Samsung LED TV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung LED TV

pesticidal
06-21-2009, 19:41
A couple months ago, I looked at the new LED Tv's. Impressive, but at $3800 for the 55" model, I wasn't interested. 3 weeks ago, they went on sale for $3,299, last wee $3,099, now this week they're at $2,899.

Any idea of what price they're going to stabilize at?

gh0st614
06-21-2009, 19:46
Im sure we will keep watching them all drop. In the end this organic LED stuff is supposed to be pretty cheap in comparison. To Plasma and LCD

MavsX
06-22-2009, 13:21
hey man. i got a buddy at work who bought a led lcd tv i think he paid $3300. for the 55 inch (samsung)

He got the 6000 model.

ugh, there is a known problem with these called the "flashlight effect". You seriously need to look it up before throwing down $3k. check out avsforums.com i think there are some 90 pages threads with pictures, talking all about it.

Basically, if you are watching a movie or tv show with the lights off. If the scene you are watching is dark. Like that batman scene with batman and joker( in the police interrogation room) . You see what looks like someone is shinning a flashlight on to the screen from different corners of the tv. Its just the backlight bleeding through. But it looks awful....

Also, there is another feature called auto motion plus (i think), where the tv actually inserts frames into the picture, which makes action scenes seems fake and the motion just moves weird. And sometimes, especially moves with lots of CGI, like transformers, when black objects appear on the screen, lots of distortion appears. We saw this on blu rays and dvd's old and new movies. And sometimes the frames will speed up, when they aren't supposed to, beause of the auto motion plus feature. The good news is you can turn that feature off, and it makes the tv look a lot better. The bad news is the flashlight effect is a real problem.

Good luck man. My buddy literally spent 15-20 hours researching this problem. He spent that amount of time after he bought the tv, and discovered the problem. Then got a replacement, meanwhile he found the forums with people saying the same thing. The replacement tv was worst than the first as far as the flashlight effect.

He ended up taking it back and getting a 63 inch Samsung plasma. We think the technology for the led lcd's just aren't there yet.

good luck man!

g29andy
06-22-2009, 13:48
Don't know about the new LED flat panel TV's, but I have a Samsung 67" DLP that uses a LED light source. Saves on power, and no bulb to burn out. Downside is you can't hang it on a wall, but I don't need that where it sits.

pesticidal
06-22-2009, 15:22
hey man. i got a buddy at work who bought a led lcd tv i think he paid $3300. for the 55 inch (samsung)

He got the 6000 model.

ugh, there is a known problem with these called the "flashlight effect". You seriously need to look it up before throwing down $3k. check out avsforums.com i think there are some 90 pages threads with pictures, talking all about it.

Basically, if you are watching a movie or tv show with the lights off. If the scene you are watching is dark. Like that batman scene with batman and joker( in the police interrogation room) . You see what looks like someone is shinning a flashlight on to the screen from different corners of the tv. Its just the backlight bleeding through. But it looks awful....

Also, there is another feature called auto motion plus (i think), where the tv actually inserts frames into the picture, which makes action scenes seems fake and the motion just moves weird. And sometimes, especially moves with lots of CGI, like transformers, when black objects appear on the screen, lots of distortion appears. We saw this on blu rays and dvd's old and new movies. And sometimes the frames will speed up, when they aren't supposed to, beause of the auto motion plus feature. The good news is you can turn that feature off, and it makes the tv look a lot better. The bad news is the flashlight effect is a real problem.

Good luck man. My buddy literally spent 15-20 hours researching this problem. He spent that amount of time after he bought the tv, and discovered the problem. Then got a replacement, meanwhile he found the forums with people saying the same thing. The replacement tv was worst than the first as far as the flashlight effect.

He ended up taking it back and getting a 63 inch Samsung plasma. We think the technology for the led lcd's just aren't there yet.

good luck man!

Crap, I've heard of that, but thought that was on the LCD sets. I'll look it up in the forum, thanks

MavsX
06-22-2009, 16:18
Crap, I've heard of that, but thought that was on the LCD sets. I'll look it up in the forum, thanks

no problem. I think the only major problem that i have heard about with LCD sets..meaning fluorescent lcd sets is the viewing angle. So you can't see the screen when at 160 degrees or whatever...flashlight effect may be an issue too.

Well, do some research and let us know what you find out!

ronterry
06-29-2009, 18:15
Don't know about the new LED flat panel TV's, but I have a Samsung 67" DLP that uses a LED light source. Saves on power, and no bulb to burn out. Downside is you can't hang it on a wall, but I don't need that where it sits.

Have the same one Lovette, awesome TV. I got my older Samsung 56" declared a lemon after three light engines died inside of 2.5 years. I upgraded to the DLP/LED 67" for $500.00 - plus another $400 for a four year warranty.
Anybody getting one of these is nuts not to have an extended warranty!!! The light engines alone cost 1200+ bucks!!! ...and not to mention Murphy's Law will slap you in the face as soon as the factory warranty runs out!
The warranty through Best Buy/Geek Squad is absolutely the best!!! Heck they delivered my new TV, and took the old one in two days, and that's only cause I live rural...

Believe it or not, this 67" has been running for 24/7 for almost a year!!!
Don't get me started with those xenon bulbs!!! Freakin 160 bucks, and they only lasted about 4000 hours... The LED have a service life of 60,000 hours, and the rainbow effect is non existent, unlike the old color wheel + bulb!

Blu-Ray + Samsung 67" DLP/LED is absolutely jaw dropping! Even though I was an HD-DVD fan!!! But I have to go with what the people wanted - a name and not a better format :faint:

RaiderRodney
07-07-2009, 07:50
Too much money atm in my honest. Especially when the Panasonic ( and whats left of the Kuros) plasmas still offer much better picture quality overall.

Unless power consumption is your #1 priority I would never suggest an LCD over Plasma :/ And the new neo panels from Panasonic have narrowed that gap as well ;)