Nevada halting Nevada/Florida reciprocity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nevada halting Nevada/Florida reciprocity

glockpacker
06-26-2009, 13:35
This is an absurd act that will cost Nevada's economy. Florida has upwards of 600,000 license holders, and will turn many off from visiting Nevada.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5001

Nevada Will No Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry Permits

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Effective, July 1, Nevada will no longer recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Utah or Florida. They have, however, added Ohio and West Virginia as recognized states.

Each May, the Nevada Department of Public Safety conducts an audit of states and their Right-to-Carry laws for the purpose of determining which states it will recognize.

The Nevada DPS dropped Utah because it does not have a live fire requirement, which is a part of Nevada's training requirements. When the Nevada DPS first began its state by state audit of Right-to-Carry laws in 2007, DPS admitted to NRA representatives that they overlooked the live fire training requirement. After further review, they determined that Utah wasn't similar enough to keep it on the list of recognized states.

Florida will no longer be recognized because its permits are now valid for seven years instead of five. (How ABSURD is this?)

The Nevada DPS and the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs will be hosting their annual Right-to-Carry forum in Carson City in August with a teleconference feed to Las Vegas. We encourage all members to attend this informational meeting. Details will be forthcoming.

----------------------------------

Here is a discussion on it we're having in Florida...

http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58433&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Can the Glockers put in a word for us with the Governor's office?

tactical9mm
06-27-2009, 16:44
In my opinion, the real absurdity is requiring permits to carry concealed firearms to begin with. There are an abundance of states (including Nevada) that like to call our right a "privilege" and infringe on our ability to carry in any manner that we deem appropriate. They feel that taxing us, registering us (via fingerprinting), and in some cases making us sign waivers of our constitutional rights to allow us to exercise our "privileges" is acceptable.

The whole issue of reciprocity would be moot if every state did not require carry permits.

But to address your post directly, you will still be able to openly carry in Nevada assuming the idiocy that is being proposed does in fact go through. I know Florida doesn't give you the option of openly carrying, but it is perfectly legal here. Doesn't matter if you are resident or non-resident as long as your weapon is legally possessed.

Good luck to you, sir.

bigdaddyjav
06-28-2009, 02:23
Don't be fooled by our open carry law, and think you can waltz down "The Strip" while O.C.ing! All that will get you is a starring role in "The Curb Sandwich Chronicles", co-starring the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. You'll be an instant hit on YouTube, right up there with Bumfights! O.C. is allowed here in the Silver State, but frowned upon in the tourist areas. Discretion is the best advice!

Quiet
06-28-2009, 16:44
Open carry is legal in NV because they are no laws aganist open carry.
There also is no law that says open carry is legal.

It is highly frowned upon to open carry where the tourists are (the strip, Fremont St, etc.).

If you do so, LVMPD will show up and talk to you.

Your level of co-operation/attitude will determine how you will be treated.
Can end up being a 10-15 min stop & talk where you comply with all their requests (ID/blue card/etc.) to a 60+ min detention with you sitting in handcuffs because you refused to co-operate.

So, don't open carry where the tourists are.

Tourists = money for NV = sheeple that get scared of guns & call police with "man with gun" = scared sheeple don't spend money = no money for NV

Remember some of the tourists in Vegas come from other countries and in some of those countries, it is illegal for law-abiding subjects to own guns.

There are some that feel if people who open carry cause too much of a negative image/be confrontational towards LE/scare too many tourists, that there may be a push to make it illegal.

tactical9mm
06-29-2009, 12:44
I agree with Quiet, and should have qualified my initial post in this thread. Open has been my only method of carry for several years now, but I have always followed what I would personally consider to be common sense when I carry.

I rarely go down to the strip or any of the tourist meccas, but when I do I always drop my holster and store my pistol securely in my vehicle when I need to go about my business on foot in those areas.

To me it makes sense, and I should have said so.

I do feel that the "some" who would push to make any form of carry illegal in our state would be risking their careers, and committing political suicide. It wouldn't happen. I think the next step for our state is to embrace a permit-less concealed carry law similar to what Arizona is attempting to do right now, rather then moving backwards.

In closing I will say this: When you do carry openly you represent all gun-owners to the general public, and need to act accordingly. There should be no "negative publicity", or being "confrontational" with any law enforcement that is trying to do their job.

Rather then not visiting our state, you do have an option if you feel the need to carry while here. Just employ common sense and discretion, as this thread suggests.

Quiet
07-01-2009, 12:11
NV DPS (http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml) was changed. UT & FL removed and WV & OH added.

Utah DPS (http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html) changed NV to a state that does not recognize UT permits.

FL DACS (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html) removed NV from list of states that have reciprocity with FL.

Also on the FL website.
This list was last updated on July 1, 2009, when the State of Nevada was removed from the reciprocity list. Authorities in Nevada notified the Division of Licensing that as of that date, Nevada would no longer honor Florida concealed weapon licenses. Therefore, in accordance with the reciprocity provision set forth in section 790.015, Florida Statutes, Florida could no longer honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the State of Nevada.

Quiet
07-02-2009, 04:26
The ACLU of NV is asking...

If you have been stopped by the LVMPD solely because you were open carrying, the ACLU has agreed to do a very preliminary investigation. They are looking for people who were doing nothing but carrying a sidearm and there was no additional reason for them to be stopped (ie, holding up a bank!)

Lee Rowland
Northern Coordinator, ACLU of Nevada
Nevada Bar No. 10209
(775) 786-1033
1325 Airmotive Way, Suite 202
Reno, NV 89502
leebrowland@gmail.com

:wow:

andydg
07-02-2009, 20:12
Ridiculous. Just because a state has a 7 year renewal they take them off the list. Common sense out the window. I guess after 5 years something was happening to the permit or permit holder causing them to become an unlawful U.S. Citizen overnight. Unbelievable.

glock-fan
07-02-2009, 20:20
There should be only one ccw permit valid in all states. :wave:

John's 26
07-08-2009, 13:24
Hmmmm, this could be interesting...:popcorn:

The ACLU of NV is asking...

:wow:

Deployment Solu
07-08-2009, 13:37
I believe the reason Fla and UT were removed from reciprocity states is that neither requires you to shoot a qualification. (Demonstrates Proficiency). Many states are not considering states CCW's equal unless they also have a shooting portion of the testing. You must make bullets come out of the gun.......

glockscience
07-31-2009, 21:22
I believe the reason Fla and UT were removed from reciprocity states is that neither requires you to shoot a qualification. (Demonstrates Proficiency). Many states are not considering states CCW's equal unless they also have a shooting portion of the testing. You must make bullets come out of the gun.......

The above quote is exactly what I was told by my CCW instructor.

Kosher Larry
09-19-2009, 17:54

Florida does require you to live fire and demonstrate that you know how to safely operate a weapon. It's not scored, but the instructor does have limited discretion. My instructor actually failed on guy in our class. I could never do the scene justice by typing it out, but this guy was just NOT safe. I seriously thought I was gonna get shot my a ND on his part.

According to the NRA's posting, it's because FL extended its permits to 7 years from 5.