Seatbelt law becomes primary enforcement at midnight! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt law becomes primary enforcement at midnight!

Mr. Blandings
06-29-2009, 21:35
Click-it or ticket as they say because not wearing a seatbelt becomes a primary enforcement offense at midnight - meaning law enforcement can pull you over for not wearing one.

This is a change from where the law has been in Florida. Previously the seatbelt law was only secondary enforcement - meaning you had to be stopped for some other reason before a LEO could ticket you on a seat belt violation.

Here's another valuable tip that many folks don't know/have forgotten - you MUST come to a full and complete stop before you can make a right hand turn on red at an intersection. Jurisdictions with red-light cameras are raking in the bucks on this simple violation.

Stay safe.

Mr. Blandings
06-29-2009, 21:36
Feel free to discuss the absurdity of a state where seatbelt use is mandatory but wearing a motor cycle helmet is optional. :dunno:

gforester
06-30-2009, 14:05
The reasoning is simple, to qualify for Federal highway funds the state must have a law requiring seatbelt use. This is worth many millions of dollars to the state DOT.

black_sedan
06-30-2009, 14:33
Just as long as they start improving the roads in my neck of the woods, im all for it. We dont have any toll roads here in North Florida and hopefully it stays that way.

one"Lucky"shot
06-30-2009, 16:46
Awe come on, "toll roads, will only be toll untill they are paid off" (we just wish they had told us how many times it had to be paid off!!):steamed:

And to add to the great advice of stopping at a light or stop sign..... your tire must come to a full rest BEFORE the stop bar (the big white stripe going across the road), not on it, not past it, but before you get to it..... OR pay the fine, either way :supergrin::supergrin:

Mr. Blandings
06-30-2009, 21:44
BayNews9 in Tampa is reporting (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/6/30/490708.html?title=Seat+belt+law+now+in+effect;+dozens+already+cited) that the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office issued 203 seatbelt citations Tuesday, and that number was in well before midnight!

HCSO's website/press release (http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Press_Releases/2009/06/09179.htm) advises the fine is $101.

No wonder they're calling their new enforcment operation, "Belts or El$e".

mac59
07-01-2009, 17:06
It's funny - i drive much more careful since i got my cwp and carry. Guess i don't want to invite a traffic stop.

neonhomer
07-03-2009, 17:47
Just another reason for a LEO to stop someone.... and another reason for my wife to start screaming at me "Click it or ticket..."

I dread the day when I get my CWP, start carrying my gun, and then get stopped...

FlaChef
07-04-2009, 08:46
I dread the day when I get my CWP, start carrying my gun, and then get stopped...

then don't if it's that much anxiety.
I've been stopped a few times and no big deal, once I had to get out of the car and the officer removed it and took it to his car while he ran my stuff (and another deputy showed up and talked guns with me while the 1st was doing the paperwork) and i got off with a warning.

neonhomer
07-04-2009, 11:38
The first time I get stopped I'll prolly be nervous... but afterwards it wont be a big deal.

metro273
07-06-2009, 09:53
Feel free to discuss the absurdity of a state where seatbelt use is mandatory but wearing a motor cycle helmet is optional. :dunno:That's right here in IL!

njl
07-06-2009, 19:05
There's no shortage of stupid people. On the drive home tonight, I thought about the new seatbelt law. At the next light, I looked to my left and saw two guys in a pickup...no seatbelts in use. To my right, another guy in a pickup...no seatbelt. Next car that caught my eye was a compact to my left...small child in the back with her head up against the front of a partially open window...looking like a dog might put its face into the wind. I'm pretty sure at her age/size, a car seat or booster was required...and she certainly wasn't wearing a seat belt. Surprisingly, the adults up front were.