Question to the Floridians regarding the CCW class. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question to the Floridians regarding the CCW class.

U-phorik407
07-14-2009, 10:47
Hey all,

Hoping I can get some questions answered from those who have taken the class. I am going to be taking the class relatively soon, but I want to know basically what to expect, and what should I bring, I've been to the range about 5 or 6 times now, however I have only been to the range once with my Glock, I'm still getting used to it from my Taurus. Basically I guess I want to know, what should I be expected to perform when I qualify, and do I need to purchase a Holster prior to taking the class. My plans are to purchase a IWB holster, but I've heard from other folks not in the FL. CC class that their instructors required OWB when using a Glock, Should I purchase an OWB for the class? I think those are my basic questions. Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Oldskoolfan
07-14-2009, 13:22
You should call your instructor. They can tell you what they require.

gatorider
07-14-2009, 13:26
When I took the class back in January, No one was carrying in any type of holster. The instructor was the only person in the class with a weapon. Those of us bringing our own guns kept them locked in our autos. When we all went to the range, those of us using our own guns carried them in their cases or a shoulder/gym bag of some type. Being in a firearms class does not constitute being allowed to carry in any form. You're still unlicensed, and have to obey the law as such.

U-phorik407
07-14-2009, 13:32
Thanks Gatorider, I understand being unlicensed, I just did not know if a holster was required for drawing or not. I'll give them a call just to be 100% certain. Thanks.

LurkMastR
07-14-2009, 18:41
As I understand it, there is no legal requirement for you to draw from a holster to qualify for your training certificate. When I took a CWL class a couple of years ago, the way it was explained was that you had to demonstrate a "proficiency" with the firearm, but it was pretty much left up to the instructor to determine what that meant. You should check with your instructor, but you may only be required to show that you can load the gun and pull the trigger.

njl
07-14-2009, 20:37
Talk to the instructor. It all depends on the sort of class you're taking. A basic firearms safety class to satisfy the state's requirements for getting a carry permit won't require any holster.

If you're taking a more serious class that actually includes some "training", you may need a holster (and a bunch of ammo).

luscioman
07-15-2009, 08:22
I am an instructor now and I assume the class is probably the NRA basic pistol class. It will teach you basic marksmanship and safe handeling. You will also get a CCW packet that has the FL Statutes on carrying. Talk to the instructor about what you need but you should not need a holster for the class.

nbk9fmr
07-15-2009, 08:54
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccooperke%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well the class in Florida is a "joke" What we had to do is listen for 3 hours on the doís and doníts on CC and shoot one shot down range, its scary that anyone with little to no experiences can get a licenses to carry.
<o:p> </o:p>
Please do not take this the wrong way but there were 2 60-70 year old ladies in the class that could not even hold a small 32 without shaking and the state of <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state> will issue them a licenses.

I do not want to be within a 2 mile area if they have to pull and shoot. I think if you allow them to carry a gun they need more training than just 3 hours in a class room.

Jon_R
07-16-2009, 19:58
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccooperke%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well the class in Florida is a "joke" What we had to do is listen for 3 hours on the doís and doníts on CC and shoot one shot down range, its scary that anyone with little to no experiences can get a licenses to carry.
Please do not take this the wrong way but there were 2 60-70 year old ladies in the class that could not even hold a small 32 without shaking and the state of <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state> will issue them a licenses.

I do not want to be within a 2 mile area if they have to pull and shoot. I think if you allow them to carry a gun they need more training than just 3 hours in a class room.

My co-worker was talking to me about how surprised she was at the gun show with all these people women and men buying these little .22 and .25 caliber carry guns. I told her if they are not going to practice some it is probably a decent choice for themselves and the general public (innocent bystanders). It is just a tool. Buying a hammer does not make you a carpenter or improve you ability to use the hammer just by mere possession of it.

U-phorik407
07-17-2009, 07:03
Maybe they were picking up the small calibers because ammo's so darn expensive. lol Who knows, I figure I'm going to call my local range this week and figure it all out for the CC class and schedule to take it, no time like the present especially with the backlog in application processing.:crying:

BTW, Thanks for all the responses, it's appreciated!

glockpacker
07-18-2009, 07:55
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccooperke%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well the class in Florida is a "joke" What we had to do is listen for 3 hours on the doís and doníts on CC and shoot one shot down range, its scary that anyone with little to no experiences can get a licenses to carry.

"THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

I can't find any requirement for training in that right.

rvrctyrngr
07-18-2009, 20:54

What glockpacker said.

Many states that issue CC licenses/permits require NO training, and the body count isn't exactly mounting.

Do I think folks who choose to carry a firearm should be trained? Absolutely. Do I think it ought to be .gov mandated? Absolutely not.

U-phorik407
07-19-2009, 09:02
I agree with you guys, but I'd like to go through the necessary training and paperwork to be sure I don't get in any trouble down the road. lol, thanks for all your help everyone, I'm going to call them on Monday to see what's necessary to set up a day for the class, I want to take it and get it over with especially with the wait times of over the legal 90 days... :shocked:

neonhomer
07-19-2009, 19:57
When I took my class, it was a split day. 2 hours in class, and 2 hours on the range. In class we went over the basics of handling a gun, its parts and functions.

On the range, we had to fire 10 shots. First 5 were single shot (had to load a single round into the magazine/cylinder each time). Second 5 were at once (load 5 rounds into magazine/cylinder). IIRC, the spec is 10" group at 7 yrds. Our instructor was doing 9" groups at 7 yrds.

After that was said and done, we got our certificates.

Then comes the fun part... you get to wait 120 days for a license that is supposed to take 90 days from door to door.

U-phorik407
07-23-2009, 18:59
LOL Yes, less than thrilled about the 120 day wait... but I'll be happy to get the class over and done with. I'm going to take the class on the 1st. Just down the road from my house which is nice, I'm excited! Thanks for the help everyone!

rvrctyrngr
07-24-2009, 05:15
Have fun with the class, Matt, and good luck with the application. :thumbsup:

U-phorik407
07-24-2009, 07:52
Have fun with the class, Matt, and good luck with the application. :thumbsup:

Thanks, how bad is the application? I'm assuming its quite long considering the discussions of problems had by others.

nbk9fmr
07-25-2009, 08:45

WOW cant believe you went there, I understand what you have quoted but you can stand next the guy I was standing by at the range that fired one shot and then looked down the barrel of the gun and the pointed down range again and fired another shot. I am not saying you must attend a 40 hour training only do something more than fire one shot and hand the gun back to the instructor. You learn nothing in the training classes because they are not saying the same thing in every class there is no book that is handed out, there is not instructions on handling the firearm. I have been to 2 class (first one my class and the second on I sat in with a friend) and both taught different.

nbk9fmr
07-25-2009, 08:48
What glockpacker said.

Many states that issue CC licenses/permits require NO training, and the body count isn't exactly mounting.

Do I think folks who choose to carry a firearm should be trained? Absolutely. Do I think it ought to be .gov mandated? Absolutely not.

So with that said the gov. should not mandate training for driving a car too. Just attend this 3 hour class on the laws and here is your licenses, try not to kill anyone.

njl
07-25-2009, 08:51
For better or worse, the Bill of Rights covers "Arms", but does not mention cars.

rvrctyrngr
07-25-2009, 10:42
So with that said the gov. should not mandate training for driving a car too. Just attend this 3 hour class on the laws and here is your licenses, try not to kill anyone.

What njl said. Driving is not a right. Straw-man argument.

Your previous post makes my point. IF the .gov is going to require 'training' then it should be a standard, qualifying course. Not just some yahoo's 2hr version of the NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol course.

Here's something scary for ya...I obtained both my original county permit in 1982 and my initial State license in 1987, both without any .gov mandated 'training'.

Have I had training? You bet. A lot....both in firearms use and their legal applications. All of it because I sought it out, due to a sense of Personal Responsibility (remember when folks used to have that?), not because some nanny-state committee in TallyTown thought I needed to.

nbk9fmr
07-25-2009, 11:32
What njl said. Driving is not a right. Straw-man argument.

Your previous post makes my point. IF the .gov is going to require 'training' then it should be a standard, qualifying course. Not just some yahoo's 2hr version of the NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol course.

Here's something scary for ya...I obtained both my original county permit in 1982 and my initial State license in 1987, both without any .gov mandated 'training'.

Have I had training? You bet. A lot....both in firearms use and their legal applications. All of it because I sought it out, due to a sense of Personal Responsibility (remember when folks used to have that?), not because some nanny-state committee in TallyTown thought I needed to.

Well I think we all agree and your statement hit the nail on the head " Not just some yahoo's 2hr version of the NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol course."

people need training, not just a 2 hr class, I still think the gov should push for better training but that's my opinion. and yes I know( opinions are like ButtHoles everyone has one) :rofl:

U-phorik407
08-02-2009, 12:24
I took the class on Saturday, it went very well, very good class, very informative, I'll be mailing my paperwork tomorrow... then the wait begins, my only concern is they did it with the ink not the live scan, any idea how that will hinder/slow down the process?

Evela
08-28-2009, 09:50
The class I attended (Bass Pro) was a total joke, this was just a diploma mill. The range experience was meaningless, the instructor even bypassed the "final exam" - simply said "I'm sure you all understand this, just come up and get your certificate.

What scares me are the bozos who will now be carrying with almost no experience or training. I'm glad I got my CCW just to protect myself against these low pants idiots.

To me CCW is an honor and should mean something other than "I paid my $45". For the slantheads who are quoting the 2nd amendment as an excuse for competency, I'd suggest moving to Arizona...

JETHRO38
08-28-2009, 11:58
<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId><META content="Microsoft Word 11" name=Generator><META content="Microsoft Word 11" name=Originator><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccooperke%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:smarttagtype name="State" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></OBJECT> <STYLE> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </STYLE><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>Well the class in Florida is a "joke" What we had to do is listen for 3 hours on the doís and doníts on CC and shoot one shot down range, its scary that anyone with little to no experiences can get a licenses to carry.
<o:p></o:p>
Please do not take this the wrong way but there were 2 60-70 year old ladies in the class that could not even hold a small 32 without shaking and the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state> will issue them a licenses.

Almost the same situation in my class when I went!:rofl:

Jon_R
08-28-2009, 12:03
An NRA class like Basic Pistol or Defense Inside or Outside the home, etc. Will satisfy the FL CWP requirement and be more beneficial. When someone asks me for advice I ask them if they want something of value or just want to punch the ticket. If they want something of value I recommend an NRA Class. I usually follow it up with an invite to IDPA.

Evela
09-02-2009, 17:35
+1 Jon. NRA and IDPA are excellent suggestions. I carry my CCW with a great deal of pride, and I work constantly on improving my skills, and being safe.

ThrillSeeker
09-09-2009, 21:45
After shooting for years I decided to get my CCW in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> this year. I attended a class by a LEO Firearms Instructor on the weekend. It was 4 hours. 1st hour discuss the law, 1 hour reviewed safety, use and application, followed by 1 1/2 hours shooting, and a 30 minute test. 7 in class, 6 got their certificate and 1 reviewed the materials with the instructor and spent another 30 minutes on the range shooting, then left without his certificate. I stayed shooting at the range for about 2 hours afterwards.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My instructor only trains civilians on rare occasions and I was lucky to be able to attend his class. I had talked with several people that took their class at a gun show and they did 2 hours including shooting in a box room, five rounds of fake bullets.<o:p></o:p>
They paid $140.00 for the full package. I paid $99 for my session plus $10 range fee, 2 boxes of bullets, and still had to pay for my Live-Scans, Photos, and Notary.
I believe while I paid more I got the better deal.<o:p></o:p>

glockpacker
09-10-2009, 11:04
"I still think the gov should push for better training but that's my opinion."

I'm sorry you feel the government should push for more control over us for ANYTHING.

FlaChef
09-11-2009, 03:15

I'm sorry you feel the government should push for more control over us for ANYTHING.

Go one state north (up to get to the south ;) ) and you'll find GA has no training requirement and the total fees and everything a carry permit is about $50 OTD. Compared to $170 something PLUS the cost of a class.

Yes i do like the idea of the other people out in public besides me packing having to have some kind of training (though I hear stories of how little that is that make me wonder why we bother). But if I was a poor single parent who had to scrape up even that $50 I would appreciate the fact that was all it took. ANY kind of Jim Crow style law leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even when it is with actual good intentions.

Now if we could make the whole class part optional and just have a couple simplified IDPA style stages that you needed to score a minimum on then that i would go for (it would have to be kept dirt cheap).

berto62
09-11-2009, 10:00

I agree with you completely.Less government the better