Any paperwork required for face to face gun swap? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any paperwork required for face to face gun swap?

snevel
06-19-2009, 15:02
Hi All!

I've been thinking of swapping my G22 for a smaller framed G19 or G26.

A neighbor of mine is willing to swap his G26 for my G22.

Is there any paperwork that I/we would need to fill out for a face to face swap?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Simeon

Lady Glock
06-19-2009, 15:12
Depends on where you live and what the laws are in your state.

snevel
06-19-2009, 15:14
Depends on where you live and what the laws are in your state.

I live in Phoenix AZ... that's why I posted in Grand Canyon Glockers.

Simeon

Lady Glock
06-19-2009, 15:30
Private firearms transfers (i.e., transfers by non-firearms dealers) are not subject to a background check requirement in Arizona, although federal and state purchaser prohibitions still apply. No person may knowingly sell or transfer a deadly weapon to a prohibited possessor (defined under 13-3101(A)(6)). Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. 13-3102(A)(5). See the Arizona Background Checks section for further information.

A person is criminally liable for the crime of “misconduct involving weapons” if he or she knowingly supplies, sells or gives possession or control of a firearm to another person, if the seller or transferor knows or has reason to know that the other person would use the firearm in the commission of any felony. Section 13-3102(A)(14).

Arizona prohibits any person from selling or giving a firearm or ammunition or a toy pistol from which dangerous and explosive substances may be discharged to a minor (defined as a person under age 18; see 1-215(22)), without written consent of the minor’s parent or legal guardian. Section 13-3109(A).

This prohibition does not apply to the temporary transfer of firearms and ammunition by firearms safety instructors, hunter safety instructors, competition coaches or their assistants, if the minor’s parent or guardian has given consent for the minor to participate in activities such as firearms or hunting safety courses, firearms competition, or training. Section 13-3109(C). With the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian, the temporary transfer of firearms and ammunition by an adult accompanying minors engaged in hunting or formal or informal target shooting activities shall be allowed for those purposes.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113590

Lady Glock
06-19-2009, 15:32
I would suggest a minimum of a sales receipt noting the seriel number of the gun, the name and DL# of the purchaser

Nytemare
06-19-2009, 15:56
I would either contact the local Sheriff's office and ask them or at least write/type up a bill of sale.

snevel
06-19-2009, 16:14
Private firearms transfers [.. delete much useful information ../]

Thanks!!

This is just the sort of information I was looking for.

Simeon

OXCOPS
06-19-2009, 19:59
Write a bill of sale. When you sell something of value (guns, cars, etc.), never let the paper trail stop with you. Should your neighbor sell the gun to someone else, then they use it to kill a dozen people, it can cause you problems. When the serial number is run, it will come back to you from manufacturer, then distributor, then FFL, then you. You want to make sure you have some documentation to give investigators showing that you legally disposed of it.

snevel
06-19-2009, 21:58
Write a bill of sale. When you sell something of value (guns, cars, etc.), never let the paper trail stop with you.

This sounds good to me...

The guy I'd swap with in a close-by neighbor. I've known him for about 5 years and he's an AZ CCW holder so I'm not worried about any federal, state or local "prohibited possessor" status.

If I do this, I'll make up a couple of simple bills of sale for each side of the swap w/ the serial numbers and room for our signatures.

Simeon

OXCOPS
06-20-2009, 21:17
Only reason I do a bill of sale with EVERYONE (no matter how close of a friend) is CYA. Think back to 10 years ago. What guns did you have then? Do you have them now? If the answer is no, then a BOS is the way to go. You can trade with a trusted friend, but they can trade to someone else, and so on.

Before long, you don't know where your gun is until someone comes knocking on the door.

jhayesvw
07-13-2009, 21:06
If you decide NOT to trade with your neighbor, tell me, i have a Gen 3 Glock 22C that i would love to trade for a 26.
I also have a G27 that i would trade for a G26.
as for selling/trading handguns here in AZ. i always do a bill of sale for safety's sake.