Help with camper holding tanks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with camper holding tanks

.45 guy
07-12-2009, 09:58
We picked up our first trailor. An 04, 32' Kestone. Any suggestions on chemicals for flushing out the tanks? Is there anything I should use to maintain the blackwater or grey water tanks?

vafish
07-13-2009, 07:03
I don't use anything in my tanks.

When we're done camping for the weekend I dump the tanks, then flush them with water and dump again.

Just don't leave your dump valve open when you are staying in a camp site with full hook ups. They need the rush of water to clean them out good. If you leave the dump valve open the solids sit on the bottom of your tank and the liquids drain out. Makes a real mess in your tank.

hagar
07-13-2009, 10:01
Twice a year I would put a little bleach in my tanks, and flush them till empty. Then add fresh water again.

I flush out my toilet with a garden hose on full power.

.45 guy
07-13-2009, 22:16
Thanks guys.

vafish
07-15-2009, 08:08
One other thing,

I just noticed you said 04 trailer, so I'm guessing it was used by someone else.

In that case, shut off the water, use a bright flashlight and open the flush valve on the toilet so you can look down into the tank. If you have a lot of solids in there, or if the tank level gauge is reading Full all the time try this.

Dump a couple of bags of ice in the tank, then fill it about 1/4 full with water. Drive around in stop and go traffic for 20-30 minutes, then go dump your tank at a dump station. The ice bouncing around inside will knock the dried crud off the interior of the tank and help break up the solids.

.45 guy
07-15-2009, 11:19
Good tip. I was also reading that water softner will help break up stuff. It is used we havn't had it out yet. I'll check it like you said. Thanks

HandyMan Hugh
07-15-2009, 15:01
A lot depends on the size and shape of your waste tanks. In most travel trailers/fifth wheels, the tanks are rectangular, and the toilet has an inlet directly into the tank. This is a good thing. This allows you to stick a flush stick/wand directly into the tank. There are some wands on the market that have a rotary spray head on the business end. This will provide a high pressure rotary spray pattern to the sides and bottom of the tank. This will go a long way toward loosening any solids that are in the tank. Use it freely. Use it each time you leave a campground. You can also use the wand to fill the toilet bowl and then drop a solid column of water into the tank quickly. This will also help loosen any stuck solids.

First drain and flush the Black Water tank first, then make sure the drain hose is empty, next drain the gray water tank. This will help to flush any loose solids out of the drain hose. Then disconnect at the valve end of the and drain hose and walk any more water out of it. Now you can stow the hose and fittings, and store the flush wand inside the drain hose.

Tank treatments are good for extended stays. They help to control odors and help to break up (digest) the solids in the black tank. A little treatment in the gray tank is a help in odor control there too. Some of the treatment chemicals will also help to keep tank level senors de-greased as well.

Be sure to use Toilet Paper that is approved for use in septic systems and campers. This tissue is specially made to dissolve and fragment quickly, so that drain valves and lines don't get blocked.

Have fun, enjoy your new trailer. HM H

.45 guy
07-15-2009, 22:00
Great advice. We have several trips planned.