Hopefully easy question - SDHC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully easy question - SDHC

pascal
06-30-2009, 06:03
Hello,
Recently purchased a 4Gb SDHC card for a replacement camera that Canon sent me to replace a factory issue failure on a 5 year old camera. My computer will not read the memory card. Reads regular SD cards. I need an external adapter, correct? Thanks for the info.
pascal

kc8ykd
06-30-2009, 06:47
Yes, although, some hardware manufacturers offer updates for legacy hardware to support SDHC cards.

If your computer manufacturer does not offer an update you can get this:
http://www.meritline.com/usb-card-reader-all-in-1-765---p-34532.aspx

or a similar adapter to read the card.

Also, your camera may need a firmware upgrade to read the SDHC card. You can check this by simply putting the new card into the camera and seeing if it's recognized. If it's not, it requires an update. If it does, it's good to go.

pascal
06-30-2009, 07:51
Thank you kind Sir. Good price.
pascal

kc8ykd
06-30-2009, 07:56
Thank you kind Sir. Good price.
pascal

No problem.

If you hunt around on their site you'll find various other adapters if that one isn't the color/form factor you want.

In the search box just type 'SDHC' and it will return all the compatible adapters (they carry a bunch and I just picked one from the list for the link).

pascal
06-30-2009, 08:00
Great and thanks again.
pascal

Sgt. Schultz
06-30-2009, 08:43
For a couple of dollars more you can get a multi-card reader like this ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134753

... it may come in handy down the road.

MavsX
07-02-2009, 06:38
yeah i picked up a card reader at wal-mart last December for like 18 bucks. it reads like 33 cards in 1. although i only use it for my 8 gig sdhc card...

good luck man.

pascal
07-07-2009, 13:15
Thanks to all for your advice and responses. My computer has everything built in but a SDHC. Will get one soon.
pascal

solomansousana
07-07-2009, 13:43
You need to buy an adapter reader. You simply put the SDHC card in the HC ready reader then plug into your computer usb and off you go. I use a Nikon digital SLR but for small family functions I have a Canon Digital cam 12mp 18x zoom that uses 8gig SDHC cards. The reader came free with the A-data 150x speed 8gig card. But most of my SDHC cards are Sandisk extreme III 8 and 16 gig.

pascal
07-08-2009, 06:09
Bought an ativa sd/sdhc to USB port adaptor for 5.99. When installed XP says its not on the compatability list, but I installed anyway. Seems to work fine with a PNY 8Gb SDHC. At last.
pascal

WellArmedSheep
07-11-2009, 19:27
Hello,
Recently purchased a 4Gb SDHC card for a replacement camera that Canon sent me to replace a factory issue failure on a 5 year old camera. My computer will not read the memory card. Reads regular SD cards. I need an external adapter, correct? Thanks for the info.
pascal

What model is the card reader? You may be able to just upgrade the firmware for the reader to use SDHC cards. My TEAC USB card reader wouldn't read SDHC cards until I downloaded and installed the newest version of the firmware.

pascal
07-11-2009, 20:05
Hello WellArmedSheep,
I found a $5.00 adapter that plugs into the USB port, so I'm good to go. the multi card reader was built into the Acer computer, so I don't know what model it is or if I can upgrade it. Now my problem is that I copied all the pictures onto the computer. Need to figure out how to get them back on the card in the correct format, so I can use the cables to connect the camera to the tv and show the pictures on it. Technology isn't it great!
rhtwist

Sgt. Schultz
07-11-2009, 21:07
Now my problem is that I copied all the pictures onto the computer. Need to figure out how to get them back on the card in the correct format, so I can use the cables to connect the camera to the tv and show the pictures on it. Just copying the pictures to the computer would not have changed the format of the files ... just copy them back to the original folder on the card.

pascal
07-12-2009, 05:29
tHANKs Sgt. Schultz,
Worked like I knew what I was doing, only because you told me what to do, and then I did know what I was doing, at least in it's infancy stages. Thanks Kind Sir.
pascal