Booting a OS from a thumb drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Booting a OS from a thumb drive

gh0st614
06-21-2009, 21:29
Hey guys working on getting a version of Ubuntu booting from my flash drive. I feel like I have all the bios settings right and the OS installed properly but whenever I try to boot it will say windows had trouble starting and it gives me all my safe mode options. I can go into windows fine but I cant find any way to get this to boot.

grokdesigns
06-21-2009, 21:38
How did you get it onto the USB drive to begin with? I'd recommend trying UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). You can also boot to the Live CD, go to System Administration and run the Live USB creator.

gh0st614
06-21-2009, 21:56
I found a cool site called pendrivelinux.com

It has the install file and the os for abunch of different distros. It booted up fine this time I dont know what I changed but I cant get it to see my wireless card yet. Off to more googling :/

Do you know what a persistant version is?

grokdesigns
06-22-2009, 00:07

It has the install file and the os for abunch of different distros. It booted up fine this time I dont know what I changed but I cant get it to see my wireless card yet. Off to more googling :/

A persistent install means it saves any changes you make while booted into it.

IndyGunFreak
06-22-2009, 08:29

I'd agree to try Unetbootin, its pretty easy to put almost any distro on a bootable thumb drive. As for making it persistant, I've never personally done that, but I know it can be done..