Dutch Oven [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven

31F20
07-16-2009, 10:57
Howdy Folks!
Just wondering if there are any Dutch Oven lovers in here?
I try to use mine often and love the results. Cool house (cooking outside with charcoal briquettes) and great food.

31F20
08-03-2009, 09:28
Last night I had 10 people over for beer and dutch oven cooking. I had three ovens, the smoker and a the gas grill going. In the 12" Deep I had a large zucchini from the neighbors garden, fresh green beans, vadalia onion and canned corn to make a veggi stew. In the 12" there was a "Dump Cobbler" made with peaches and pineapple with yellow cake mix. The 10" oven had Bushes beans heating in it. I smoked chicken thighs and bratwurst useing mesquite chuncks and finished them on the gas grill to bring them up to temp. There was only enough left over to make my lunch for today. :whistling:

The AmBASSaDEER
08-03-2009, 09:39
I love cooking in my dutch ovens.

I just got into it last year.

I went to a D.O.G. a couple months ago here in Ga. http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Good Eat'n!!!

cowboywannabe
08-03-2009, 09:55
my wife hates it when i use the dutch oven.....LOL

31F20
08-05-2009, 08:53
OK get this...it is actually called "Dump Cobbler" in LOVIN DUTCH OVENS cookbook.

I have a good recipe for DO cobbler to share. I tried this out on about 10 friends this past weekend, and they are still 'friends'.

2 29 oz can peaches sliced w/ juice
1 cup crushed pineapple w/ juice
1 pkg instant tapioca pudding mix
1/4 pound butter sliced
1 pkg yellow or white cake mix

In foil lined 12" DO; add fruit and tapioca, add cake mix, stir, top with pads of butter. Bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

It turned out fairly well. Might try to maybe drain one can of the peaches to see how less liquid would work.

Give it a try and post results.

Anybody else have any recipes to share?
:wavey:
Thanks

31F20
08-05-2009, 09:02
AmBASSaDEER,
I saw your pictures. That looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish there were DOG here in CO. Just haven't been able to find any to go to. I'm practicing up though!

The AmBASSaDEER
08-11-2009, 13:30
AmBASSaDEER,
I saw your pictures. That looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish there were DOG here in CO. Just haven't been able to find any to go to. I'm practicing up though!
We had a good time! I made a chicken/ potatoe dish and a cherry cobbler.

Im working on a special breakfast dish now. with the "crust" being pancake batter.

Good luck finding a DOG event in CO. Im sure there has to be one around

31F20
09-09-2009, 06:07
Another camp cooking adventure success.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab80/corban_m/DSC00419.jpg

The AmBASSaDEER
09-09-2009, 07:15
Another camp cooking adventure success.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab80/corban_m/DSC00419.jpg
Whatcha got cookin?

31F20
09-09-2009, 08:35
Well,
In the 12 deep we got us a mess of "Mile High Stew"
aka, "The best thing you ever had from a Dutch Oven"
and in the 12 we had a peach cobbler. Man it was good. I find that timing is the key. You dont want a bunch of hungry kids running around camp. They threaten to drop your tent when your sleepin'.

All in all it was a good time. Dont worry, Ill get those little buggers back ifn they do mess with me. Besides, they dont know it yet, but the person you dont want to mess with is the cook. :cool:

The AmBASSaDEER
09-09-2009, 14:08
Well,
In the 12 deep we got us a mess of "Mile High Stew"
aka, "The best thing you ever had from a Dutch Oven"
and in the 12 we had a peach cobbler. Man it was good. I find that timing is the key. You dont want a bunch of hungry kids running around camp. They threaten to drop your tent when your sleepin'.

All in all it was a good time. Dont worry, Ill get those little buggers back ifn they do mess with me. Besides, they dont know it yet, but the person you dont want to mess with is the cook. :cool:
I hear that!!

You gonna post a recipe of that "Mile High Stew"????

alphacat
09-09-2009, 14:14
I don't have a dutch oven but I've always wanted to learn how to cook in one.
I used to watch Cee Dub on TV when it was on and thought it would be fun to learn how to cook in one.
http://www.ceedubs.com/

The AmBASSaDEER
09-09-2009, 14:21
I used to watch Cee Dub on TV when it was on and thought it would be fun to learn how to cook in one.
Its not very hard, just pratice, more coals on top than bottom.

alphacat
09-09-2009, 14:30
Its not very hard, just pratice, more coals on top than bottom.

I'll have to look into buy one. A small one for cooking for one....:cool:

glock30user
09-09-2009, 14:33
Dutch oven...? oh of course; farting in bed then holding your wife's head under the blanket. I love it, but the mrs. feels different

31F20
09-10-2009, 06:53
From memory "MILE HIGH STEW" aka 'The best thing you ever had from a DO'

1.5 lbs Ground Beef
1.5 lbs Link pre-cooked sausage cut into 1" pieces
2 quarts Diced potatoes lightly drained
1 quart chopped carrots
1 large onion chopped
1 lbs sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

12" Deep DO @ 325 degrees Brown ground beef in DO. (bottom heat only) Add all ingredients except cheese and sausage (keep diced potatoes under water until ready to use) stir to coat veggies. (Now add top coals) Cook till veggies are done. Do not stir after this point. Add sausage and cheese. Cook till cheese is melted and sausage is warm. Enjoy by the heaping bowl.

I usually do all the prep work at home and bring everything in gallon zip lock bags in the cooler. It saves alot of time, especially when you have to get the fire going first.

Feel free to add any of your favorite ingredients like Jalapenos ect.
:eat:
I usually use the camp fire to cook when camping. At home I use charcoal.

31F20
09-10-2009, 07:01

I got kinda a cheatin' start in the Boy Scouts in San Antonio when I was a kid. But later in my adult life I had to relearn how to use a DO. I started by reading alot. I have about five books and cookbooks focusing on DO cooking. Then its all about practice. It is an art. That being said, look at wal-mart for a 12 inch Lodge. Here they go for about $48. The 12" 6 quart is the standard size and most recipes you find are for this oven. My first oven you can see in the Cast Iron thread, was a 10" Deep oven from OLD MOUNTAIN. It was about $40. A good book to get you started is called Lovin Dutch Ovens by Joan Larson http://www.amazon.com/Lovin-Dutch-Ovens-Cook-Enthusiast/dp/1880415038

Depending on where you live you might be able to find a Dutch Oven Gathering (DOG). I would highly recommend you find one and attend. There you will find experts willing to show you how. http://www.idos.com/

alphacat
09-10-2009, 07:09
I got kinda a cheatin' start in the Boy Scouts in San Antonio when I was a kid. But later in my adult life I had to relearn how to use a DO. I started by reading alot. I have about five books and cookbooks focusing on DO cooking. Then its all about practice. It is an art. That being said, look at wal-mart for a 12 inch Lodge. Here they go for about $48. The 12" 6 quart is the standard size and most recipes you find are for this oven. My first oven you can see in the Cast Iron thread, was a 10" Deep oven from OLD MOUNTAIN. It was about $40. A good book to get you started is called Lovin Dutch Ovens by Joan Larson http://www.amazon.com/Lovin-Dutch-Ovens-Cook-Enthusiast/dp/1880415038

Thanks, Next time I go to Walmart I think I'll pick up one. I'll check out that book.

The AmBASSaDEER
09-10-2009, 09:46
From memory "MILE HIGH STEW" aka 'The best thing you ever had from a DO'

1.5 lbs Ground Beef
1.5 lbs Link pre-cooked sausage cut into 1" pieces
2 quarts Diced potatoes lightly drained
1 quart chopped carrots
1 large onion chopped
1 lbs sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

12" Deep DO @ 325 degrees Brown ground beef in DO. (bottom heat only) Add all ingredients except cheese and sausage (keep diced potatoes under water until ready to use) stir to coat veggies. (Now add top coals) Cook till veggies are done. Do not stir after this point. Add sausage and cheese. Cook till cheese is melted and sausage is warm. Enjoy by the heaping bowl.

I usually do all the prep work at home and bring everything in gallon zip lock bags in the cooler. It saves alot of time, especially when you have to get the fire going first.

Feel free to add any of your favorite ingredients like Jalapenos ect.
:eat:
I usually use the camp fire to cook when camping. At home I use charcoal.
sounds good!

I dont think I have ever had anything bad outta a DO.

As far as the prep work, your right on! anything you can do at home will make for more fun/less to do, when your out there cooking.

31F20
09-11-2009, 13:22
LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!!!
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab80/corban_m/DSC00399.jpg
Just a game of fetch going on in the background. As you were.....http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab80/corban_m/DSC00394.jpg

major
10-08-2009, 15:57
Yeah, I use my dutch oven a lot. This summer I went by myself from Calgary all the way up to the Yukon, camping and cooking on the way. I took my 8" Lodge, which was enough for me. Here are a couple of pics of the D.O. in use: nothing fancy, just some onions, peppers, potatoes, and sausage. But as you all know, nothing beats it when you are two hundred miles from the nearest restaurant! Mmmmmm...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/dwightp/IMG_0942.jpg
cooking dinner, with other coals heating just in case I need them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/dwightp/IMG_0959.jpg
Aaahhhh, the finished product!

alphacat
10-08-2009, 16:09
Yeah, I use my dutch oven a lot. This summer I went by myself from Calgary all the way up to the Yukon, camping and cooking on the way. I took my 8" Lodge, which was enough for me. Here are a couple of pics of the D.O. in use: nothing fancy, just some onions, peppers, potatoes, and sausage. But as you all know, nothing beats it when you are two hundred miles from the nearest restaurant! Mmmmmm...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/dwightp/IMG_0959.jpg
Aaahhhh, the finished product!

Mmmm, that looks good...:eat:

Is the 8" oven you're using a 2qt size?

major
10-08-2009, 20:03
yeah, 2 quart, I believe is correct.

alphacat
10-08-2009, 20:08
yeah, 2 quart, I believe is correct.

That's a nice looking size for cooking for one.. That will be the size I'll buy for myself, thanks.

31F20
10-12-2009, 12:42
Lookin' good Major! I like the use of available terrain features. Alphacat, if you can find a Sportmans Warehouse they carry smaller sized DO.

alphacat
10-12-2009, 12:46
Lookin' good Major! I like the use of available terrain features. Alphacat, if you can find a Sportmans Warehouse they carry smaller sized DO.

thanks I'll check them out..

major
10-13-2009, 18:54
Lookin' good Major! I like the use of available terrain features.

Yeah, I'm too old to have to bend over all the way to the ground. Nothing like finding a nice big rock a couple of feet high to cook on!!

31F20
11-05-2009, 08:47
I cant wait to break out the DO's during this nice break in the weather this weekend!!!
WAHOOOOOOOO!

The AmBASSaDEER
03-22-2010, 10:36
Have a D.O.G coming up in May 22!! I praticed my "apple dumpling" recipe yesterday...mmmmmm

31F20
03-23-2010, 12:43
Nice! There are a few DOGs happening around here soon:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5Ctemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5Ctemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5Ctemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1750150258; mso-list-template-ids:868275496;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Symbol;} @list l0:level2 {mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Symbol;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]-->

Thu - Sat Mar 18-20 International Dutch Oven Society's World Championship Cook-Off http://forums.idos.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=312 <o:p></o:p>
Fri - Sat Apr 9-10 IDOS Spring Convention http://forums.idos.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=336 <o:p></o:p>
Sat 15 May Silt, CO Silt Historical Society (Chautaqua Day, Dutch Oven Cooking Demo) <o:p></o:p>
Sat 29 May Firestone, CO Longs Peak Chapter IDOS DOG (FYI, also Frederick High School Graduation Day) <o:p></o:p>
Sat 19 Jun Falcon CO Senior Citizens of Falcon Colorado (Dutch Oven Cooking Demo) <o:p></o:p>
Sat 31 Jul Firestone, CO Longs Peak Chapter IDOS DOG <o:p></o:p>
Sat 30 Oct Firestone, CO Longs Peak Chapter IDOS DOG <o:p></o:p>
TBD Sportsman's Warehouse Dutch Oven Cooking Demo <o:p></o:p>

Good luck on your Apple Dumplings! :cool:

31F20
03-23-2010, 12:47
I recently bought a Lodge 5qt stove top DO.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ueike4w5WjLKmM:http://www.castironcookware.com/lodge-dutch-oven-bail.jpg(no legs)

Its nice to be able to "practice" when its -16 outside. :wavey:

The AmBASSaDEER
03-24-2010, 08:52
I recently bought a Lodge 5qt stove top DO.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ueike4w5WjLKmM:http://www.castironcookware.com/lodge-dutch-oven-bail.jpg(no legs)

Its nice to be able to "practice" when its -16 outside. :wavey:
-16:faint:

I have thought about getting one for the stove top too. Gonna have to do it.

31F20
03-24-2010, 11:24
-16:faint:

I have thought about getting one for the stove top too. Gonna have to do it.

Well, if you are fortunate enough to have a gas range you can still use your camp ovens on the stove top. The legs will slip through the holes and hold your oven still. Same goes with any gas/electric oven. The legs just rest in between the wire rack. But I find it nice to have a non-enamel coated legless DO for use indoors. Plus it has a self basting domed lid. It is just nice to see chili con carne bubbling in a black pot. :upeyes:

The AmBASSaDEER
03-24-2010, 11:32
Well, if you are fortunate enough to have a gas range you can still use your camp ovens on the stove top. The legs will slip through the holes and hold your oven still. Same goes with any gas/electric oven. The legs just rest in between the wire rack. But I find it nice to have a non-enamel coated legless DO for use indoors. Plus it has a self basting domed lid. It is just nice to see chili con carne bubbling in a black pot. :upeyes:
I have a stupid electric flat range. Gonna have to go legless.

Might have to fire up the DO this weekend! IF this great weather holds out..

31F20
03-24-2010, 12:24
I have a stupid electric flat range. Gonna have to go legless.

Might have to fire up the DO this weekend! IF this great weather holds out..

I have a glass top electric range. It works, but gas would be alot better IMO. I shoveled 10 inches of wet snow off my truck this morning. I would like to cook outside this weekend as well, but we'll see. I would really like to fire up the smoker! :cool:

The AmBASSaDEER
03-24-2010, 13:04
I have a glass top electric range. It works, but gas would be alot better IMO. I shoveled 10 inches of wet snow off my truck this morning. I would like to cook outside this weekend as well, but we'll see. I would really like to fire up the smoker! :cool:
I ran at lunch, its 70 here:tongueout:

31F20
03-25-2010, 08:36
Awww Yeah! I practiced my Green Chili on the stove top last night! :cool:

The AmBASSaDEER
03-30-2010, 08:11
Awww Yeah! I practiced my Green Chili on the stove top last night! :cool:
pics or it didnt happen!

JK sounds good.

You gonna let us in on the recipe?

31F20
03-30-2010, 11:22
pics or it didnt happen!

JK sounds good.

You gonna let us in on the recipe?

The GF dropped our last digital camera and it has not worked since. I would like to share some pics when I can get a replacement.

From memory, here it goes:

Chili Verde con carne de puerco (Green Chili with Pork)

3 to 4 lb pork shoulder cubed or roasted then cubed or pork stew meat already cut up saves time

1 large onion chopped

1 head Garlic diced

3 to 4 sliced thick bacon chopped

1 can tomatillos (or 4 fresh chopped)

2 cups green chilis diced (1 cup pureed in food processor)

2 jalapeno or 1 serano pepper diced

5 cups chicken stock

2 Tblsp chili powder (or to taste, don't hurt yourself)

2 Tblsp ground cumin (or to taste)

6 Tblsp Flour

salt/pepper

Brown bacon in Dutch Oven until crispy remove and set aside, in drippings brown pork cubes, add onion and cook till almost tender, then add garlic. To that mixture add flour and stir, wait till all flour is absorbed before adding chicken stock. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for at least one hour, more if you can afford the time. Season with salt/pepper to your taste. Serve with flour tortillas, over rice, over burritos, over eggs, you get the idea.

OR

Here (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1748,133191-252195,00.html) is one that is pretty close

HTH :wavey:

The AmBASSaDEER
03-30-2010, 11:24
The GF dropped our last digital camera and it has not worked since. I would like to share some pics when I can get a replacement.

From memory, here it goes:

Chili Verde con carne de puerco (Green Chili with Pork)

3 to 4 lb pork shoulder cubed or roasted then cubed or pork stew meat already cut up saves time

1 large onion chopped

1 head Garlic diced

3 to 4 sliced thick bacon chopped

1 can tomatillos (or 4 fresh chopped)

2 cups green chilis diced (1 cup pureed in food processor)

2 jalapeno or 1 serano pepper diced

5 cups chicken stock

2 Tblsp chili powder (or to taste, don't hurt yourself)

2 Tblsp ground cumin (or to taste)

6 Tblsp Flour

salt/pepper

Brown bacon in Dutch Oven until crispy remove and set aside, in drippings brown pork cubes, add onion and cook till almost tender, then add garlic. To that mixture add flour and stir, wait till all flour is absorbed before adding chicken stock. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for at least one hour, more if you can afford the time. Season with salt/pepper to your taste. Serve with flour tortillas, over rice, over burritos, over eggs, you get the idea.

OR

Here (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1748,133191-252195,00.html) is one that is pretty close

HTH :wavey:mmm mmm mmmh, gonna have to add that to the list!!

31F20
03-30-2010, 11:25
Have you gotten around to the stove top DO?

major
04-06-2010, 06:00
I tried some dutch oven lasagna recently. Sorry, no pics, but it did turn out great and was delicious.

Lasagna -- Dutch Oven

1 pound(s) ground round
1 pound(s) ground pork………….I just used a regular pack of Jimmy Dean sausage
1 large onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jars pasta sauce
1/2 c dry red wine…………used red cooking wine
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 eggs
1 15 ounce Ricotta cheese
1/2 c Parmesan cheese (grated)
1/4 c parsley (chopped)
1 pound(s) mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 package lasagna noodles…………………..JUST right …..make sure you use oven ready
salt and pepper (to taste)………make sure you put enough

Cook ground round, pork, onion, and garlic in skillet until done. Drain excess fat. Stir in prepared pasta sauce, add wine, basil and oregano. In large bowl combine Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and black pepper. Cover bottom of Dutch oven with thin layer of sauce. Arrange uncooked lasagna noodles in bottom. Spoon some of the Ricotta filling over noodles. Cover with a layer of Mozzarella cheese, then another layer of sauce. Keep layering in this fashion until all ingredients are used. Top with remaining sauce, cover and bake for 30 minutes over a low fire. Remove lid and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese and Parmesan mixture -replace lid and allow cheese to melt. Kitchen Directions: Bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour.

My notes:
I tried this and put it into a 12” deep dutch oven….doubt it would have fit in the 10 inch.

Had to put the sauce in two different skillets…..would not have fit in one.
This makes a LOT of lasagna. It fed 5 adults and a child….most who had 2nds and 3rds…..and still had at least 2-3 big servings left over.

Recipe was fine….could leave out the wine if it bothers people…..otherwise, very good……..

The AmBASSaDEER
04-06-2010, 08:45
Sounds tasty Major!