Macintosh virus question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh virus question

Annoyedgrunt
06-28-2009, 18:48
We're thinking of retiring our old dinosaur of a computer. I'm not even sure what kind it is, all I know is that it is an IBM clone, and we've had it since 1997. My dad keeps telling me to get a Macintosh mini-me (or is it mini-mac?) he has one, and swears by it. I asked him what kind of virus-protection software you would need for a mac, and he basically said that macs don't get viruses. Any truth to this?

FLglocker
06-28-2009, 18:52
Im a PC guy myself, but have dabbled in the Mac catalog so that may change. But to answer your question, thats what I understand from talking with Mac users, no viruses.

G36's Rule
06-28-2009, 18:53
I have a Macbook Pro and a mini. I do not run virus protection on either. I recently installed Vista on the MBP and got infected within 20 minutes with Antivirus System Pro trojan.

So I removed that partition and reinstalled Vista and then immediately installed AVG and ran updates.

So far so good.

IndyGunFreak
We're thinking of retiring our old dinosaur of a computer. I'm not even sure what kind it is, all I know is that it is an IBM clone, and we've had it since 1997. My dad keeps telling me to get a Macintosh mini-me (or is it mini-mac?) he has one, and swears by it. I asked him what kind of virus-protection software you would need for a mac, and he basically said that macs don't get viruses. Any truth to this?

Typically, Mac's do not have a virus problem.. the OS is unix based, and by its nature, quite secure. Now viruses CAN happen, but they are not very common.

If you're gonna get a new PC, a Mac would be a good idea, if you're willing to learn a New OS.

IGF

secutorum

Yes, that's pretty much true. Several viruses that affect Macs have been created, but as tests in IT security labs. Those viruses were able to affect the Macs, but only after a user gave them permission. There's no known Mac virus 'in the wild'. I've used Macs for ~10 years without a problem and use both a PC and a Mac daily. Guess which ahs more problems?

The Mac your Dad is talking about is a Mac Mini. Relatively cheap, but you have to buy a monitor keyboard and a mouse. If you're planning on going the Mac route, might want to look at the low-end iMac.

Annoyedgrunt
06-28-2009, 18:57
What I'm worried about is hackers realizing that there are no known viruses for Macs, and getting to work creating them.

fwm
06-28-2009, 18:59
While it is possible to get one on any machine, the chances are much slimmer on a MAC. I don't know of anybody that ever has gotten one. Most of the virisus come through Microsoft browsers and programs, with some open ports also being attacked. There are far fewer virisus written for Macs and I don't know of any that have reached 'critical mass' to. All of the people in my office run Macs at home and most bring them to work and hook into out wireless port. None have ever gotten a virus on their Mac, although the CEO has infected our intranet system twice with his personal Windows PC.

GAFinch
06-28-2009, 19:00
What I'm worried about is hackers realizing that there are no known viruses for Macs, and getting to work creating them.

People have been worried about that for years. Hasn't happened yet though. BTW, I've had a couple friends switch over from Windows and found it easy to learn.

Glock20 10mm
06-28-2009, 19:02
Yes there is a lot of truth to it. My ol' lady runs a Mac mini and has for 3 years now. She hasn't had a single problem with it. I would NEVER recommend Windows to anyone every again. It's either Linux or Macintosh.

og556
06-28-2009, 19:04
I do not believe you will have any thing to worry about with a Mac in terms of viruses and such. In my two years we have never had one come in to our shop with a serious issue due to a virus, trojan, or spyware issues. We sometimes run software on customers Macs when they come in to test for such things if the machines are having software issues.

I can honestly say I have never seen an issue due to any of that crap on a Mac but these machines are not "virus proof". As long as you are not doing crap constantly with torrents or other P2P networks you should be ok. Even then I am stunned to see some of the filth people put on their computer and still not contract any thing on Macs.

Mac Minis are a great value if you already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and other peripherals you already like. If you would like a fresh start take a look at the 20" iMac as well because that will get you a new keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, camera, etc... all in one nice package.

Annoyedgrunt
06-28-2009, 19:05
Well, for paranoids like me, are there anti-virus programs available, just in case, for Macs? To modify a phrase that we all know, "It is better to have an anti-virus program and not need it, than to need one and not have it." :wavey:

Tailhunter
06-28-2009, 19:06
If you ever go MAC, you will never go back.

aircarver
06-28-2009, 19:14
I've operated and administered Macs for 30 years, and only saw two Mac viruses in that time....

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2009, 19:17
Well, for paranoids like me, are there anti-virus programs available, just in case, for Macs? To modify a phrase that we all know, "It is better to have an anti-virus program and not need it, than to need one and not have it." :wavey:

I believe there are some Mac AV programs..

IGF

Boilers
06-28-2009, 19:23

I have 9 or so Macs at the moment. Not one iota of virus protection is needed since I have had many, many Macs for over 20 years.

Anyone here that has more experience you might want to listen to. Otherwise don't.

sgtlmj
06-28-2009, 19:28

Here you go. It's free and has a small memory footprint.

http://www.iantivirus.com/

og556
06-28-2009, 19:34
If you have to have some kind of internet security suite on your Mac there are a few out there including Symantec Norton.

I have run Norton Internet Security on mine for a year when I bought my first mac before I worked at my current job and it ended up being a waste of money and system resources.

bluenoise
06-28-2009, 19:49
I've been using macs for many years and the only time I've had any virus-related problems was when the anti-virus software I installed caused problems. I don't run any AV now, except on my XP machine.

costanza187
06-29-2009, 13:05
Mac OS is like being on "the pill" for computers.

noway
06-29-2009, 16:25
I believe there are some Mac AV programs..

IGF

clam/AV is one free program.

i've been on Mac since my Quadra days and Mac OSX8 ;) Never seen a virus, never heard of a virus, and typical macs don't come with a virus checker. I run ClamAV but only for scanning files coming and going to guess what OS......... Windows ;)

I've operated and administered Macs for 30 years, and only saw two Mac viruses in that time...

That's quite interesting , since Macs haven't been around for 30years. I think the 1st mac hit the market in the mid 80s, and that was handfull.

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2009, 16:49
clam/AV is one free program.

Clam AV is pretty popular for Linux, I wasn't aware it had a Mac version, but it makes sense that it does... I don't use AV at all under Linux, seems many Mac users feel the same way.

IGF

spartan985
06-29-2009, 18:37
That's quite interesting , since Macs haven't been around for 30years. I think the 1st mac hit the market in the mid 80s, and that was handfull.[/QUOTE]

The apple 1 (i think thats what it was called) debuted in 1976 or 77.

thats 32 or 33 years dude.

EDIT: also a mac user and lover, macbook and iphone.