Home Defense Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Shotgun

Keninflorida
07-05-2009, 12:15
Guys, I know this isn't glock related (I have a G19 carry pistol I love) but anyone have a recommendation on a pump action shotgun for home defense..

Have heard the Rem 870 or Mossberg 590A1 are good choices.. I like the tatical style with ghost ring sight. etc.

Thanks

rich52us
07-05-2009, 12:17
Guys, I know this isn't glock related (I have a G19 carry pistol I love) but anyone have a recommendation on a pump action shotgun for home defense..

Have heard the Rem 870 or Mossberg 590A1 are good choices.. I like the tatical style with ghost ring sight. etc.

Thanks

Your 2 choices are among the best. Mossy 500 is fine too.

Mr. Blandings
07-05-2009, 15:15
Ken,

The Mossberg 590A1 is a fine choice for a HD shotty.

If you select a Remington 870, avoid the Express models. The parts are not of as high a quality as a top of the line Wingmaster, Magnum or Police Model.

Of course, the truth is that just about any shotgun will serve you fine if you're only going to load it up and stick it in the closet - maybe fire 50 rounds or so a year, BUT... if you have any plans of getting into training (even a single class can be 250+ rounds) or competition then you will want a gun that is going to run reliably and without breakdowns. It's a little extra money up front, but it will save you in the long run.

I recommend Randy Cain's Shotgun I (http://www.guntactics.com/shotgun.htm) training class which is conveniently available to most Florida residents at the Southern Exposure Training Facility. (http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/)

rvrctyrngr
07-05-2009, 17:00
What those guys said!

I have one of each...the 590A1 is my favorite.

A HUGE +1 to Mr. B's recommendation for Randy's class.

Ahmid
07-05-2009, 21:04
I like the Ithaca Defender. Court had a really nice Browning at his table at the Gun Show today. Both of these shotguns have good write-ups and
I have had good personal experiences with both.

Mr. Blandings
07-06-2009, 01:43
The problem with either an Ithaca or a Browning is that they are virtual orphans in terms of accessories.

FlaChef
07-06-2009, 03:18
870 20ga with a knoxx stock.
75% of the lead downrange with 50% of the kick of a 12 ga and anyone can use it.
More than enough oomph for down the hall applications and the adjustable stock means any member of the family can grab it.

Tonyyy
07-20-2009, 07:49
I go with the Mossberg 930 SPX, its semi auto and holds 7 plus 1 3 inch and 8 plus 1 2 3/4, well worht the cost for home defence...

40 Cal Joe
07-20-2009, 11:32
870 20ga with a knoxx stock.
75% of the lead downrange with 50% of the kick of a 12 ga and anyone can use it.
More than enough oomph for down the hall applications and the adjustable stock means any member of the family can grab it.

I do agree with the 12 guage suggestions, I myself have a Mossy 500. However, the wife won't touch it and thinking of getting her a 20 guage for the exact reasons FlaChief mentioned in his post.

LMBFlorida
08-01-2009, 17:12
I have a Benelli Nova Tactical with the ghost ring site that I am happy with. There are more expensive Benellis, but this one runs about $350

Bosenberg
08-02-2009, 18:10
Another vote for the Rem 870 tactical

Evela
08-28-2009, 10:21
+1 on the 870 or the 590 series, but there's another option designed specifically for HD and that anyone in the household can use: the Mossberg 410 HS (home security). About $380 as I recall. Love mine.

Has an 18 inch barrel, built in "spreader/diffuser", font pistol grip, pump action and has PLENTY of power. Way more than most handguns. It carries 10 rounds, is very ight, fast and accurate and won't intimidate anyone who has to use it. With #4 buck it will make four or five 25 caliber holes (with #2 buck, 33 caliber) at high velocity. I like the #4 buck for reasons of limited excessive penetration in the confines of a home. You can quickly deliver 10 very powerful rounds (50 holes) in short order.

Regardless of what you choose, having a BUG, say a 9 mm Glock is not a bad idea.

FLAHOTROD
08-29-2009, 23:22
A couple of questions about shotguns for home protection.

1) Have you thought about where the pellets that do not hit the intruder will go? What is beyond and around your target? Is it another interior room which may be occupied? Most interior walls will not stop bullets nor shotgun pellets. Next time you are at the range, set up a small mock-up with a couple of pieces of drywall screwed to some 2 x 4s to simulate an interior wall and see if they keep the pellets from overpenetrating.

2) Have you taken your shotgun to an indoor range in the dark? Do you know what it will be like to shoot your shotgun in a situation that is similar to that of being waken up from a dead sleep in a dark and fairly small room? Muzzle flash & blast would probably be a beast on your eyes and ears in a small, dark room (bedroom).

Keep these things in mind when selecting weapons and ammo for home protection.

FlaChef
08-30-2009, 18:02
all the more reasons I don't like the old "just get a 12 ga and 00 buck".

for a good bunch of (admittedly anecdotal and not scientific) tests of what penetrates what I like www.theboxotruth.com

Evela
09-02-2009, 17:27
+1 on the penetration and flash issues. The Mossberg 410 HS (a 410) was designed with all that in mind. A 12 gauge is deafening, will blind you and anyone nearby, and will devastate anything it hits - which, with 000 or 00 will include your family in the next room.

The 410 HS has a nice diffuser/spreader with that in mind, and with #4 buck will absolutely stop the BG, while minimizing damage to innocents. With a 10 shell capacity, pump action, light, short - very fast and maneuvreable. Just as effective as any shotgun at short range, but easy and less intimidating for anyone in the family to use.

Mossberg may send my commission check to....

lol

40 Cal Joe
09-03-2009, 14:33
Night sights are good for a pistol, good enough for a shotgun also.

FLAHOTROD
09-05-2009, 15:58
+1 on the penetration and flash issues. The Mossberg 410 HS (a 410) was designed with all that in mind. A 12 gauge is deafening, will blind you and anyone nearby, and will devastate anything it hits - which, with 000 or 00 will include your family in the next room.

The 410 HS has a nice diffuser/spreader with that in mind, and with #4 buck will absolutely stop the BG, while minimizing damage to innocents. With a 10 shell capacity, pump action, light, short - very fast and maneuvreable. Just as effective as any shotgun at short range, but easy and less intimidating for anyone in the family to use.

Mossberg may send my commission check to....

lol

I'm in agreement. If I were to select a shotgun for home defense, I would go with a .410. There are even some revolvers out there now chambered for the .410 & .45 Colt (Taurus' Judge). Makes for a long cylinder, but a short, handheld "shotgun".