Another dreaded news about Father/son on guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another dreaded news about Father/son on guns

VICARA
06-22-2009, 13:31
It grieves me to learn about this attempt of a father to initiate a young son to guns that happens to be his last. What a way to go! Yes, $h#@!% happens but man, this one is definitely not a first-rate. What the guy was thinking? And itís a .45 my god! How can a 5 year old boy clears the chamber even on a condition 1?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20090621-211699/Boy-accidentally-shoots-dead-dad

There was a thread way back down the list re: the youngest shooter. Honestly, I was wincing every time the little boy racks the slide and starts shooting and was wondering how can those tiny hands handle the recoil. Now the question is, is 5 year old too young to start them on our sports? If I have a youngster, I might wait a little longer bringing them to the range.

Its a sad news, indeed! my condolences to the family.

horge
06-22-2009, 16:11
That was going bad right from the start.
Terrible tragedy, and I hope that some way,
the poor child can recover from this.

Glockcz
06-22-2009, 18:59
Terrible tragedy indeed. I can't imagine the pychological trauma that the child will surely experience. Going back to the OP's question, I think there should be an age limit before one is allowed to engage in practical shooting. I mean, there are many activities that have age limits before one can engage into. Why not for something as dangerous as practical shooting? I think the ipsc, ppsa and other organizations should at least adopt some guidelines or policy regarding this.

Fire1
06-22-2009, 19:09
It is really sad that this occurred. Perhaps the father was trying to teach his son to be the man of the house in his absence (army), where they live he might have wanted his kid to be prepared to protect the family. Terrorists are active in PI and the father being in the army might have made the family a target. Such a sad event...thank God the mother survived though.

Kaiser Soze
06-22-2009, 19:26
Although I grieve for the family, I am an advocate for teaching children about firearms at an early age. My father introduced my entire family, including my sisters, to firearms at an early age, and bought us our first airguns at age 6, we were firing .22's by age 7, and by age 8 my dad had already introduced me to his .38 revolver and his 1911. Perhaps 5 was too early to introduce his child to a centerfired firearm, much less teaching him to rack it, but children should be exposed to firearms and safety concepts early on so that they will respect firearms and know that they can be harmful to others if used irresponsibly.

We all grew up with that mindset, and despite our knowing the combination of the gun safe, not one of us ever tinkered with the firearms without our father's consent or presence.

MERCMADE
06-22-2009, 20:44
sad sad sad.
I dont think that age should be the basis for measuring maturity, ultimately the parent should decide if a child is mature enough for any undertaking. More often than not I am sure the parent will be right in judging this, nag karoon lang ng lapse in judgement siguro ung dad dito, yun nga lang it proved to be fatal. tsk tsk

wdl
06-22-2009, 20:46
It seems to me that the boy was not even trained about the basics of safe gun handling!

ppts799
06-23-2009, 07:03
. . . and then there was the simple honking of a car at cavite that ended up with 6 bodies :(

or was it 7 already?

kristiansen
06-23-2009, 08:26
5 yr. old is too young to handle a gun and comprehend safety issues.

isuzu
06-23-2009, 19:45
I bought my son a Henry Mini-Bolt. He only handles the rifle whenever I'm around, and he's doing his first live-fire session after three months of getting to know his equipment.

anticentipede
07-07-2009, 06:43
children that young should be taught with a rifle first, preferably a single shot rifle, or even a bolt action or a lever action, semi auto should only be taught later.

handguns should be taught last.

and why was the gun loaded? if i was going to teach a child, i would use an unloaded gun or at least use snapcaps first, until the child has shown he has trigger control.