Knife Carry in South Carolina [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife Carry in South Carolina

.357Magnus
07-18-2009, 07:00
I will be traveling to South Carolina and wanted to ask about the knife laws in there. I carry a knife everyday for utility use and from what I can see 2" is the max allowable blade length. Even my Swiss Army Knife has a blade longer than this. What is the practical enforcement of this law? It seems overly restrictive if I can not even bring a pocket knife along. Also, I do not plan to bring a firearm along and was wondering about bringing along a larger folder @ 3"-3.5" and pepper spay, but only if legal to do so. Please advise.
Thanks,
Magnus

BadAndy
07-19-2009, 10:27
If it's in your pocket and you're using to open boxes, mail etc...and not stab people with it, no one here will even question or notice you.

rns-glock37
07-19-2009, 22:45
i think it would be wise if you contacted SLED (state law enforcement division) and ask them directly. noone here will be standing with you in court should the advice you get on this site not be complete. the help and advice you get on this site is top notch but there is just no substitute when seeking the type of information you're asking. too important to take a chance on someone misinterpreting the law.

Rosco P
07-20-2009, 06:19
You have a better chance of getting arrested for not carrying a knife in NC/SC so long as you stay out of Chapel Hill...

Eagle22
07-20-2009, 06:23
You have a better chance of getting arrested for not carrying a knife in NC/SC so long as you stay out of Chapel Hill...

:rofl: oh that is the truth.

I carry a folding knife with about a 3" blade all the time. What is the big deal ?

ranger88
07-27-2009, 16:10
Here in SC it seems to be one of those add on charges instead of a primary offense. As long as you're not breaking any other laws, you should be okay. Last time I checked the law, it was 2" or 2 1/2" for blade length. Could be different now. Even my Leatherman Wave has a longer blade than that!

Chucktown Mako
07-28-2009, 19:21
I may be a little late on this, but I always thought it was 4" concealed. Open carry can be a sword!
I used to carry a 4" one handed folder, but have switched to about a 3" pen knife. I still do carry the 4" occasionally.

Magicmanmb
08-11-2009, 09:18
It's late also but over 2oz of pepper spray is illegal to carry

Thx-1138
08-11-2009, 09:55
I travel through SC a couple of times a year. I bought a cheap, 1 3/4" blade folding knife for just that purpose.

I don't like to disobey the laws, regardless of how infrequently they're enforced.

k3sls
08-17-2009, 19:44
The 2" limitation was repealed last year.

See http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess117_2007-2008/bills/968.htm

Magicmanmb
08-18-2009, 18:06
Make sure you check with any of the cities or towns you will be staying in. Several have passed local ordinances concerning length concealment etc...

k3sls
08-18-2009, 19:16
Make sure you check with any of the cities or towns you will be staying in. Several have passed local ordinances concerning length concealment etc...

While I can't find a cite, I'm reasonably sure state law preempts local ordinance for weapons possession offenses in SC. If not, it would be an enforcement nightmare for LEOs and the courts.

Magicmanmb
08-19-2009, 10:15
While I can't find a cite, I'm reasonably sure state law preempts local ordinance for weapons possession offenses in SC. If not, it would be an enforcement nightmare for LEOs and the courts.

State law does not have a helmet section for motorcycle riders except under age. But that didn't stop Myrtle Beach from enacting it's own law on it.

They got around the length requirement by making it a civil offense instead of a misdemeanor charge. Just like it is legal to sell a switchblade knife but ILLEGAL to carry it except for LEO and FF/EMS. It amounts to an add on charge at officers discretion.
Current city ordinance for Myrtle Beach regarding all weapons they pistol section was preempted by the CCW law.

Sec. 14-101. Discharge of firearms, slingshots or air rifles prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm of any kind or nature or any air rifle or slingshot at any place within the city.
(Code 1980, 9-3-1)

Sec. 14-102. Carrying of certain weapons prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to carry, either concealed or not, any pistol, dirk, slingshot, metal knuckles, razors, numchucks or other deadly weapons used for the infliction of injury to person or property. Upon conviction thereof, besides that penalty as may be imposed by the court, he shall forfeit the weapon to the city.
(Code 1980, 9-3-4)

k3sls
08-19-2009, 15:51
State law does not have a helmet section for motorcycle riders except under age. But that didn't stop Myrtle Beach from enacting it's own law on it.

I believe there are still at least two unresolved state constitutional lawsuits regarding the above, although the courts have permitted the city to continue enforcement by declining to issue TROs. Plus, traffic regulations are an entirely different animal compared to weapons regulations...a bit of an apples/oranges argument.

They got around the length requirement by making it a civil offense instead of a misdemeanor charge. Just like it is legal to sell a switchblade knife but ILLEGAL to carry it except for LEO and FF/EMS. It amounts to an add on charge at officers discretion.
Switchblade and certain automatic blades are also controlled by the Federal government, in that interstate commerce prohibits the sale and transportation of such across state lines. State/local law might allow possession/sale, but it would be unlikely you could purchase such because of transport restrictions. See 18 U.S.C. 1716(g)(2).

Current city ordinance for Myrtle Beach regarding all weapons they pistol section was preempted by the CCW law.

Sec. 14-101. Discharge of firearms, slingshots or air rifles prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm of any kind or nature or any air rifle or slingshot at any place within the city.
(Code 1980, 9-3-1)

As you implied with the CCW regulations, the above would not apply if you were defending yourself while complying with the provisions of SC Title 23 Chap 4. Many municipalities and counties have "no discharge" zones, but there is no limitation on defense of life or property. I should mention...this is where I was confused as relates to the original question. I mistakenly assumed blades are covered by the concealed weapons regulations...they are not!

Sec. 14-102. Carrying of certain weapons prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to carry, either concealed or not, any pistol, dirk, slingshot, metal knuckles, razors, numchucks or other deadly weapons used for the infliction of injury to person or property. Upon conviction thereof, besides that penalty as may be imposed by the court, he shall forfeit the weapon to the city.
(Code 1980, 9-3-4)

Again, reading SC Title 23 Chap 4, a concealed weapons permit holder would be allowed to carry a concealable firearm without being subject to this local ordinance. The places you can't carry are specifically delineated and municipal/county ordinances can not preempt.

It should be noted blades longer than 2" are still prohibited at school locations under SC Title 59 Chap 63 and Title 19 Chap 23.

Magicmanmb
08-20-2009, 08:12
I believe there are still at least two unresolved state constitutional lawsuits regarding the above, although the courts have permitted the city to continue enforcement by declining to issue TROs. Plus, traffic regulations are an entirely different animal compared to weapons regulations...a bit of an apples/oranges argument.

Switchblade and certain automatic blades are also controlled by the Federal government, in that interstate commerce prohibits the sale and transportation of such across state lines. State/local law might allow possession/sale, but it would be unlikely you could purchase such because of transport restrictions. See 18 U.S.C. 1716(g)(2).

As you implied with the CCW regulations, the above would not apply if you were defending yourself while complying with the provisions of SC Title 23 Chap 4. Many municipalities and counties have "no discharge" zones, but there is no limitation on defense of life or property. I should mention...this is where I was confused as relates to the original question. I mistakenly assumed blades are covered by the concealed weapons regulations...they are not!

Again, reading SC Title 23 Chap 4, a concealed weapons permit holder would be allowed to carry a concealable firearm without being subject to this local ordinance. The places you can't carry are specifically delineated and municipal/county ordinances can not preempt.

It should be noted blades longer than 2" are still prohibited at school locations under SC Title 59 Chap 63 and Title 19 Chap 23.

The city and county has a number of infractions and civil codes that the state allows but are prohibited. The home rule allows them to allow such things. N. Myrtle Beach has a permanent ban on ANY outside burning except barbecue and firefighter training. The state controls if out door burning is allowed though. Another example of city codes in violation of state law. The road maintenance surcharge that's been ruled illegal by the State Supreme Court but still shows up on my car tax bill every year.

k9patrol
01-07-2012, 15:32
I have asked several LE co-workers and other LE agents, just to see what they would say. Each one said something totally different than the other.

Some said 3", some said it depends on what town, as to the local laws, and some towns have a no knife law. Simply put they did not know. Also, a lawyer did not know.

The moral of the story is, "Don't trust your soul to no backwoods Southern lawyer".
I just don't carry one, though I would like to carry one. If I carried one it would not be over a 3" blade.

southernshooter
01-12-2012, 06:06
On a similar note: I have asked if "assisted opening" is considered a switchblade and have gotten 10 "yes" answers and 10 "no" answers.

Magicmanmb
01-12-2012, 11:33
On a similar note: I have asked if "assisted opening" is considered a switchblade and have gotten 10 "yes" answers and 10 "no" answers.

Personally I carry a boker & have for 20 + years. As long as you are
not acting like a jerk, waving it around or calling attention to yourself. Most people could care less & are more concerned with there own lives. Before CCW was allowed you would be surprized how many had small carry pieces in there pockets. The attitude was judge by 12 or carry by 6. Again as long as you acted as if you had common sense no one really pushed it for the most part