I still don't get all the 1911 HYPE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I still don't get all the 1911 HYPE

akapennypincher
07-06-2009, 11:26
I have own several over the years, all in .45ACP. Yes they were fun to shoot. But honestly none work right out of the BOX and they were like a Classic Car Restoration, COSTLY.

Glocker1984
07-06-2009, 11:41
Everyone's experience is different.

My $450 Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical: 100% reliable right out of the box
My $550 Almighty Glock 22: 2 FTF since I took it out of the box.

Yes, there are 1911's out there that have a few issues. You need new mags, the extractor needs tuned, or you need a different lb recoil spring. But if you fix what's broke, a 1911 will run forever.

For me, you can't find a better handgun that feels like a 1911. The grip angle, grip width, sight radius, trigger, and overall style is the best.

I carry a Glock 17 at work because that is what we're issued. But if I had a choice and I was allowed to carry anything I wanted; it would be a 1911 hands down. :wavey:

deMontacute
07-06-2009, 12:27
Mine have been great. No problems. Maybe you need to buy better 1911s...

07-06-2009, 12:29
I just like the way they shoot and feel. All but one (Kimber Ultra) of mine needed work to run 100%. They are all production guns from Kimber, Colt, and S&W. I have never purchased a new Springfield. I still think they are the best shooting guns ever made, and mine are all 100% now.

Gdirty5
07-06-2009, 12:36
I agree that the newer polymer pistols are more reliable, but the 1911's shoot better, and have character. I like my XD, but i can't shoot it as accurately as my 1911. I'd trust my life to either, but if I were in a war, i'd pick the XD, b/c it'll run through whatever i put it up to...

pleaforwar
07-06-2009, 12:46
I agree that the newer polymer pistols are more reliable, but the 1911's shoot better, and have character. I like my XD, but i can't shoot it as accurately as my 1911. I'd trust my life to either, but if I were in a war, i'd pick the XD, b/c it'll run through whatever i put it up to...

A XD over a 1911? I guess you would take a Mossberg 500 over a LWRC AR too huh? :ack:

To each their own I guess.

To the OP, Kimber is the only brand I know of that can have multiple hiccups out of the box, but a lot of handguns have issues like these, even newer polymer guns (Kahr comes to mind). If you don't get it by now, then you probably never will. To use your car analogy, some guys like corollas and some guys like a 69 Camaro SS. To each their own.

HAMMERHEAD
07-06-2009, 13:26
For me the handling, fine trigger and accuracy are worth a break in period. My .38 Super is at about 1K rounds now and is just a superb gun.

Like a late 60's muscle car, there just nothing else quite like it.

That said, my G-30 is my serious gun, like a modern SUV.

9mm +p+
07-06-2009, 13:34
I've owned several 1911's and have had zero probs, from a lowly SAMCO cheapy that will outshoot alot of high dollar guns to a SA TRP. Never an issue period, my current new toy a Taurus PT1911 is a fantastic shooter and has had zero probs either. To be fair I've had the plastic god and I never had issue with any of them either but they lack, good ergonomics and soul. It's like comparing a 1970 440 Charger to the new "Hemi" charger, sure the new one runs good but it'll never be the car the original is...

PlasticGuy
07-06-2009, 13:35
I'm fussy when it comes to guns. I know what I like. I know what I don't. With the 1911, I can pick the length, width, height, weight, caliber, capacity, trigger reach, sights, and a long list of other specific parts and features that fit my hand and my own personal needs. Then I can spend as much as I feel I need to in order to get the fit, finish, and accuracy I want. Combine that with a proven military and law enforcement track record of reliability and durability going back nearly 100 years, and you have a pistol with a lot of appeal to me. Most importantly, this custom fit of the pistol to my needs gives me a sidearm that shoots and carries better for me than anything else. If there's a downside, I haven't found it yet.

BOGE
07-06-2009, 13:42
The only thing a 1911 platform has head & shoulders above the others IMO is the ignition system. Nothing can beat it. You can come close, but you cannot duplicate it. Secondarily, it fits the hand well. If the 1911 had a trigger system like most other guns it would be a footnote by now IMO.

okie
07-06-2009, 13:44
The 1911 is the most accurate hand arm I have ever shot, and I have shot a butt load of different hand arms:thumbsup:

MD357
07-06-2009, 13:47
You guys need to realize that Pennypincher makes a good number of threads like this trolling for drama...... pull the hook out of your mouth boys.

Glock2336
07-06-2009, 13:48
I have own several over the years, all in .45ACP. Yes they were fun to shoot. But honestly none work right out of the BOX and they were like a Classic Car Restoration, COSTLY.

If you don't get it, than why bother trying or posting about it???
Different strokes...

gconan
07-06-2009, 15:02
A XD over a 1911? I guess you would take a Mossberg 500 over a LWRC AR too huh? :ack:

To each their own I guess.

He did not say that. Perhaps you need to re-read his post?

pleaforwar
07-06-2009, 15:35
He did not say that. Perhaps you need to re-read his post?
I need to re-read what he said? I think I'm not the one who needs a new set of reading glasses pal. I'll even highlight it for ya bud....

Zombie Steve
07-06-2009, 16:12
Maybe you need to buy better 1911s...

This.

I've had two that ran 100% / no break in required, and one that never ran right even after a thousand rounds (Kimber - sorry, okie!). Show me an auto loading pistol that is made by dozens of manufacturers and I'll show you one that puts out a turd. No reason to blame the platform.

I'm not sure you can call it "hype" after 98 years of service. Still improving too IMHO...

gconan
07-06-2009, 16:13
I need to re-read what he said? I think I'm not the one who needs a new set of reading glasses pal. I'll even highlight it for ya bud....

Oh! Got my new pair on order, they have not arrived yet.

Sorry, I didn't read his whole post!

bac1023
07-06-2009, 16:20

To each their own.

Thankfully, I don't share your view or your experience.

kidglock22
07-06-2009, 16:27

Sorry , all out of giv'a crap what you think .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY&feature=channel

bac1023
07-06-2009, 16:30
As someone mentioned, I believe he has started a thread or posted in this manner before. :dunno:

Everyone always has an agenda. :rofl:

No Frills McGee
Plastic SUCKS! LOLZ

bac1023
Plastic SUCKS! LOLZ

:rofl:

fredj338
07-06-2009, 16:56
While it's true that most 1911s need a 200rd breakin, after that, all of mine have run 100% w/ good mags & good ammo, just like any other semiauto. Very few pistols are as hootable as the 1911 design. The XDTAC is pretty darn close w/ a bit of trigger work.

akapennypincher
07-06-2009, 17:02
You guys need to realize that Pennypincher makes a good number of threads like this trolling for drama...... pull the hook out of your mouth boys.

Let see if we can not say something smart we say TROLL....:rofl:

akapennypincher
07-06-2009, 17:04
=uto loading pistol that is made by dozens of manufacturers and I'll show you one that puts out a turd.

AMEN!:supergrin:

Eyescream
07-06-2009, 17:35

Give us something smart to respond to. :yawn:

bac1023
07-06-2009, 17:55
This.

I've had two that ran 100% / no break in required, and one that never ran right even after a thousand rounds (Kimber - sorry, okie!). Show me an auto loading pistol that is made by dozens of manufacturers and I'll show you one that puts out a turd. No reason to blame the platform.

I'm not sure you can call it "hype" after 98 years of service. Still improving too IMHO...

Good posting Steve.

G36's Rule
07-06-2009, 18:06
Give us something smart to respond to. :yawn:

Not going to happen from him.

:whistling:

mikegun
07-06-2009, 18:30
i love my kimber, its never failed, but for my own protection i pack a glock and always will,just common sence to me imho

pleaforwar
07-06-2009, 19:19
Oh! Got my new pair on order, they have not arrived yet.

Sorry, I didn't read his whole post!

Nothing personal! :drunk:

RonS
07-06-2009, 19:22
I have owned three 1911s, not a huge sample, but two were by the most hated 1911 maker in the world, Auto Ordnance, back in the Numrich Arms days. One was box stock GI, one a worn out IPSC gun. Both were reliable and worked as designed. I had to put some work in the used gun, but when a gun has been shot that much and parts added by Joes Performance Gunshop and Stormdoor Company, you have to make allowances. My GI LW Champion has been totally reliable and the factory trigger was better than a Glock or XD, but still not good for a 1911, so I put an action kit in it.

Reignman
07-06-2009, 19:56
Yes, there are 1911's out there that have a few issues. You need new mags, the extractor needs tuned, or you need a different lb recoil spring. But if you fix what's broke, a 1911 will run forever.
How bout a new Kimber that has a break in period, needs new recoil springs according to the tech if out of the box it is malfunctioning to feed... Also, when asked what to do send it in right away the response is put 700 rounds or so down the barrel.. then let us know.

Um yea, Haven't put thousands of rounds through my glocks but never had a breakin... I just pull the trigger and they work.

I personally think it's a grip/ego combo which is why 1911's are so popular... hence why guitars made in the 80's are better for heavy metal or cars in the 60's etc etc... it's all in our heads...

I like both, my rock fires flawlessly however, I carry my Glocks when I believe the "**** hitting the fan meter" is high for that day..

Eyescream
07-06-2009, 20:10
How bout a new Kimber that has a break in period, needs new recoil springs according to the tech if out of the box it is malfunctioning to feed... Also, when asked what to do send it in right away the response is put 700 rounds or so down the barrel.. then let us know.

I dunno that much about 1911s, but the stories ya'll tell have pretty much turned me off from Kimber forever.

07-06-2009, 20:15
Glocks break too -- my G17's extractor went at a match. Later it decided to triple tap -- needed a new trigger bar, striker and connector. It was old and well used. They all break if you really shoot them as much as you talk about them.

texmex
07-06-2009, 20:49
Name one other semi-auto pistol that has been in continuous production for 98 years. Look at the contemporary handguns. Have you seen how ugly a Webley or a Steyr automatic is? I’ll confess that the Luger looks beautiful. Can you imagine what would happen if I showed up with a Luger for a duty weapon? They’d put me on the rubber gun squad.

My wife loved her Glocks. I’ve had a couple of Sigs that were utterly reliable. They just don’t have that mystique, that ambiance, that cocked and locked and I’m ready to unleash the fire and brimstone look.

zdragon23c
07-06-2009, 21:01
My Kimber custom II(bought NIB last year) only required less than 20 rounds of factory ammo to achieve total reliablilty. Currently one of my favorite 1911s.
My Kimber Ultra Carry II(bought NIB last year)...ran 100% with modified slide stop.
My S&W1911(bought NIB last X'mas) ran 100% out-of-the-box.
My Springfield GI(bought new last January) did required extensive tweaking/tuning/upgrade to run reliably...extractor, ejector and trigger job etc.
My Les Baer PII(bought NIB in May) ran 100% out-of-the-box. Only issue was with the substandard Les baer magazine which failed to lock the slide back on empty.
My project 1911 built on a HS frame runs 100% and shoots consistently at POA at 30'.
Kimber is still my favorite 1911 as far as aesthetics, fit/finish and unbeatable overall value....

tedwhite
07-06-2009, 21:30
Current 1911: Kimber Ultra Carry II. 100% reliable right out of the box.

Previous 1911's:

Taurus PT1911. 100% reliable right out of the box.
Springfield Armory milspec 1911. Same thing.

Although the Kimber only has a 3" barrel, it outshoots my Glock 17 at 25 yards.

For duty I am required to carry the Glock 17, but if my Kimber had a 4" barrel regs would allow me to carry it. And I would.

MD357
07-06-2009, 22:11

Sucks when someone calls you out eh? :supergrin: Don't worry..... you seem to have caught a few fish.

chuckman
07-07-2009, 07:27
Chevy or Ford? Vanilla or chocolate? I don't really get into the this-is-better-than-that debate, to each his own. The 'hype' is well-deserved; but then again, the hype surrounding Glock is pretty accurate, too.

BuckyP
07-07-2009, 08:25
I wonder how many people that claim the 1911 grip is perfect are talking about a stock 1911 or 1911A1? That grip feels awful to me. Too much material under the trigger guard, to low a hold in the back, and the grip tang / safety and hammer bite is awful. Now a properly done up 1911, or one that comes that way from the factory does indeed feel nice.

I like 1911s and have shot them frequently in competitions (since 1989). The grip safety / beavertail is a deal breaker for me. I have such a high grip, that on occasion I will rock the beavertail outward, engaging the grip safety. My USPSA guns have the grip safety pinned, and my IDPA gun is tuned so that it works, but disengages quicker. Still, I have to be more concious of my grip on that gun. This is not something I'd want to be concerned about in a panic situation. However, factory 1911s without grip safeties (like the old Detonics) often appeal to me.

akapennypincher
07-07-2009, 09:43
I dunno that much about 1911s, but the stories ya'll tell have pretty much turned me off from Kimber forever.

Kimber was a top builder of reliable 1911's in their early years of production, than they start pumping gun out, make a new model ever other month (lol), and the end use became their quality control.

zdragon23c
07-07-2009, 10:16
Kimber was a top builder of reliable 1911's in their early years of production, than they start pumping gun out, make a new model ever other month (lol), and the end use became their quality control.

Kimber actually makes exceptionally good mass production pistols. i assume some first time Kimbers owners did experience teething problems during the so called break in period. My customII took 20 initial rounds to break in....smooth sailing for the next thousand round and counting.

bac1023
07-07-2009, 10:27
Nothing but good luck with all of my Kimbers.

akapennypincher
07-07-2009, 10:33
Honestly if I ever buy another 1911 it will be a Colt out of the Custom Shop like the one I saw at the NRA thing in PHX, and got the bug (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q63-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx) for.

Or if I come into some real money an Ed Brown custom.

sigdeputy
07-07-2009, 12:54

I took my STI Ranger II and Colt Defender to the range yesterday. Both are new out of the box and never fired. Shot several hundred rounds out of both and NOT ONE SINGLE MALFUNCTION. None. They were both sweet shooters and the STI was shooting one ragged hole.

Sorry, but that tired argument just gets old. I've shot all varieties of handguns over the years - SIG, HK, Colt, S&W, Walther, Glock, Springfield XD, Beretta, etc. I've seen all brands have issues. None of my 1911's have been any different. There's a reason why people who walk in harm's way still carry it after nearly 100 years. It's not because it it doesn't work and needs constant repair. It's because it shoots better than any other platform in use. Period.

kidglock22
07-07-2009, 17:34

Might want to try ENGLISH or step away from the whiskey bottle while on line . :rofl:

fredj338
07-07-2009, 18:14
I wonder how many people that claim the 1911 grip is perfect are talking about a stock 1911 or 1911A1? That grip feels awful to me. Too much material under the trigger guard, to low a hold in the back, and the grip tang / safety and hammer bite is awful. Now a properly done up 1911, or one that comes that way from the factory does indeed feel nice.

I like 1911s and have shot them frequently in competitions (since 1989). The grip safety / beavertail is a deal breaker for me. I have such a high grip, that on occasion I will rock the beavertail outward, engaging the grip safety. My USPSA guns have the grip safety pinned, and my IDPA gun is tuned so that it works, but disengages quicker. Still, I have to be more concious of my grip on that gun. This is not something I'd want to be concerned about in a panic situation. However, factory 1911s without grip safeties (like the old Detonics) often appeal to me.
You must have very small hands to get that high a grip & disengage the grip safety. There are various GS that have raised pads to help & I think Wilson has a wedge shape. Most people I hand a 1911 to feel the grip is just about perfect. That is small hands, large hands, men, women, doesn't seem to matter. I think that & the trigger are why it is still a popular fighting handgun 100yrs after it's begining.

BuckyP
07-07-2009, 18:48
You must have very small hands to get that high a grip & disengage the grip safety. There are various GS that have raised pads to help & I think Wilson has a wedge shape. Most people I hand a 1911 to feel the grip is just about perfect. That is small hands, large hands, men, women, doesn't seem to matter. I think that & the trigger are why it is still a popular fighting handgun 100yrs after it's begining.

Hmm, then why would many of the top USPSA shooters disengage their grip safeties? Guess they all have small hands?

Again, when you hand them a 1911, is it a mil spec, or one with a beaver tail and some frame alterations?

RonS
07-07-2009, 19:03
I've 1911s with and without beavertails. I just bought a new SA GI to build into my "carry from now on" gun. I has an arched MS housing, thumb safety and GI grip safety and it will stay that way. I plan to replace the ILS system with a new arched MS housing, spring and hammer strut but it will be as close to the original as I can find. Lots of variation is what fits people's hands, mine must be a lot like John Brownings.

bac1023
07-07-2009, 19:11
I've 1911s with and without beavertails. I just bought a new SA GI to build into my "carry from now on" gun. I has an arched MS housing, thumb safety and GI grip safety and it will stay that way. I plan to replace the ILS system with a new arched MS housing, spring and hammer strut but it will be as close to the original as I can find. Lots of variation is what fits people's hands, mine must be a lot like John Brownings.

Actually, Browning's design used a flat MSH. When the A1 was developed in 1924, the arched housing was one of the enhancements.

n2extrm
07-07-2009, 19:22
Well my Kimber and SA 1911's have been great. If you think that Glock dosen't have there share of problems out of the box, go check the 3 or so "30 slim frame..." threads. FTRTB Mags that won't seat, or maybe some of the older "slide peening" issues? I have one of those 30SF POS and can't wait to dump it. The 1911 just has more soul a better feel to me. Like everything in life, its all personal fit that matters. I am pretty much a 1911 guy for what it's worth!

Glocker1984
07-07-2009, 19:37
SIGDeputy- You hit the nail on the head.

I wish we were allowed to carry 1911's. :crying:

SIGShooter
07-07-2009, 19:59

Wilson CQB: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 13,000 rounds and counting.

Springfield Armory Mil Spec: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 5700 rounds.

Springfield Armory Micro Compact: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 8000 rounds.

Llama: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 2300 rounds.

Anywhere from 1900 dollars down to 200 dollars. They all worked flawlessy.

To each their own. You just might not be a 1911 shooter. They may not like you.

bac1023
07-07-2009, 20:01
Wilson CQB: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 13,000 rounds and counting.

Springfield Armory Mil Spec: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 5700 rounds.

Springfield Armory Micro Compact: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 8000 rounds.

Llama: Right out of the box, never a single failure. 2300 rounds.

Anywhere from 1900 dollars down to 200 dollars. They all worked flawlessy.

To each their own. You just might not be a 1911 shooter. They may not like you.

:goodpost:

zdragon23c
07-07-2009, 23:17
Actually, Browning's design used a flat MSH. When the A1 was developed in 1924, the arched housing was one of the enhancements.

lowered ejection port was also one of JMB's original design.

RonS
07-08-2009, 19:40
I had forgotten that, the arched MSH was an ordnance board change wasn't it.

bac1023
07-08-2009, 19:48
I had forgotten that, the arched MSH was an ordnance board change wasn't it.

Here's JMB's gun on top, below is the A1.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/479px-M1911-M1911A1-1.jpg

AZ Husker
07-08-2009, 20:05
Funny...go to any top ranked match and see what most shoot...1911's.
Pennypincher is just trying to get some action started!

akapennypincher
07-08-2009, 21:04
i wish we were allowed to carry 1911's. :crying:

why?????

akapennypincher
07-08-2009, 21:05
Funny...go to any top ranked match and see what most shoot...1911's.

BULLEYE SHOOTERS love the 1911 Platform, I agree.:wow:

Glocker1984
07-08-2009, 21:40
Akapennypusher- for a number of reasons

A: A 1911 is just as reliable as a glock
B: I personally shoot a 1911 better than any of my glocks
C: I prefer .45ACP. It's my favorite caliber, and the G21 is to big for my hand
D: A 1911 feels better in my hand and has a longer sight radius
E: A 1911's trigger far exceeds anything my glocks could ever hope for

These all add up to good things. If or when I would ever need to draw my duty firearm to protect myself or others; the aboved mentioned positives of the 1911 would greatly enhance my chances of putting rounds down range where they needed to be thus saving my butt or someone elses butt.

AZ Husker
07-08-2009, 21:43
BULLEYE SHOOTERS love the 1911 Platform, I agree.:wow:

Try again....:juggle:

Short Cut
07-08-2009, 22:13
I had about 30K rounds downrange before I got my first 1911. When I got it, a Baer TRS, it took my shooting performance to a higher level. That was an eye opener for me that just switching hardware, to a ~90 year old platform no less, would make such an improvement in my shooting.

akapennypincher
07-09-2009, 05:27
Akapennypusher- for a number of reasons

A: A 1911 is just as reliable as a glock
B: I personally shoot a 1911 better than any of my glocks
C: I prefer .45ACP. It's my favorite caliber, and the G21 is to big for my hand
D: A 1911 feels better in my hand and has a longer sight radius
E: A 1911's trigger far exceeds anything my glocks could ever hope for

These all add up to good things. If or when I would ever need to draw my duty firearm to protect myself or others; the aboved mentioned positives of the 1911 would greatly enhance my chances of putting rounds down range where they needed to be thus saving my butt or someone elses butt.

I agree with A-D with the exception being all 1911's are not made equally, as some manufactures shall we say skim on QC. The G-21, and G-21 SL is also too big for my hands. Nuff said.

Good post.

custom2
07-09-2009, 07:17

WTF are you trying to say? I don't speak gibberish.

Kimber still does make a good product. The reason why you hear so much about bad quality control is because they are the industries leader in sales. They make more guns because more people buy them. They come out with more new models to try and compete with whats out there in the market.

When you have a company that sells more guns than the next guy, you are going to see more negative posts on internet forums when one of their guns break. What you don't see are the hundreds of thousands of posts from people that haven't had a problem. And you don't hear the experiences from people who don't post on forums period. People, for the most part, don't post when they don't have an issue and are happy. The only gun I have ever had a serious malfunction with was my Glock 22. But I don't come to Glock Talk and spew rotten opinions about it. What would I gain from doing so? Nothing. I have publicly stated here that I personally don't like them and I will probably will never buy another but I know that they work well for others. Glock just isn't my cup of tea.

The only issue I have with Kimber is them justifying using MIM parts on their high end guns and what they charge for those guns. But that is an entirely different discussion altogether. I have never had a problem with my Stainless 2, my Custom 2 or my CDP Pro 2. I think Kimber guns in the lower price points are great weapons and I think most people here will agree.

I never experienced this break in period everyone talks about. Every 1911 I have owned performed great out of the box. Ones that don't are usually built out of spec. Calling a 1911 hype is ridiculous. It's been around for almost a century and isn't going anywhere in the forseeable future.

HAMMERHEAD
07-09-2009, 08:29
WTF are you trying to say? I don't speak gibberish.

English is not AKA's first language, so let's cut him a little slack in that area.

deMontacute
07-09-2009, 10:43
English is not AKA's first language, so let's cut him a little slack in that area.
Agreed.

I think what he was saying is that Kimber tends to let the buyer be their Quality Control...

While he may be wrong about 1911s in general, I agree with him on Kimber...

fredj338
07-09-2009, 12:29
Hmm, then why would many of the top USPSA shooters disengage their grip safeties? Guess they all have small hands?

Again, when you hand them a 1911, is it a mil spec, or one with a beaver tail and some frame alterations?

I have both, for me there is little diff. I have avg. size hands & use as high a grip as possible but have never had the grip safety be an issue. I think most gamesman pin them for the just incase they don;t get a good grip. I think the newer modified grips safeties, hump, wedge, etc. pretty much eliminate the problem, if it really existed.:dunno:

Brian Dover
07-09-2009, 13:01
Remember that time (sorry, sounds like the beginning of a Family Guy flashback) that Glock Talk made akapennypincher the moderator of this section of the forum? Then after a few weeks of his obviously poorly crafted, non-fact-based opinions it was discovered that he didn't even OWN a 1911 style pistol? He was mostly going by what he'd seen as a volunteer range officer as memory serves.

It's all there if you wanna search back maybe three year or so.

corndogggy
07-09-2009, 13:13
none work right out of the BOX and they were like a Classic Car Restoration, COSTLY.

So let me get this straight, you bought multiple 1911's that didn't work at all, and instead of taking it back, you spend a bunch of money trying to fix them? :upeyes:

akapennypincher
07-09-2009, 17:00
So let me get this straight, you bought multiple 1911's that didn't work at all, and instead of taking it back, you spend a bunch of money trying to fix them? :upeyes:

I spent a bunch of money making them dependable. Firearms are not returnable to the seller, and honestly at $35.00/Shipping to the MFG it is BS.

As for KIMBERS honestly in what I saw with my eyes at a Shooting Range where I use to do about 500 HOURS/YEAR as a SAFETY OFFICER, Ill pass. Too MANY PROBLEMS.

All 1911's are not built equally, or with attention to Q/C.

Dave Sample use to teach a build you own 1911, it was a deal, and the knowledge gained in his course will last a lifetime.

Wish I had taken his course. As I would know all that was nessessary to make any 1911 RUN....

akapennypincher
07-09-2009, 17:00
Try again....:juggle:

Try READING my post.......

AZ Husker
07-09-2009, 17:33
Misunderstanding neighbor...my point is the 1911 is prevalent in ALL phases of shooting sports expensive or not. This shows that even with issues, the 1911 is a strong force. If shooters are willing to buy a gun, then have it brought up to their standards, the competition must be very weak.

AZ Husker
07-09-2009, 17:36
(And I do own several Glocks that I love shooting)

ksss
07-09-2009, 17:56
I have a had a couple of 1911's, my first a Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup in 10mm. My current is a Colt New Agent that is a great little gun.

I think the Sig P220 SAO Elite is the near perfect single action. My opinion of course, they captured the best of both worlds with that handgun. The single action trigger, 220 reliability. We can carry 1911's on duty and there are a lot of them.

BuckyP
07-10-2009, 05:51
Misunderstanding neighbor...my point is the 1911 is prevalent in ALL phases of shooting sports expensive or not. This shows that even with issues, the 1911 is a strong force. If shooters are willing to buy a gun, then have it brought up to their standards, the competition must be very weak.

The problem is that there is a lot of monkey see monkey do syndrome that goes on too. I'd at least concede that the 1911 is not necessarily a beginner gun. I see a lot of people come to shoots with 1911s that I'd much rather them have something simpler. Let's face it, most of the gun rags have over hyped 1911s for decades.

paul45
07-10-2009, 07:59

You are just having a bit of fun, aren't you..............

slewfoot
07-10-2009, 08:04
Where's the fun buying a reliable pistol out of the box?

The fun is buying a pistol, which was designed a century ago, and spending big bucks to make it perform like a modern pistol.:upeyes:

paul45
07-10-2009, 08:19
The reason why you hear so much about bad quality control is because they are the industries leader in sales.

That justifies too tight chambers and an flawed extractor design that had to be quietly dumped?

The reason why you hear so much about bad quality control in Kimbers could be that a BUNCH of buyers paid big money and had a BUNCH of problems. :whistling:

MD357
07-10-2009, 08:39
The problem is that there is a lot of monkey see monkey do syndrome that goes on too. I'd at least concede that the 1911 is not necessarily a beginner gun. I see a lot of people come to shoots with 1911s that I'd much rather them have something simpler. Let's face it, most of the gun rags have over hyped 1911s for decades.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

1911s are quite simple, hence they made through a war/conflict or two.

As far as the range comment goes, I had never seen so many glocks fail as when I started shooting competition. I think it's because many guys got away from the original design and specs by installing aftermarket parts. Same thing with 1911s IMO, again the further you get away from JMB's original design you seem to have issues. Unfortunately, some come that way from the factory.

BOGE
07-10-2009, 12:39
...1911s are quite simple, hence they made through a war/conflict or two...Same thing with 1911s IMO, again the further you get away from JMB's original design you seem to have issues. Unfortunately, some come that way from the factory.

I've often wondered about that as during WWII they used a lot of female labor in all the ordnance plants. Now nothing against women as I think they are probably more prone to accurate measurement than men. :whistling::supergrin:

Any way, back on track. If I am not mistaken they used "go/no go" gauges then with geneorous tolerances, hence the guns worked well under battlefield conditions WHICH IS WHAT THE 1911 WAS DESIGNED FOR. Feel free to step in and correct me on my assumprions.

gconan
07-10-2009, 15:51

The fun is buying a pistol, which was designed a century ago, and spending big bucks to make it perform like a modern pistol.:upeyes:

The 1911 is still one of the best, if not the very best pistol on this planet. Perhaps you will find out that truth one day.

crystal river c
07-10-2009, 17:26
I have purchased 4 different Glocks trying to make myself
like them. What a waste of time and money.:steamed: All were eventually
sold and replaced with another 1911.

Charlie

bac1023
07-10-2009, 17:49

Yeah, I spent huge bucks on my RIA ($370).

Its been more relaible than both of my Glocks.

custom2
07-10-2009, 18:11
That justifies too tight chambers and an flawed extractor design that had to be quietly dumped?

The reason why you hear so much about bad quality control in Kimbers could be that a BUNCH of buyers paid big money and had a BUNCH of problems. :whistling:

If you make more pistols, you are going to make more mistakes. That's just simple laws of the assembly line process.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kimber. I've only owned 3 1911's and they have all been Kimber low or medium priced guns. They all functioned great and I always paid well below MSRP. I got great deals on all of them. After becoming more involved in building up my Kimber and the Fusion Kit I am currently working on, I see now that Kimber isn't the gun company I once thought it was and I have a better understanding on what makes a great 1911.

In regards to the external extractor snaffu, Kimber manned up and replaced a whole lot of slides. A lot of the time, a slide was replaced even when the customer wasn't even complaining about an extractor issue. They just got their gun back with a new slide. I think they handled it pretty well. If you disagree thats cool.:smootchie:

If I didn't have the ability to build my own kit, I probably wouldn't buy Kimber products again. My money would be on Springfield. Top notch customer service and they actually have a real custom shop. Although, I would have no hesitation about recommending a Kimber to someone who was looking for a Custom or TLE type 1911. Well, I would try to talk them into letting me build one for them first, but if they said no............

custom2
07-10-2009, 18:24

If you make more pistols, you are going to make more mistakes. That's just simple laws of the assembly line process.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kimber. I've only owned 3 1911's and they have all been Kimber low or medium priced guns. They all functioned great and I always paid well below MSRP. I got great deals on all of them. After becoming more involved in building up my Kimber and the Fusion Kit I am currently working on, I see now that Kimber isn't the gun company I once thought it was and I have a better understanding on what makes a great 1911.

In regards to the external extractor snaffu, Kimber manned up and replaced a whole lot of slides. A lot of the time, a slide was replaced even when the customer wasn't even complaining about an extractor issue. They just got their gun back with a new slide. I think they handled it pretty well. If you disagree thats cool.:smootchie:

If I didn't have the ability to build my own kit, I probably wouldn't buy Kimber products again. My money would be on Springfield. Top notch customer service and they actually have a real custom shop. Although, I would have no hesitation about recommending a Kimber to someone who was looking for a Custom or TLE type 1911. Well, I would try to talk them into letting me build one for them first, but if they said no............

n2extrm
07-10-2009, 18:44
The plural of anecdote is not data.

1911s are quite simple, hence they made through a war/conflict or two.

As far as the range comment goes, I had never seen so many glocks fail as when I started shooting competition. I think it's because many guys got away from the original design and specs by installing aftermarket parts. Same thing with 1911s IMO, again the further you get away from JMB's original design you seem to have issues. Unfortunately, some come that way from the factory.

I have to agree here MD. I think poor quality parts, poorly done or thought out mods and home gunsmithing can be a bigger problem then the platform. Unfortunatly some of these are factory installed too!

stengun
07-10-2009, 20:03
Howdy,

I love 1911's!!!!!

How can anyone be a handgun person and not like the 1911? Beats me.

Sure, for CCW a Glock G23 sure is hard to beat, but for shooting, target pratice, Bull's Eye shooting etc., it's hard to beat a 1911.

A 1911 is a great CCW pistol as well, just a little heavy.

Paul

RonS
07-10-2009, 20:54
First GSSF match I shot my G22 needed a trip to the onsite armorer and got a new guide rod/spring set and new magazine springs. Failed to RTB a couple of times on the first stage. I thereby conclude that. . .

Nope, not going there. Glocks are good guns. I just prefer 1911s.

Zombie Steve
07-10-2009, 21:42
Let's face it, most of the gun rags have over hyped 1911s for decades.

I can't think of any gun the gun rags haven't over hyped... glocks included.

BOGE
07-10-2009, 23:47
Howdy,

I love 1911's!!!!!

How can anyone be a handgun person and not like the 1911? Beats me.

Sure, for CCW a Glock G23 sure is hard to beat, but for shooting, target pratice, Bull's Eye shooting etc., it's hard to beat a 1911.

A 1911 is a great CCW pistol as well, just a little heavy.

Paul

Best post yet. :whistling:

ferretray
07-11-2009, 17:29

Like some have posted, not everyone has had your bad luck in 1911's.

bac1023
07-11-2009, 17:32
I can't think of any gun the gun rags haven't over hyped... glocks included.

:agree:

When was the last time you read a bad gun review?

tedwhite
07-11-2009, 21:18
Quite frequently in Gun Tests Magazine. No advertising for openers. If they don't like a gun they give it an 'F.'

bac1023
07-11-2009, 22:47
Quite frequently in Gun Tests Magazine. No advertising for openers. If they don't like a gun they give it an 'F.'

That's the reason, no sponsers.

Huevos
07-11-2009, 23:30

I have 9 1911's and only one I bought new (the rest used). They all run 100% and all but one is stock. If I were you, I wouldn't buy any lottery tickets....

bac1023
07-11-2009, 23:58
I have 9 1911's and only one I bought new (the rest used). They all run 100% and all but one is stock. If I were you, I wouldn't buy any lottery tickets....

:agree:

MD357
07-12-2009, 00:57

I think he might be fine in his odds for a lottery ticket..... I just think that sometimes the .45ACP might be a bit too much for some individuals for whatever reason.

It's a poor musician that blames his instrument.

KCCAD
07-12-2009, 07:54
tagged

bac1023
07-12-2009, 08:33
tagged

For what? :whistling:

zdragon23c
07-12-2009, 09:07

i'll bet you a six pack of ChingTao that your next new 1911 will run 100% out of the box...... seriously :supergrin:

bac1023
07-12-2009, 09:09
i'll bet you a six pack of ChingTao that your next new 1911 will run 100% out of the box...... seriously :supergrin:

sigdeputy
07-12-2009, 09:33
Tell me how great your Glock is in another, oh say, 75 years. It may still be one of the greatest contributions to the handgun world. It might also be relegated to the annals of history as another flash in the pan. Something tells me the 1911 will still be around in some shape, form or fashion. Just my .02!

bac1023
07-12-2009, 09:50
Tell me how great your Glock is in another, oh say, 75 years. It may still be one of the greatest contributions to the handgun world. It might also be relegated to the annals of history as another flash in the pan. Something tells me the 1911 will still be around in some shape, form or fashion. Just my .02!

Probably hard to call a design that's been around for 25 years and counting a flash in the pan, but I think the 1911 will outlast the Glock as well.

Misty02
07-12-2009, 15:31
Iíve fired a couple of 1911; they were very accurate and very pretty. Iíve looked at a zillion pictures of 1911 (ok, I am exaggerating a little) and some were absolutely breathtaking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I know Iíll own one eventually, but it has to be the most beautiful one Iíve seen and Iíll have to have the spare cash to throw its way too. That one would be a safe queen that is taken to the range ever so often and stared at often.<o:p></o:p>

n2extrm
07-12-2009, 15:50
Iíve fired a couple of 1911; they were very accurate and very pretty. Iíve looked at a zillion pictures of 1911 (ok, I am exaggerating a little) and some were absolutely breathtaking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know Iíll own one eventually, but it has to be the most beautiful one Iíve seen and Iíll have to have the spare cash to throw its way too. That one would be a safe queen that is taken to the range ever so often and stared at often.<o:p></o:p>

Misty I said the same thing. After about 15 years I bought just one 1911 about 2 or 3 years ago. Number 4 is on order and 5 is being looked at! LOL! All I am saying is be really carefull, they are like potato chips you can't have just one! Ask Bac!

Fire_Medic
07-12-2009, 16:04
Misty I said the same thing. After about 15 years I bought just one 1911 about 2 or 3 years ago. Number 4 is on order and 5 is being looked at! LOL! All I am saying is be really carefull, they are like potato chips you can't have just one! Ask Bac!

+1. Bought my first almost 2 months ago, #2 is on the way shortly, and I'm eyeballing a couple more already, lol.

Misty02
07-12-2009, 16:06

Unfortunately, I believe you in that one.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I had absolutely no interest in firearms in July of last year. After I bought my first I was content, needed nothing more. Now we have 6 and a mile long list of what I would like to have. This is a terrible addiction!<o:p></o:p>
Iím asking Bac nothing other than ďcan I go shopping in your safe?Ē :supergrin: I have a feeling he would be a terrible influence, any contact and I would need to develop an Excel spreadsheet for my ďwish listĒ.

<o:p></o:p>

BOGE
07-12-2009, 16:14
Probably hard to call a design that's been around for 25 years and counting a flash in the pan, but I think the 1911 will outlast the Glock as well.

Only time will tell but I'd imagine that the Glock has surpassed the 1911 in production numbers. Only in the U.S. is their such a love affair with the 1911, fat Mexcian Border guards with .38 Supers aside. :supergrin:

In the Third World Glocks pretty much rule the roost.

Fire_Medic
07-12-2009, 16:20
Only time will tell but I'd imagine that the Glock has surpassed the 1911 in production numbers. Only in the U.S. is their such a love affair with the 1911, fat Mexcian Border guards with .38 Supers aside. :supergrin:

In the Third World Glocks pretty much rule the roost.

Mostly due to the lower cost and lower maintenance not necessarily because it's a better gun. (3rd World...)

Just my $0.02

BOGE
07-12-2009, 16:42
Mostly due to the lower cost and lower maintenance not necessarily because it's a better gun. (3rd World...)

Just my $0.02

Of course. A Rolls Royce is a better vehicle than a Toyota 4 Runner, but which would you prefer in the jungle? :supergrin: Different tools have different applications.

Fire_Medic
07-12-2009, 16:45
Of course. A Rolls Royce is a better vehicle than a Toyota 4 Runner, but which would you prefer in the jungle? :supergrin: Different tools have different applications.

I agree I'm not arguing. Just adding my $0.02 previously, is all. :wavey:

faawrenchbndr
07-12-2009, 16:46
I'd say one's Rolex and one's a Casio G-Shock

The 1911 is a timeless design with graceful lines & an elegant ballance of wood & steel.
The Glock is a reliable, cheap, blocky, durable design that refuses to quit.

Both can get the job done, they are just at extreme far ends of the spectrum.

darth board
07-12-2009, 18:04
it's hard to find a 1911 that will work 100% out of the box you have to tune it first but that's the nature of the beast it's either you love it or hate it if you're looking for a reliable gun out of the box then a 1911 is not for you but once you have fired a finely tuned 1911 it will be very difficult for you to hate it.

Fire_Medic
07-12-2009, 18:10
it's hard to find a 1911 that will work 100% out of the box you have to tune it first but that's the nature of the beast it's either you love it or hate it if you're looking for a reliable gun out of the box then a 1911 is not for you but once you have fired a finely tuned 1911 it will be very difficult for you to hate it.

My CBOB has been 100% so I guess it depends on your 1911. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
07-12-2009, 18:14
I have a Kimber Custom II, with MIM parts, 100% reliability rate!
Works for me like a well oiled Singer sewing machine! :supergrin:

bac1023
07-12-2009, 18:31

Good Lord, where does this stuff come from? :upeyes:

I have almost four dozen 1911s. All but a couple have been 100% out of the box with zero "tuning". Those that did malfunction straightened themselves out after 100 rounds.

I don't get this stuff at all. :dunno:

zdragon23c
07-12-2009, 19:42
I have a Kimber Custom II, with MIM parts, 100% reliability rate!
Works for me like a well oiled Singer sewing machine! :supergrin:

i own a customII....i believe it.

MD357
07-12-2009, 19:53

There's a lot of ignorance and obvious inexperience in this comment. Just curious.... who tuned the millions of 1911s before WWII?

bac1023
07-12-2009, 20:11
There's a lot of ignorance and obvious inexperience in this comment. Just curious.... who tuned the millions of 1911s before WWII?

A good point.

Palmer812
07-12-2009, 20:17
I shot my first 1911 today for the first time today. It is a matte nickel RIA. I put about 100 rounds through it with zero problems and it was pretty accurate as well. No tuning necessary and it cost less than my G27.

bac1023
07-12-2009, 20:19
I shot my first 1911 today for the first time today. It is a matte nickel RIA. I put about 100 rounds through it with zero problems and it was pretty accurate as well. No tuning necessary and it cost less than my G27.

Cool.

My RIA has been great as well.

BOGE
07-12-2009, 21:48
Good Lord, where does this stuff come from? :upeyes:

I have almost four dozen 1911s. All but a couple have been 100% out of the box with zero "tuning". Those that did malfunction straightened themselves out after 100 rounds.

I don't get this stuff at all. :dunno:

Alright. Here goes:

New Colt stainless Officer's Model bought in '86. POS would not even feed hardball. Traded it for a new G17 & cash.

New Randall Gov't Model with ill fitted barrel hood. Would not function.

New SA "Loaded" Jamamatic in '99. Went back to the dealer to inquire and he said he sent back all 4 or 5 he had received for bad machining. He traded me straight up for the following Kimber as I was a good customer.

New Kimber in '99 was Jamamatic with even Wilson mags. Took it to a top 1911 'smith who cobbled it & said "unload it" which I promptly did in a trade.

There are MANY more as well but I've made my point. As a note, the local range I hang out at has a 'smith who used to work for SA who is straight up honest & sharp. He told me that easily 40% to 50% of new 1911's he sees need work and that is not including "limp wristers" & cheesey mags.

To add insult to injury I've owned two box stock Norincos that ate everything like a Duroc hog. No wonder the Chicoms are beating our butts. :whistling:
The only 1911 I now own is a box stock S&W 1911 that jammed a few times on initial break in but shoots everything well now + I use Cobramags. It's a fine 1911 IMO. I have not "gutted" the MIM as quite frankly I also am tired of pumping more cash into a 1911 at this point in my life as I imagine I've already spent enough in the the past to make me wince. :whistling:

1911 nightmares? Yep, I've lived through several.

Rob360
07-12-2009, 21:52
I know this was already mentioned, but I still find it hilarious that the thread title makes reference to 1911's being "hype" when they have been around for 98 years!

zdragon23c
07-12-2009, 22:30
Cool.

My RIA has been great as well.

my High Standard(RIA sister gun) runs 100% with a Colt NM slide and series70 barrel...my favorite project 1911.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/52dragon/Picture120.jpg
novak sight/wilson disconnector/nowlin sear/kimber FLGR/greider trigger/S&W slide stop/Wilson grip safety

bac1023
07-13-2009, 04:32
my High Standard(RIA sister gun) runs 100% with a Colt NM slide and series70 barrel...my favorite project 1911.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/52dragon/Picture120.jpg
novak sight/wilson disconnector/nowlin sear/kimber FLGR/greider trigger/S&W slide stop/Wilson grip safety

Very nice.

Yeah, the Hi-Standards are also built by Armscor.

deMontacute
07-13-2009, 07:03
:upeyes:

tedwhite
07-13-2009, 09:27
bac1023:

That Hi Standard is one beautiful 1911. Enlighten me: what is/are Kimber FLGR? The grips?
They do look like the rubberized grips on my Kimber (which I like a lot).

zdragon23c
07-13-2009, 09:45
deleted

faawrenchbndr
07-13-2009, 09:59
bac1023:

That Hi Standard is one beautiful 1911. Enlighten me: what is/are Kimber FLGR? The grips?

The Hi Standard belongs zdragon23c.
The "Kimber FLGR"...... full length guide rod.

Those do look like Kimber grip.

bac1023
07-13-2009, 16:45
bac1023:

Full length guide rod.

fredj338
07-13-2009, 17:12

The more basic the 1911, the less chance of problems with it. Start "tuning" & all kinds of things can go wrong. All of mine go 100%, several right out of the box including my Colt OM. Best "old" designed fighting pistol ever IMO. The quality 8rd mags & current JHP ammo make it even better today than it was 50yrs ago.

Bob45acp
07-13-2009, 17:47

I was only on this thread to read it, but when I saw this, I had to chime in...

I don't give a crap about my Glock in 75 years because I won't be around to see it, neither will my wife and maybe not even my son, he's 11 now. So who cares? What I care about is what it does for the next 30 years or so and I'm sure it will do just fine!

jrs93accord
07-13-2009, 18:35
Of all my 1911s (17 of them right now), I have not had any issues thus far. Even my 1918 Colt shoots beautifully. To me, the 1911 is Americana. It is a timeless firearm that has stretched over decades and continents. It has been replicated in China, the Netherlands, Spain, Phillipines, and Argentina. Israel has even produced a version. Even Turkey is producing a new 1911. The 1911 is the quintessential firearm.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00793.jpg

Glocker1984
07-13-2009, 19:41
:goodpost: and nice 1911 collection by the way. :wavey:

bac1023
07-13-2009, 19:58
Of all my 1911s (17 of them right now), I have not had any issues thus far. Even my 1918 Colt shoots beautifully. To me, the 1911 is Americana. It is a timeless firearm that has stretched over decades and continents. It has been replicated in China, the Netherlands, Spain, Phillipines, and Argentina. Israel has even produced a version. The 1911 is the quintessential firearm.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00793.jpg

A great pic. :thumbsup:

MD357
07-13-2009, 22:04
The more basic the 1911, the less chance of problems with it. Start "tuning" & all kinds of things can go wrong. All of mine go 100%, several right out of the box including my Colt OM. Best "old" designed fighting pistol ever IMO. The quality 8rd mags & current JHP ammo make it even better today than it was 50yrs ago.

Oh I definately agree and have previously stated this. :cool:

ROGER4314
07-18-2009, 22:20
I think the best way to illustrate the reason 1911A1 pistols have a fantastic reputation is by recording the service life of a 1911 to see what they will do.

My first 1911A1 was purchased used in 1968. It has been through incredible use and abuse.

The pistol had tens of thousands of live rounds through it in all kinds of weather and conditions. Most rounds were reloads and the empty bullet boxes let me account for the first few thousand rounds.

The Colt was carried for years as a small game hunting gun in the midwest and endured lots of abuse as a small game getter. It scored a truckload of rats in Kansas trash dumps. It climbed fences, forded creeks and waded through brush piles. The holster (Safari Land Sight Track) gave it up years ago. The neoprene in the sight track cracked out and the leather isn't doing very well, either. I keep it just for grins.

Later, I used the Colt to compete in fast draw "combat shooting" (That's what they used to call it!).

About 20 years ago, I replaced the barrel just because I wanted to. The old one was fine.

The grip front strap has my finger imprints worn to the bare metal and the pistol has really been around!

Dry firing? It has been dry fired without any kind of "snap cap" or other device countless thousands of times for approximately 40 years. Don't forget, I bought the pistol used. I keep black stickers on my wall that I use for dry firing targets and as I type this, one of its brother 1911's is sitting on the desk for the same purpose. (NOTE....there are no kids in my home). This is an every day thing for me.

About 20 years ago, I took the firing pin out and stoned a small burr off of the rear of the pin. Since then, it has received a little oil but nothing else. The firing pin stop has a significant pattern beaten into it by the hammer. I keep expecting a crack to develop but it keeps hanging in there.

A few months ago, I sent for a new firing pin, return spring and and firing pin stop as insurance but they are still sitting in the parts box.

Regarding performance: My favorite targets in the old days were bullet holes. Tiny targets make for tight shooting and that pistol has always been deadly accurate.

Four years ago, I used the Colt to shoot my Concealed Handgun test. The score was nearly perfect with zero malfunctions. Nerves tossed one round off target.

Four years later, after tons of shooting and dry firing, it went to my CHL renewal class and fired a perfect score with zero malfunctions. The pistol still has the original hammer, firing pin, spring and stop in it. One Jay Scott grip (remember those?) developed a crack which began to get bigger. I recently replaced them with a beautiful set of double diamond grips.

My Colt has been through unbelievable abuse and still works fine. At my 62 years, someone else may have to wear it out. I've done my best and it's still going to outlive its owner.

The constant practice has done its work, however. Anything the scary end of that Colt is pointed at will take a hit. There is no such thing as shooting "at" something when the Colt and I get together.

If you have tortured a 1911A1 any worse than this, let's hear it. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Flash

Rob360
07-18-2009, 22:34
^ meh. Just more "hype".

;)

custom2
07-18-2009, 22:49
If you have tortured a 1911A1 any worse than this, let's hear it. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Flash

I think the only person who could have tortured a 1911 worse than you is any GI that fought with one during WWI and WWII.

If those 2 wars and the torture test your 40+ year old pistol has endured by you owning it (I mean that in a good way) isn't enough to convince people that the 1911 is more than hype, I don't know what will.

Some people just don't get 1911's. It's too bad for them but it also means there are more for us.:supergrin:

Krigloch
07-18-2009, 23:48
only thing that sucks about a 1911 is the price. :whistling:

crystal river c
07-19-2009, 02:56
My Kimber Pro Carry II.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/cdf00001/m1.jpg
A little over a 1000 rounds through it with no problems.
Tried a Glock 30SF for a while but I now carry my Kimber

bac1023
07-19-2009, 05:22
only thing that sucks about a 1911 is the price. :whistling:

Well, at least your getting something that's worth the price paid, unlike some other popular pistols. :whistling:

Rob360
07-19-2009, 10:11
Well, at least your getting something that's worth the price paid, unlike some other popular pistols. :whistling:

:supergrin:

bac1023
07-19-2009, 20:02
My Kimber Pro Carry II.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/cdf00001/m1.jpg
A little over a 1000 rounds through it with no problems.
Tried a Glock 30SF for a while but I now carry my Kimber

Looks nice.

I like the smooth grips.

PrimeTime
07-28-2009, 08:57
I hear the occasional thread that questions the 1911, and even bashes it a little here and there.

My 1911 experience started in basic, and I've carried one daily on and off duty ever since. Of all the 1911's I own and have owned, was issued, friends guns I've shot, etc., I have had issues with only two. One was an early Springfield compact that didn't like the issue mags (easy fix), and the other was my partners 1991 Colt Gov't that was a picky eater, but 200 rounds later the gun fixed itself.

The guns work and win, for almost a century. Unlike most modern handguns that were designed in collaboration with product liability lawyers and politically correct administators, the 1911 was designed for war. This it does quite well.

But that's just me, as I agree certainly not for everybody.

tedwhite
07-28-2009, 18:51
Crystal River

What grips are those on your Kimber? I like to get some for my Kimber, too. Also, what wood are they made from?

bac1023
07-28-2009, 21:21
Crystal River

What grips are those on your Kimber? I like to get some for my Kimber, too. Also, what wood are they made from?

They look similar to the smooth cocobolo grips on my STI Legacy.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_1757.jpg

ursoboostd
08-02-2009, 10:05
Saying "I don't get the 1911 hype" is like saying " I dont get the Chevy pushrod 350 hype". JMHO -Wade-

Zombie Steve
08-02-2009, 10:28
I still don't get all the hype over this internet thing. It will never last.

ROGER4314, Let's see a picture of the old workhorse!!!

bac1023
08-02-2009, 11:08
I still don't get all the hype over this internet thing. It will never last.

:rofl::rofl:

Rob360
08-02-2009, 17:31
Saying "I don't get the 1911 hype" is like saying " I dont get the Chevy pushrod 350 hype". JMHO -Wade-

:supergrin::cool:

crystal river c
08-02-2009, 18:20
Crystal River

www.woodgrips.com/ (http://www.woodgrips.com/)

Smooth Walnut

Charlie

Cobra64
08-02-2009, 18:34
Well, at least your getting something that's worth the price paid...

Not you too?!

:)

Cobra64
08-02-2009, 18:36
Looks nice.

I like the smooth grips.

Yup. Smooth grips allow the natural wood grain's appearance to flourish. :)

They may not be practical on a hot day, but they're sure pretty.

bac1023
08-02-2009, 19:17
Not you too?!

:)

LOL!

Yeah, once in a while I type too fast and slip up with that. ;)

bac1023
08-02-2009, 19:22
Yup. Smooth grips allow the natural wood grain's appearance to flourish. :)

They may not be practical on a hot day, but they're sure pretty.

I love the look of smooth wood grips. :hearts:

Rob360
08-02-2009, 19:22
LOL!

Yeah, once in a while I type too fast and slip up with that. ;)

Your going to regret doing that.

bac1023
08-02-2009, 19:24
Your going to regret doing that.

:rofl::rofl:

Annoyedgrunt
08-02-2009, 20:22
I think the best way to illustrate the reason 1911A1 pistols have a fantastic reputation is by recording the service life of a 1911 to see what they will do.

My first 1911A1 was purchased used in 1968. It has been through incredible use and abuse.

The pistol had tens of thousands of live rounds through it in all kinds of weather and conditions. Most rounds were reloads and the empty bullet boxes let me account for the first few thousand rounds.

The Colt was carried for years as a small game hunting gun in the midwest and endured lots of abuse as a small game getter. It scored a truckload of rats in Kansas trash dumps. It climbed fences, forded creeks and waded through brush piles. The holster (Safari Land Sight Track) gave it up years ago. The neoprene in the sight track cracked out and the leather isn't doing very well, either. I keep it just for grins.

Later, I used the Colt to compete in fast draw "combat shooting" (That's what they used to call it!).

About 20 years ago, I replaced the barrel just because I wanted to. The old one was fine.

The grip front strap has my finger imprints worn to the bare metal and the pistol has really been around!

Dry firing? It has been dry fired without any kind of "snap cap" or other device countless thousands of times for approximately 40 years. Don't forget, I bought the pistol used. I keep black stickers on my wall that I use for dry firing targets and as I type this, one of its brother 1911's is sitting on the desk for the same purpose. (NOTE....there are no kids in my home). This is an every day thing for me.

About 20 years ago, I took the firing pin out and stoned a small burr off of the rear of the pin. Since then, it has received a little oil but nothing else. The firing pin stop has a significant pattern beaten into it by the hammer. I keep expecting a crack to develop but it keeps hanging in there.

A few months ago, I sent for a new firing pin, return spring and and firing pin stop as insurance but they are still sitting in the parts box.

Regarding performance: My favorite targets in the old days were bullet holes. Tiny targets make for tight shooting and that pistol has always been deadly accurate.

Four years ago, I used the Colt to shoot my Concealed Handgun test. The score was nearly perfect with zero malfunctions. Nerves tossed one round off target.

Four years later, after tons of shooting and dry firing, it went to my CHL renewal class and fired a perfect score with zero malfunctions. The pistol still has the original hammer, firing pin, spring and stop in it. One Jay Scott grip (remember those?) developed a crack which began to get bigger. I recently replaced them with a beautiful set of double diamond grips.

My Colt has been through unbelievable abuse and still works fine. At my 62 years, someone else may have to wear it out. I've done my best and it's still going to outlive its owner.

The constant practice has done its work, however. Anything the scary end of that Colt is pointed at will take a hit. There is no such thing as shooting "at" something when the Colt and I get together.

Flash

Great story, and it sounds like you've got (had) a true keeper. Do you have pictures of that weapon? :patriot:

ROGER4314
01-10-2010, 12:25
Great story, and it sounds like you've got (had) a true keeper. Do you have pictures of that weapon? :patriot:

Please note the finger imprints worn completely to the bare metal. The pistol has been around and I bought it USED! Yes, I still own it.

Flash

hatidua
01-10-2010, 14:41
Only in the U.S. is their such a love affair with the 1911

I could list countries that would debunk this myth but see little point. Carry on with your assumptions -

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
01-10-2010, 15:07
I dont think there is a lot of hype with it. Hype kinda implies the positives are undeserved. The many positives are simply very well deserved.

- Its a historical legend
- for many years, it was the best combat pistol option out there. (1911 - 1980's ?)
- Its a .45
- Its an ergonomic masterpiece. The single column grip fits the majority of people very well. It also is a very pointable gun.
- The SA trigger is still one of the best
- its fairly easily customized
- Many more reasons that I am forgetting....

But that said, reliability and manual of arms is where it comes up lacking in my experience when compared to modern day semi-autos. This is a very general observation on my part and it obviously differs with a great many who have already opined. But in my experience modern autos like Glock/Sig/Beretta/HK are all more reliable than most 1911's I have owned and shot. Additionally, I think that a manual safety is something that requires additional training to master. And extra training consumes both time and money.

MacG22
01-10-2010, 16:52
undead thread. love'em.

glock2740
01-10-2010, 17:23
Then don't buy anymore 1911's and sell the one's you have. Noone is making you buy or like them. :wavey:

Bill Lumberg
01-12-2010, 15:19
My 1911 functions flawlessly. That said, it isn't as reliable under all conditions as my glocks, and requires more care. The 1911, however, has an old school charm that no glock has.

Ruggles
01-12-2010, 16:01
Not to mention you can not pistol somebody with a Glock like you can a 1911 :)

ROGER4314
01-31-2010, 23:52
I was looking at the pic I posted of my old Colt 1911 and started a mental tour of the places we've been together. One story made me smile and I'd love to share it.

I was newly married to a Kansas girl. We took the .45 and a couple of .22's to a trash dump where I shot rats a few times per week. She just HAD to shoot that .45! Anyway, she was stubborn with a fire hot temper and she brushed away my suggestions and told me that "she knew how to shoot the Colt and to get the Hell out of the way!"

She held the pistol real close to her face and once again told me to shut up. When she touched that Colt off, it reared up, that pointy front sight cracked her at the top of the forehead and opened up a real gash. I tried not to laugh as she still held the .45 in her hand but I just couldn't help it!

As an old man and a retired teacher replaying it, I would have forbidden her to shoot until she would follow safety instructions. At 20 or so, I wasn't that way. She got her way and that's what she asked for. She never wanted to go shooting again and that was fine with me.

She's long gone, thank God, and the Colt and I are still together!

Flash

Glock-it-to-me
01-31-2010, 23:59
I bought my stainless steel Springfield Champion as new for $450 in the mid 90's (the barrel bushing configuration). It's so reliable, I've yet to invest a dime in the weapon (other that a couple of holsters)