hunting/fishing cost big dollars [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hunting/fishing cost big dollars

noway
10-14-2002, 08:03
I was reading a article in one of the hunting magazines and it got me thinking about how much $$$ we spend every year on hunting/fishing. I can say looking back over the last 10-12 months that I have spent well over 3K in hunting& fishing supplies, ammo, gun case,cleaning supplies,reels,fishing line, gas and toll fees,licenses and special permits, rods, mosquito repellant, bait etc......etc....

Please tell me I'm not alone?

Tvov
10-14-2002, 08:17
It's a hobby, and all hobbies cost money. It also depends on what you want to do. With my existing equipment, it costs me essentially nothing to go fishing at a local pond or river.

I could also line up a guided fishing trip to British Columbia or something like that, and have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it!

USMCsilver
10-14-2002, 12:16
After my endevour on opening day of shrimping season, it came out that the cost of my catch was about $115.00/lb. of shrimp.

Now that is a costly hobby with an expensive meal to show!

mpol777
10-14-2002, 12:33
hunting and fishing generates about $61 billion a year. millions go towards conservation and habitat.

that amount includes all of the gear purchased, all of the tags, fees and licenses, and all of the guided hunts and charter boats.

PlasticGuy
10-14-2002, 17:25
Yeah, it can expensive if you add it all up. Then again, it's cheap if you already have the equipment. For instance, my deer this year cost me around $50.00 -- and that includes the ammo to sight in the gun and the gas to drive there. That's not bad. If I get an elk tag and actually shoot one this year (not likely), it will be even cheaper than the deer. My pheasants and quail are running around $10 per bird right now, which is a bit steep. They get a little cheaper every time I go though. I'm hoping that by the end of the season it will be no more than $5.00 per bird, but I'm having fun regardless.

And by the time I bag a coyote, all it will cost me is the gas to drive there and the ammo I fire. Selling the pelts should actually make me some money.

leeinmemphis
10-14-2002, 18:35
noway don't feel bad. I have spent twice that this year!

and I haven't lost a minutes sleep :D

-lee-

The Pontificator
10-14-2002, 21:42
After a 30 year hiatus I got back into fishing this past spring in a BIG way. Rods, reels, tackle, the works. Spent at least several hundred dollars.

And the most fun I've had is catching bluegills with a $8 "bream buster" pole and $1.50 worth of crickets.

Go figure. ;Q

TJC
10-14-2002, 21:43
I've got more than 1/2 that just in my new puppy this year. Of course that is not a yearly expense. ;)

TriggerTripper
10-15-2002, 00:29
I spent most of my money on hunting/fishing....the rest I just wasted!

About this time of year the local resevoirs are at thier lowest points while I'm out I like to check the trees and brush piles that were once covered in water for free tackel. So far I have found several nice rapalas and few spoons. Of coarse I have to replace most of the hooks but the lures are still in nice shape. It doesn't hurt as bad to loose expensive gear that has already been lost once. Now if I could just find a lost boat!

FESTUS
10-15-2002, 02:24
The Economy appreciates what we spend....shooting GSSF 4 matches a year relates to $2000.00 in expenses....when I hunted it was around $3000.00, when I fished it was about $4000.00 a year....as I get older I seem to be more frugal(ha-ha) , now I do all three..;f

noway
10-15-2002, 06:44
{while I'm out I like to check the trees and brush piles that were once covered in water for free tackel.}

That's funny you would mention that. Just last weekend I was on the miami canal and a gentlemen and his son where in a bass boat trolling just inches from the shore line. I asked them if they caught anything ( no lines no poles ) and they showed me a bucket of collected floats,hook,lures,etc..... They indicated today was just a recon of the shoreline picking open lost items. They even had a fishing tackle box that was left out by accident. The box was weather beaten by the sun, but had a **** load of useful stuff.

I always cry when I loose a $3.00+ lure now I see some knows how to recover and restored.

shrpshtr
10-17-2002, 15:33
Originally posted by noway
I was reading a article in one of the hunting magazines and it got me thinking about how much $$$ we spend every year on hunting/fishing. I can say looking back over the last 10-12 months that I have spent well over 3K in hunting& fishing supplies, ammo, gun case,cleaning supplies,reels,fishing line, gas and toll fees,licenses and special permits, rods, mosquito repellant, bait etc......etc....

Please tell me I'm not alone?

your not alone by a long shot. i threw that away this year on club dues alone, knowing i wouldn't be able to hunt until late December, just to reserve a hunt club membership for next year. my wife thinks i am nuts...and she doesn't mind telling me that.;)

J.P.
10-18-2002, 18:49
I spend more money on fly fishing than I do on guns.
Expensive but rewarding.

ButchC
10-21-2002, 01:01
I spend much more on my cigar hobby than I do on my firearms related fun. I've spent over $3k for two custom humidors so far this year and I'm having plans drawn for another to put in my office. I hate to think how much I've spent on just cigars. Guns are my 'cheap' hobby right now. At least until my dad decides if he wants to go to Alaska for a couple weeks of bear hunting with me.