School me on 3g [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School me on 3g

Mr V
06-29-2009, 13:15
Backround; I live in small town, where I get internet from my phone line. DSL 1.5m/256k.
Would a 3G system be faster? Any less reliable? Pros vs cons.
Wife can work from home and the 1.5m/256k meets her needs but sort of marginial.
The other idea we are looking at a wireless modem (so we are not tethered to the land line) so we can take the laptop outside. Would our speed be the same. (I assume it would be, but have learned never to assume).
I realize its 2 questions that are not related..thanks for the help.
(Old person with gray hair)LOL

Lithium
06-29-2009, 13:34
You need to find out if there is 3G coverage in your area first.

I use it at home as my primary connection because I didn't feel the 2k cable companies wanted to charge me to run an "extension" was worth it.

However, there are areas in my house where coverage drops to EDGE speeds.

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2009, 13:45
You need to find out if there is 3G coverage in your area first.

I use it at home as my primary connection because I didn't feel the 2k cable companies wanted to charge me to run an "extension" was worth it.

However, there are areas in my house where coverage drops to EDGE speeds.

Are there any 3G services that have "unlimited" bandwidth, or are the all limited to either 500mb or 5gigs?

IGF

kc8ykd
06-29-2009, 14:51
Are there any 3G services that have "unlimited" bandwidth, or are the all limited to either 500mb or 5gigs?

IGF

Last I heard all the 'unlimited' plans had caps in the 1-5gig range, dependent on the carrier.

First question: Sprint's wimax would be faster than your dsl, every other service would be pretty similar to your current dsl. Sprint's '4g' service is only being rolled out in very limited markets currently, I would doubt there would be coverage for your currently.

Second question:
You can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010
or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124012

and be able to use your laptops where ever you want.

The first one would plug straight into your dsl modem (assuming you have no router currently). The second one just plugs into your existing setup in place (assuming your currently do have a router).

The speed would be exactly the same, assuming the signal quality is good, you'd want to try and centrally locate the wireless device for good coverage, or get some different antennas if you discover poor coverage (they just plug-in and are fairly cheap if needed).

The wireless operates at ~27mb up and ~27mb down (assuming wireless 'G' is used and ideal signal quality) and your dsl is 1.5mb down and .4 up. So, the wireless is much faster than the dsl and your chances of experiencing any slow-downs compared to being plugged in via a wire are minimal*.

*theoretically, it's really dependent on the wireless signal quality

Mr V
06-29-2009, 15:13
Thanks for the help!!!!
I knew I could count on GT'ers for good answers!!!
thanks again

noway
06-29-2009, 16:29
Last I heard all the 'unlimited' plans had caps in the 1-5gig range, dependent on the carrier.

Then if it's capped then it's not unlimited ;)

Fwiw 5gig is alot of data. Att in my area, offers a 3g data plan with 5gig limits at $40.00 plus they throw in a USB 3g celluar modem. I've also used the sprint and verizon with great success and one of the many aircard that where pcmcia based.

At my work, we use the verizon tether option with our blackberrys and a USB port ( mac or pc )

kc8ykd
06-29-2009, 18:27

Fwiw 5gig is alot of data. Att in my area, offers a 3g data plan with 5gig limits at $40.00 plus they throw in a USB 3g celluar modem. I've also used the sprint and verizon with great success and one of the many aircard that where pcmcia based.

At my work, we use the verizon tether option with our blackberrys and a USB port ( mac or pc )

Ya, that was the big rub a year or two ago when the carriers started implementing caps.

When they started, they kept the 'unlimited' name on the plan and wouldn't pre-disclose the actual cap until you exceeded it and they either started charging a ridiculous amount for the overage, or straight canceling the contract for service.

It was a lot like being on "double-secret" probation

ronterry
07-01-2009, 01:28

That sucks if that's a month? Heck one DVD ISO would kill your limit. I would rather have a slower 1.5Mb DSL with unlimited dl, than 100Mb with a cap!
I celerbrated the day about three years ago, when DSL hit are area, and I ripped that DirecPC (or what ever they call it now) crap off my roof. Dang 350MB a day cap sucked!!!