remember metal detectors. Oh well....good thing about the parks here in Florida; no detectors and it's not illegal :wavey:

NC Bullseye
07-07-2009, 11:38
Ready for a real hoot????

Called Carowinds and asked who the primary law enforcement agency is they call when a LEO is needed in the park and the response was "It depends on where in the park the incident occurs."

If it's on the NC side they call NC and if on the SC side they call SC.

So who's going to be the sacrificial lamb and stay on the SC side if the signs aren't just right?

CarlosC
07-08-2009, 13:33
Carowinds is relatively safe, so I don't bother carrying into the park. Besides, I would be concerned with some of the rides that go upside down or have negative Gs and losing my gun, even though my holsters are pretty good. You would also have a hard time concealing in the water park...."wow, you have a big gun there, don't you?" :supergrin:

cdflippin
07-22-2009, 14:42
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was taking my CCW class the instructor said that in NC you can't carry in any place that charged admission. So that means carowinds would be out anyway, right?

NC Bullseye
07-22-2009, 21:23
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was taking my CCW class the instructor said that in NC you can't carry in any place that charged admission. So that means carowinds would be out anyway, right?

Only on the part of the park that is on the NC side.

Thx-1138
07-24-2009, 20:17

That's exactly the issue in the thread. In NC, you can't. In SC, you can. Carowinds straddles the border.

civilwarguns
08-09-2009, 14:08
By the time you get out of there you could have bought a new glock.:cool:

Disregarded9-side
08-09-2009, 21:31
...anywhere that sells tickets for entry in NC, you cannot carry with a mere NC CHP; don't know about the lower side of things.

purpledragonlily
08-13-2009, 19:41
you cannot even take a pocket knife in carowinds, my dh had one confiscated on the way in, a tiny thing on a key chain.

Doxiedad
08-15-2009, 15:14
By the time you get out of there you could have bought a new glock.:cool:
Amen to that. I haven't been in probably 10 years but last time I was there it was hella expensive :wow::wow: