Replacement (and rant) for Word 2007? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement (and rant) for Word 2007?

bchandler
06-21-2009, 13:31
Does anyone know if MS is coming out with a replacement for Office 2007 any time soon? I HATE this software. It is so hard to use and so anti-intuitive, it is impossible to get anything done. For example, whenever I select a different font and type with it, as soon as I go to a new line, it switches back to the old font! What the hell is that? I know you're supposed to make a new "profile" for the text types you want, but it really shouldn't be that complicated to change fonts. Also, when typing up something recently, I was trying to figure out how to left justify, right justify, and center text all on the same line. I guess it is impossible because searching with help and on the web turned up nothing.

Is there a source for Office 2003 somewhere? This package was simple and easy to use. I remember not having much experience with word processors before using 2003, and I picked it up quickly. OR- is there a skin somewhere that makes 2007 appear to be 2003? Like they have on media players?

kc8ykd
06-21-2009, 13:41
I believe there is a new version of office due out late this year or sometime next year.

I wouldn't count on it being more like office 2k3 tho.. :(

Check out www.openoffice.org It's free and might be a bit more intuitive. It took me a while to get used to office 2k7, missing menu bars and all.

I found this on Amazon, office 2k3, for $399:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Professional-2003-VERSION/dp/B0000AZJVC

Keoking
06-21-2009, 13:46
Funny. I too had Office 2003 separation anxiety. I ended up getting Outlook 2007, Word 2007, Excel 2007, and Powerpoint 2007 books. Not the dummy books, but the 3 inch thick ones. I use these 4 applications a total of 4-5 hrs a day on average, so I really need to be proficient. Reading these books was definitely the right choice. They covered 90% of the things I needed to know. Like you said, there were a lot of behavioral changes between 2003 and 2007.

bchandler
06-21-2009, 14:19
It seems MS has traded productivity for artistic BS. All their latest releases have had the priority on looks instead of functionality. Even if I did learn all the functions in word 2007, it still takes more clicks of the mouse to do the same command as it did in 2003. I feel like if one needs to learn a whole new program, why not just switch to other software? Luckily, I am just a student and can take my time on most stuff, but I couldn't imagine being a cubicle drone and having this new software forced on me while having to keep the same tight deadlines. That would be major stress!

The only reason I have 2007 is because MS offered the suite to students for $60 or something like that. There's no way I can afford 2003 for $400! I'd gladly trade my Office 2007 disks for 2002 disks, though.

kc8ykd
06-21-2009, 14:42
It seems MS has traded productivity for artistic BS. All their latest releases have had the priority on looks instead of functionality. Even if I did learn all the functions in word 2007, it still takes more clicks of the mouse to do the same command as it did in 2003. I feel like if one needs to learn a whole new program, why not just switch to other software? Luckily, I am just a student and can take my time on most stuff, but I couldn't imagine being a cubicle drone and having this new software forced on me while having to keep the same tight deadlines. That would be major stress!

The only reason I have 2007 is because MS offered the suite to students for $60 or something like that. There's no way I can afford 2003 for $400! I'd gladly trade my Office 2007 disks for 2002 disks, though.

Maybe try craig's list for an even swap on the software? Although, I don't know if the license for the student edition is transferable after the initial buyer to another party.

And ya, I find that 'ribbon' concept for the menu bars a bit annoying at times.

check out openoffice.org It looks a lot more like office 2k3 and has all the same functionality. It's also priced right for students (free!).

bchandler
06-21-2009, 17:33
I've seen the openoffice. I think I will give it a try next time I need to type up something :).

Sgt. Schultz
06-21-2009, 19:41
Go here http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

for some free Office 2007 add-ins that will replace the new ribbon and give you the "Classic" file menu from older versions of Office.

grokdesigns
06-21-2009, 20:48
I've already tested Office 2010, it's going to be very much like 2007, so you're out of luck there. You just want to start getting used to it, especially if it's used for business, as it will continue to be the standard for the foreseeable future.

As intuitive as it may seem without much use, Microsoft actually gathered an insane amount of data about how people used Office 2003 to develop the interface for 2007. When you install Office and allow it to send Microsoft data, it's sending things like what functions you use and how you access them (keyboard shortcut, menu, icon, etc.).

If you really want to stick to the older type of interface, use OpenOffice as recommended.

srhoades
06-22-2009, 09:18
They are up to office 2007 Service Pack 2, make sure you have that. It might fix some of the bugs you are experiencing.

IndyGunFreak
06-22-2009, 10:51
I've seen the openoffice. I think I will give it a try next time I need to type up something :).

It really is a quality, complete office suite. I use it for everything, and have never had a need to pay for office software since I started using it about 6yrs ago.

Its probably not for everyone, but it is worth giving a shot before shelling out big bucks for Office.

IGF

MB-G26
06-23-2009, 05:12
Open Office has worked well for me when I've needed to play silly games with things that Word97 can't handle. I, personally, have no desire to upgrade Word97, although we did have to do that on kiddo's laptop since he started ASU (college) last year.

solomansousana
06-23-2009, 13:44
No joke, both my wife and I have MS-Office Pro 2003 installed along with MS-Office Pro 2007 plus installed into another directory. We have both gone back to Office 2003. Now, we both use OpenOffice on our U3 drives as you can save documents in office format.