Should a DSL modem get hot to the touch? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should a DSL modem get hot to the touch?

Thirties
06-26-2009, 16:17
I have a Motorola DSL Ethernet/wireless modem supplied by my local phone monopoly. This baby gets really hot on top. Is this normal?

It also pops up red in the Iinternet" light once in a while. I am getting tired of turning on and off the darn machine.

Sgt. Schultz
06-26-2009, 17:53
I have a Motorola DSL Ethernet/wireless modem supplied by my local phone monopoly. This baby gets really hot on top. Is this normal?Yes it's normal for DSL/Cable modems to get very warm during normal operation, just make sure that air can flow around it easily.

It also pops up red in the Iinternet" light once in a while. I am getting tired of turning on and off the darn machine.Perhaps this light is "measuring" traffic flow on the Internet? Why are you turning it off?

Thirties
06-26-2009, 17:56
I turn it off when the browser freezes, or the internet light goes red. Then I turn it on, after a count to ten.

This is what the recorded message says while you wait for customer service.

slewfoot
06-26-2009, 18:22
Mine has been on all day. Barely warm.

Sgt. Schultz
06-26-2009, 20:39
I turn it off when the browser freezes, or the internet light goes red. Then I turn it on, after a count to ten.

This is what the recorded message says while you wait for customer service.All electronic devices generate heat and some do get very warm during normal use, however if you think that your modem is overheating and it is causing you problems I would have your ISP replace it.

KharToon
07-02-2009, 22:11
Something isn't right. Either you have a bad modem (maybe the high heat is a symptom or the cause) or some sort of malware causing browser freezes. Next time your "internet" freezes. Open a command prompt (Start, run type "cmd" then hit enter). When the black box opens, type ping www.google.com and see if you get a response. If you do, then your browser is probably hijacked by malware.

Thirties
07-03-2009, 06:52
Thanks, 'Toon, I will try that. I made some noise and got the attention of my dsl vendor (phone company). They sent a repair man here and he will be checking their central office. It seems there is nothing wrong at my end; and the heat is not alarming to him.

We'll see . . .