Some questions about FL. Tampa Area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about FL. Tampa Area

ZGlock #427
07-08-2009, 16:08
To make a long story short, opportunity may be coming up, and I could be moving down to that area. My fiance' and I, and small dog. No kids.

I have a bunch of questions, but ill start with these...

1. Could I get away with just a bike (motorcycle) for my main mode of transportation? I had a bike a few years ago, sold it and miss it. Keep in mind my fiance' has a Maxima, so wed have a car in the house.

and

2. What are some reasonable rents in decent neigborhoods?

Thanks.

hockeyrcks9901
07-08-2009, 16:13
If you have to live in Tampa I have no advice. You will need a car because we get rain here every single freaking day in the summer. Guaranteed.

If you are willing to commute a small distance, I highly recommend living in St. Petersburg. It is a very suburban area with nice houses and great shopping. Very relaxed and there is a great gun range that even sells it's own reloads to shooters.

There is a bus system that can take you from St. Pete to Tampa. I moved out of St. Pete 4 years ago to school in Orlando but I miss it so very much.

Are you looking for a house or an apartment? Either way, you will have absolutely zero problems finding what you are looking for. We have houses that range from 10 million on the water to 45,000 in a grungy neighborhood and everything in between. Renting wise, if you want like a 1 bedroom, probably 300-1500 a month depending on bedrooms and location... Again, you could be anywhere from a fantastic condo/apartment on the water, to a grungy place in the Tampa ghetto.

South Fla
07-08-2009, 16:41
In Tampa, stay away from the USF area.

In St. Petersburg, stay north of 4th Ave North and west of 34th Street North.

Avoid at all costs south and east of those two locations.

hockeyrcks9901
07-08-2009, 17:31
Going East of 34th Street N. is fine so long as you are north of 54th Ave N.

I highly recommend that area. I assume you'll be working in Tampa and that area of St. Pete is easy to commute from too.

staticfiend
07-08-2009, 17:48
Avoid St Pete all together. I cant believe you people are suggesting St Pete. That is our Miami. Filled with crime and filth. There are so many nice suburbs around Tampa like Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Citrus Park, Carrollwood. You should really visit and find an area you like. Tampa is a really nice place to live. Been here a year after doing 6 years in Fort Lauderdale. The winter here is awesome.

Truffle8Shuffle
07-08-2009, 17:50
My ex lived around the Temple Terrace area when she was going to school at USF and it was kind of dumpy. Some areas had nice looking neighborhoods/apartment complexes on one side of the road and crappy looking places on the other.

My aunt and uncle have lived in the Land 'O Lakes area just north of Tampa proper for about 15 years after leaving the Tampa area and love it. It's a pretty nice area with good neighborhoods and lots of lakes. Not too far, maybe 20-30 minute commute from downtown Tampa. My cousin lived at home during college at USF and never had a problem commuting. Good luck. :wavey:

PS- Like it was said, I wouldn't rely on a bike for my only form of transportation from about March-October due to the rain.

hockeyrcks9901
07-08-2009, 17:52
Avoid St Pete all together. I cant believe you people are suggesting St Pete. That is our Miami. Filled with crime and filth. There are so many nice suburbs around Tampa like Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Citrus Park, Carrollwood. You should really visit and find an area you like. Tampa is a really nice place to live. Been here a year after doing 6 years in Fort Lauderdale. The winter here is awesome.

You've only been living there a year... I've been living there for 19 years. St. Pete is a fine city to live in with a lower crime rate than Tampa.

Belzelbub
07-08-2009, 17:57
1. Could I get away with just a bike (motorcycle) for my main mode of transportation? I had a bike a few years ago, sold it and miss it. Keep in mind my fiance' has a Maxima, so wed have a car in the house.
Possibly. Though we've been in a drought recently, rain is normally a frequent occurrence. Be prepared to get wet.

Also, it depends on what your normal route would be. The place is crawling with bad drivers. See above rain comment. Even though it rains frequently, that doesn't mean that people know how to drive in rain.

Can't help you with the rent question. Haven't looked into renting in 15 years or so.

UncleLuke
07-08-2009, 17:59
I have lived in Pinellas & Hillborough Counties my whole life. Great advise in this thread so far! I say no on the bike, traffic, weather, idiots on the road, keep it for the burbs. St Pete and Tampa both have nice areas and ghettos, I say pic a place close to work to stay, like 10 mins away because of traffic. I love it here!

hockeyrcks9901
07-08-2009, 18:02
I have lived in Pinellas & Hillborough Counties my whole life. Great advise in this thread so far! I say no on the bike, traffic, weather, idiots on the road, keep it for the burbs. St Pete and Tampa both have nice areas and ghettos, I say pic a place close to work to stay, like 10 mins away because of traffic. I love it here!

Clearwater is also a very nice area from my experience. I hate Clearwater beach just because it is so loaded up with tourists but the rest of Clearwater seems fine...I'd rather go to Ft. Desoto beach for the privacy. I would highly recommend Clearwater if you wouldn't mind a long commute to Tampa.

misunderestimated
07-08-2009, 18:13
I would highly recommend Clearwater if you wouldn't mind a long commute to Tampa.[/quote]

I am a snowbird from New York to Clearwater. I absolutely love the clearwater,

I would recomend before you commit to moving you some how find away to spend a week in the area during the summer. Its nothing like the weather we have in the north east. Its unbearable. Anytime I am there in the summer I go from the car to the house in the A/C

Great place to be ,But me personally would never last in the summer there

Also as for a bike. I would not suggest one as it raines almost ever summer day.and there seams to be a ton of Senior citazens on the road

Best of luck

The biggest gun store I ever went to was in Tampa

bchandler
07-08-2009, 18:25
I'm from Orlando (about an hour to the east), so my advice may not wholly apply, but I would not want a bike as my sole means of transport. Traffic is terrible in both Tampa and Orlando, there are lots of older drivers that make mistakes, it rains daily in the current season, and is too hot and humid to sit in traffic exposed most of the rest of the year, especially with gear on. There are a few great months for riding, however, around Feb-April. But keep it as a hobby unless you live 5 minutes from work and can take back roads :)

hockeyrcks9901
07-08-2009, 18:27
I am a snowbird from New York to Clearwater. I absolutely love the clearwater,

I would recomend before you commit to moving you some how find away to spend a week in the area during the summer. Its nothing like the weather we have in the north east. Its unbearable. Anytime I am there in the summer I go from the car to the house in the A/C

Great place to be ,But me personally would never last in the summer there

Also as for a bike. I would not suggest one as it raines almost ever summer day.and there seams to be a ton of Senior citazens on the road

Best of luck

The biggest gun store I ever went to was in Tampa

Yep. When ever I travel somewhere like New Mexico or Arizona it's actually quite refreshing. The temps there may hit 120 F but I would take that over 100 F with 99% humidity. Everyone here basically lives in their air conditioned car or air conditioned office or air conditioned house.

BEANCOUNTER
07-08-2009, 18:33
This might give you a start -

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Florida/Tampa/

As other posters have pointed out, driving around here is no fun. You might like living close to where you work, especially if you want to ride a motorcycle. (But keep in mind my mother-in-law is 89, sees double, and still has a valid drivers license. :scared: No, we don't let her use it, but she has it.)

Whiskey Six
07-08-2009, 18:41
My girlfriend's best friend lives in Madeira Beach. My GF loves it there and would love to move there. I KNOW I could not stand the humidity. Just sayin.

Powder
07-08-2009, 18:56
Yep. When ever I travel somewhere like New Mexico or Arizona it's actually quite refreshing. The temps there may hit 120 F but I would take that over 100 F with 99% humidity. Everyone here basically lives in their air conditioned car or air conditioned office or air conditioned house.

You pansies.:supergrin:

I worked outside all day the past 2 summers and you really do get accustomed to it. Just drink lots of water and don't kill yourself. Also LOTS of sunscreen.

johnd
07-09-2009, 11:03
Some interesting comments and suggestions here but you specified no particular place so thats pretty tough to comment on or recommend anything specific....the "Tampa St Pete area" is a HUGE sprawling megalopolis...."St Pete" ( center of downtown definition) is < 20 Miles from "Tampa" ( center) across a number of bridges...Tampa is then another 20 -30 miles the other way to its "suburbs"...in fact the entire State with few exceptions is a gigantic suburb.
St Pete is in a completely different county to that of Tampa.
Yes there are some nasty places in St Pete area just as there are some equally nasty places in the Tampa area.
Yes there are some stunningly beautiful, genteel and safe places in each location and so on and so forth.

Suffice to say that we have lived here for more than 20 years....we have also moved away a few times but always kept the home in Clearwater and always came back to it. But thats just us.
Tell us all what area you are thinking about moving to and maybe you can get some better suggestions

hockeyrcks9901
07-09-2009, 17:51
Some interesting comments and suggestions here but you specified no particular place so thats pretty tough to comment on or recommend anything specific....the "Tampa St Pete area" is a HUGE sprawling megalopolis...."St Pete" ( center of downtown definition) is < 20 Miles from "Tampa" ( center) across a number of bridges...Tampa is then another 20 -30 miles the other way to its "suburbs"...in fact the entire State with few exceptions is a gigantic suburb.
St Pete is in a completely different county to that of Tampa.
Yes there are some nasty places in St Pete area just as there are some equally nasty places in the Tampa area.
Yes there are some stunningly beautiful, genteel and safe places in each location and so on and so forth.

Suffice to say that we have lived here for more than 20 years....we have also moved away a few times but always kept the home in Clearwater and always came back to it. But thats just us.
Tell us all what area you are thinking about moving to and maybe you can get some better suggestions

Very good post...not sure why I never mentioned that either. The Tampa Bay Area is easily larger than Orlando or Miami in terms of size. There are great areas and terrible all over.

40 Cal Joe
07-13-2009, 07:14
I lived in Brandon for 15 years. We enjoyed living there. Traffic on SR 60 can be frustrating at times though. Good shopping, lots of restaurants, 16 minutes from the Ice the Palace (ST Pete Times Forum if you will) and hockey and 15 minuted from Downtown Tampa.

Sgt. Schultz
07-13-2009, 07:46
It's been since the early 80's since I lived in the Tampa area so I don't know if this is still a problem, but the biggest issue I had with riding a motorcycle were the "love bug" swarms that could be thicker then fog at times.

4TS&W
07-19-2009, 18:45
Wow, what an opportune thread.. I may also be moving to Tampa in the near future..

LMBFlorida
08-01-2009, 17:23
How about some love for those of us that live South of the Skyway Bridge :wavey: Bradenton, Ellenton, Sarasota... Depending on where you will be working the commute may not be that bad.

As far as a bike, I had bikes when I lived in Houston and rode to my downtown office regularly. Moved here 5 yrs ago and after a few years gave up on riding. Too many blue hairs and tourists. I think we kill at least one biker a week in the Bradenton - Sarasota area.

Post more specifics on where you will be working and you will get more suggestions.

FLAHOTROD
08-01-2009, 19:21
I agree with most posts. I went to USF in late 80's. Really liked Tampa area for a big city. It has a lot to offer without some of the issues that go along with most big cities. I would move there again if I had to relocate to a big city.

The first factor really should be where you will work. If in downtown Tampa, good luck. Traffic will be a daily issue for you. If on the west side, then maybe something in St Pete area will be OK, but traffic can be a real nightmare as the only way back and forth is over a few bridges that regularly have traffic jams. St Pete has its own traffic problems, too.

If in the east area, there are more choices, but probably fewer main roads. Those few main roads also suffer from traffic problems. North and northeast of Tampa are growing but not as heavily congested as central & south Tampa.

Look at a map and see how Tampa is blocked by water on the south and western sides. Original growth started there (along the bay) and has grown to the east and the north over the years.

Best case scenario would be for your work to be on the outskirts of town and you live near your work. You will still be close to anything you want to do in Tampa.

Last I checked, rent and cost of living expenses were still less than most other places.

djegators
08-01-2009, 19:52
I am a Tampa lifer...if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask me, or you can pm me as well.

FLAHOTROD
08-04-2009, 12:53
DJEGATORS: Your name reminded me of 'DJ's Raw Bar'. Do you remember it? I used to love to go there to eat.

djegators
08-04-2009, 15:39
DJEGATORS: Your name reminded me of 'DJ's Raw Bar'. Do you remember it? I used to love to go there to eat.

Yup, sure do. How are things in G'ville? Lived there in early 90's while going to school.

FLAHOTROD
08-06-2009, 16:51
I did the whole school/home thing backwards. I went to school in Tampa and now live in Gainesville.

It's getting bigger and busier, but still a nice place to live. Naturally, the further you are from the university, the better it is. We have no interest in living near all the crap that goes along with university life, but it is nice being close enough to go when we want/need to.

G31
08-12-2009, 12:28
20 yrs of living and working in the Tampa area here.

I'd stay out of St. Pete, unless you really like it for some reason. I was with SPPD for a while and would never live anywhere near there. If you feel like living there, stay in the NE part as far from downtown as you can.

Only places I ever really cared for are north of SR60, east of US 19, and west of Dale Mabry Hwy. (Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, north Pinellas County, Citrus Park, Carrollwood, etc.) New Tampa, Hyde Park, Davis Island, and Westchase are really nice, but expensive, and most new areas have strict deed restrictions and HOA fees.

Avoid:
Tampa/Hillsborough:
-50% of Temple Terrace
-USF's Tampa campus area (worst between Fowler Ave, Busch blvd, 50th St, and I-275)
-anything along I-275 route from Bearss Ave in Tampa to 54th Ave S in St. Pete
-Town N Country
-East Tampa, but NOT Brandon
-Sulphur Springs and surrounding areas
-Ybor area
-many more areas of downtown Tampa, but not all. You'll be able to tell when driving through.
-anything close to Nebraska Ave (aka "suitcase city")

S. Pinellas:
-Gulfport
-75% of St. Petersburg city limit

N. Pinellas:
-anything near downtown Clearwater (beyond Missouri Ave)
-area between Drew St and SR60, west of Keene Rd in Clearwater
-area around Pinellas County Sheriff's Office HQ in Largo

Much of the rest of the areas to avoid are industrial and/or low income, not that I'm putting down people in these areas by any means, but many do not want to relocate into these areas.

It looks like a lot on this list, but it really isn't. There are a lot of cities and county boundaries in the area, and its hard to keep up with it sometimes. Pinellas County alone has 24 municipalities within its small 280 sq. mi. boundary.

FLAHOTROD
08-12-2009, 18:41
All around good advice, G31.

South Fla
08-12-2009, 19:54
N. Pinellas:
-area around Pinellas County Sheriff's Office HQ in Largo

Maderia Beach here.....

What is wrong with the area around the SO? Not arguing, just inquiring to see if you knew something I didn't. Largo Mall is there and *I've* never heard anything bad about that part of the county. Lehlman, and The SouthSide is another story.

throwitback
08-15-2009, 11:41
I've lived in Old Northeast, downtown St. Pete, Largo (near the SO), and currently reside in Madeira Beach. Me being a single guy I loved downtown and Mad Beach the most but for a married guy i'd say Old NE or a neighborhood like St. Paul\Eulcid are the way to go. Like almost any urban area in FL, no matter where you live, you and your wife just use common sense and you will both be fine.

Chris
G23, G38

throwitback
08-15-2009, 11:43
I've lived in Old Northeast, downtown St. Pete, Largo (near the SO), and currently reside in Madeira Beach. Me being a single guy I loved downtown and Mad Beach the most but for a married guy i'd say Old NE or a neighborhood like St. Paul\Eulcid are the way to go. Like almost any urban area in FL, no matter where you live, you and your wife just use common sense and you will both be fine.

Chris
G23, G38

FLAHOTROD
08-15-2009, 12:11
It always seemed to me that traffic was a lot worse in Pinellas County than it was in Hillsborough.

G31
08-18-2009, 21:09
The area around the SO, mostly the neighborhoods west of it, have had a good number of drug issues, as was told to me by a patrol deputy I know. Personally, I have not worked the area, but trust the information.

One thing about the bay area that holds true more than in other places is crime knows no bounds. People spill out of "the hood" into good neighborhoods to commit a variety of crimes, knowing people in these areas let their guard down easier. I've had the displeasure of drawing my pistol more than once in some good areas.

iiibdsiil
08-18-2009, 23:23
I live in the nice condos in the Ybor. I LOVE it here, and many units are available for rent. I'm not sure what you are looking to spend, as these are typically a little more than most places rent wise. No traffic for anywhere in the immediate area, from here to downtown, as long as you stay off the highway.

It all depends on where you need to travel to though. From I-4 to the airport, traffic is horrible 6 days a week. 7-10am, 1130-3, 4-7pm. Saturday isn't much better. I'd also stay away from commuting over the bridges if you are going to be there during rush hour.

The best idea would be to find out where you would be working, and then talk with some of us locals to help give you a better idea of where to stay. There are a lot of back roads that are very good to travel on to avoid the highway, so you don't necessarily have to stay in the area. My commute to Town and Country, 10 miles, is much quicker on the back roads than the highway most of the time.

South Fla
08-18-2009, 23:30
The area around the SO, mostly the neighborhoods west of it, have had a good number of drug issues, as was told to me by a patrol deputy I know. Personally, I have not worked the area, but trust the information.

That area that is west of 113th Street and north of Ulmerton Rd. near Ridgecrest Park is not quite a "hood" yet. But it is getting there.

Lots of poor and white trash there.