Dual boot - Windows side has virus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot - Windows side has virus

CheesyD
06-29-2009, 10:15
I have an Acer Travelmate 8100 laptop that is currently set up to dual boot between Windows XP Sp3 and Ubuntu Jaunty. I primarily use the Ubuntu side but keep the Windows side for my Zune and for my camera interface.

I recently (somehow) got a trojan on the Windows side that I can't get rid of. McAfee won't clean it, and the trojan is somehow preventing me from even running Spybot or Malware or AVG anti-virus. McAfee identifies the trojan but when I tell it to clean the file, I get the blue screen of death.

So, I want to reformat the Windows side without affecting my Ubuntu side. My question to all of you experts out there is... how do I go about doing that without hurting Ubuntu? I get around pretty well in Windows but am pretty inexperienced with Linux. So please, be specific and gentle. Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2009, 11:22
This will either be very easy, or very difficult.. ;) Before doing anything I suggest below, I would strongly suggest a current backup of important files, etc, on BOTH of your OS's. Also, just in case something goes wrong, I'd recommend having a current Ubuntu Live CD. Also, I'm presuming you installed Ubuntu like a normal person, and not w/ Wubi.. :) If you used Wubi, you'll have no choice but to hose your Linux stuff and start over.

First, how do you plan to reinstall Windows... via a CD, or a restore partition. If its a restore partition, its going to take the whole drive and kill the partition setup(to my knowledge)... bye bye linux.

If its a CD... Boot the Windows CD, and get to the part where it asks to install on the drive, and see if you can set it to only install to what is currently your Windows partition. I'm not sure if it can do this or not, or if it takes the whole drive by default. If it can simply overwrite what is currently XP partition, w/o touching the Ubuntu partition, it should be easy. Reinstall Windows XP, when you reboot, your PC will boot straight to XP. Get your drivers reinstalled, etc..

Reboot the Ubuntu Live CD... and follow these instructions to reinstall the Grub Boot loader...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows?action=show&redirect=RestoreGrub

Note: I've always had very good luck w/ the part that says to "Restore Grub"... The first apart, while not hard, will require you to have a /boot partition. If you don't have one, I would follow the "Restore Grub" section, and I always used (hd0,0) despite it writing over my Windows MBR, because I don't care. Then Once I restart, Grub is back, and everything works fine.

If I've not been clear, shoot me a PM or you can IM me on AIM, Yahoo, or MSN. I should be around a while today.

IGF

CheesyD
06-29-2009, 19:09
Thanks for the reply!

I decided to do a fresh install of Ubuntu and got rid of Windows altogether. I can run my Zune off of the wife's PC.

Good riddance to Windows!

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2009, 19:27
Thanks for the reply!

I decided to do a fresh install of Ubuntu and got rid of Windows altogether. I can run my Zune off of the wife's PC.

Good riddance to Windows!

LOL.. well, that works to I guess.

My Zune is about the only reason I still have a small XP partition. I don't use it for anything but syncing my Zune. All my music, videos, etc.. is on a "shared" partition... so the Zune software syncs to it just fine...

Glad you got it worked out.

IGF

Linux3
06-29-2009, 21:10
I don't have a Zune but I do need Windows XP, sometimes, on my laptop. It's a work thing.

VMWare server is free.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server
And really, once you have installed XP or whatever all you need is the Player.
Install VMWare Server and VMWare Tools.
Install XP and any extras like Zune stuff.
Make a tar file from your XP installation. With VMWare windows is really just a big direcotry.
Use the Virtual XP as a client OS inside Linux.
Every so often when you think you may have gotten the XP install infected just delete the XP directory and just untar the tar file you previously created. Tada, fresh XP install.
Reapply as needed.

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2009, 22:15
I don't have a Zune but I do need Windows XP, sometimes, on my laptop. It's a work thing.

VMWare server is free.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server
And really, once you have installed XP or whatever all you need is the Player.
Install VMWare Server and VMWare Tools.
Install XP and any extras like Zune stuff.
Make a tar file from your XP installation. With VMWare windows is really just a big direcotry.
Use the Virtual XP as a client OS inside Linux.
Every so often when you think you may have gotten the XP install infected just delete the XP directory and just untar the tar file you previously created. Tada, fresh XP install.
Reapply as needed.

Only problem I have w/ Vmware (at least for me), it is slow as the day is long. it just has never ever ran well for me.... Maybe I'm not configuring it right.. I really don't know, and leave open the possibility that it's just me. My PC I've tried it on, was running Ubuntu 32bit, 2gigs of ram, 500gig hard drive, 2.3ghz processor.. so it should've had the muscle to run it fine.

Anyways, I had so many issues with it, I just installed XP on a 20gig partition.. Figured I'd leave a bit of room in case I needed something else there eventually. Anyways, I don't even run updates or have AV on it..lol. It literally gets no use at all. Generally, I start XP, hook up Zune, Zune Software Starts, Zune Syncs, Add any new Album art, Syncs again, and I go back to Linux. I edit all my Tags, get all my music, etc.. under Linux.

Its not the best solution by any stretch, but I only update my Zune probably 2-3x a month, so it works.

IGF

Linux3
07-01-2009, 21:29
Only problem I have w/ Vmware (at least for me), it is slow as the day is long. it just has never ever ran well for me.... Maybe I'm not configuring it right.. I really don't know, and leave open the possibility that it's just me. My PC I've tried it on, was running Ubuntu 32bit, 2gigs of ram, 500gig hard drive, 2.3ghz processor.. so it should've had the muscle to run it fine.
IGF
VMWare only starts to work well with a Core2Dual system.
Dell D630 2.2 GHz Core2Dual, 4 gigs ram .....
Assign 1 core to the VM and 1 gig ram and it works pretty well.

IndyGunFreak
07-01-2009, 22:13
VMWare only starts to work well with a Core2Dual system.
Dell D630 2.2 GHz Core2Dual, 4 gigs ram .....
Assign 1 core to the VM and 1 gig ram and it works pretty well.

Never knew that.. One time I was in a VMware discussion with some folks, and they were all saying they had it on machines running around 1.8ghz. Didn't seem possible to me, and I still think they might have been fibbing a bit.. ;)

Who knows, my simple Dual boot works fine, so I'll just leave it be.

IGF

KharToon
07-02-2009, 22:19

Anyways, I had so many issues with it, I just installed XP on a 20gig partition.. Figured I'd leave a bit of room in case I needed something else there eventually. Anyways, I don't even run updates or have AV on it..lol. It literally gets no use at all. Generally, I start XP, hook up Zune, Zune Software Starts, Zune Syncs, Add any new Album art, Syncs again, and I go back to Linux. I edit all my Tags, get all my music, etc.. under Linux.

Its not the best solution by any stretch, but I only update my Zune probably 2-3x a month, so it works.

IGF

ESXi is free and it does not run on top of an OS like VMWare Server. It is a HyperV that runs directly on top of the hardware and is much faster than VMWare Server. It VMWare's latest and greatest freebie and I am running a backup domain controller, WSUS and Symantec Endpoint Manager on three VM's at zero cost and have had no problems with it.