Tenn. law advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tenn. law advice

gatorider
07-10-2009, 09:54
I am a Florida resident with a concealed weapons license. I do carry a handgun. I'm traveling to Tennessee next week to the Appalachian Fairgrounds in Eastern Tennessee. It is the BMW motorcycle rally. 10,000 people expected.
Does Tennessee law allow me to carry a concealed weapon on this fairgrounds? If not, can I carry my handgun unloaded?

why
07-10-2009, 11:00
I'm not a lawyer + not familiar with the fairgrounds, but here's what I think:
- you may NOT carry it unloaded except in a situation it is legal to carry loaded as well;
- you may carry on the fairgrounds UNLESS they have posted a 'do not carry' sign prominently at entrances to the fairgrounds. a simple red slash thru a pistol sign is NOT a legal posting (tho debating it with a cop isnt something you ever want to do imo)
-as of 7/14 you may carry in restaurants (not bars contrary to what the media sez) unless they post a sign as above. you may NOT consume ANY alcohol while carrying.
-you may not carry in a park until 9/1, and then may not carry in any local park that has a local ordnance against it.
-you may carry openly anywhere you can legally carry concealed, tho i think it isnt wise. jmo

If it is properly posted at the fairgrounds entrances, just stow it in your locked luggage and you should be fine. Personally, many/most cops i know are Dont Ask Dont Tell with good citizens, but you never know which cop you may draw.

Hope you have a great trip.

gatorider
07-11-2009, 06:24
Thank You why, much appreciated