Sister is in bootcamp, what should I send her? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sister is in bootcamp, what should I send her?

phx223
07-21-2009, 16:50
Ok so I know that I couldn't get much when I went thru Navy boot camp, but that was the navy and seven years ago. What can/should I send my kid sister in bootcamp?

LilCop2002
07-21-2009, 18:57
If it was my sister, I would just send moral support via letters.

DO NOT put anything that would attract attention to her such as your proper rank, flags, or much of anything other than a white envelope, address, and a stamp.

Unless she writes and/or calls with a specific request, let her handle her own with letters to and from home and leave it at that. The amount of room for items sent and personal free time is extremely limited.

Check my Signature for how I know about this...

wrenrj1
07-21-2009, 19:03
NOTHING of substance: Let me recite..

"Dear Sis, hope you are doing well, I am fine. Mom and Dad are fine too. Your other siblings are well too and considering going in to the NAVY as they hear good things from you just like your older relatives that served with the NAVY with distinction, especially your grandfather ADMIRAL________(insert name here) who recently retired.

Respectfully (not love) your brother,

LilCop2002
07-21-2009, 19:05
NOTHING of substance: Let me recite..

"Dear Sis, hope you are doing well, I am fine. Mom and Dad are fine too. Your other siblings are well too and considering going in to the NAVY as they hear good things from you just like your older relatives that served with the NAVY with distinction, especially your grandfather ADMIRAL________(insert name here) who recently retired.

Respectfully (not love) your brother,

That's a sure fire way to get her harassed throughout her time at BMT. I think I might just do it to my sister. :whistling:

Ralff
07-21-2009, 20:13
A guy in my flight got a rubber duck from some of his buddies back home. He had to stand in front of the flight and sing the rubber ducky song.

Candy and other items won't do much good. Letters should be about it. Any pictures will be looked at and probably made fun of by the TIs but as long as they aren't sexual in nature she should get to keep them after they are done with their fun.

MrMurphy
07-22-2009, 07:33
I got a ton of letters from Pilotkitten (then my fiance), she knew better than to send anything else.

One guy, a fitness freak, got a package with a letter from his mom in it (the only reason he was allowed to open it). He retrieved the letter, looked inside, cussed and just got down and started doing pushups. His church college group had loaded it with all sorts of junk food and candy he NEVER ate...

We had the option of him picking 10 guys to eat as much as we could in a few minutes, or tossing all of it and doing something else related to our standing in the squadron competition (can't remember what right now), which is what we ended up doing.

LilCop2002
07-22-2009, 16:58
Guess the OP isn't too interested in us, Mr. Murphy. :wavey:

ravenkeeper98
07-22-2009, 17:33
If it was my sister, I would just send moral support via letters.

DO NOT put anything that would attract attention to her such as your proper rank, flags, or much of anything other than a white envelope, address, and a stamp.

Unless she writes and/or calls with a specific request, let her handle her own with letters to and from home and leave it at that. The amount of room for items sent and personal free time is extremely limited.

Check my Signature for how I know about this...

+1 on that.

Does she have an AFSC yet? (Job)

wrenrj1
07-22-2009, 18:34
I specifically told my parents to NOT send me anything related to my 18th birthday that occurred during Army BCT WAY back in 1981...Times were a bit different (and even worse prior), forget any type of privacy etc. I wonder how many postal regulations the military has broken just to allow D.I.'s to ridicule trainees, but in retrospect, I got thru it...

GeorgiaGlocker
07-28-2009, 15:32
Just letters of encouragement. I enlisted in 1975 and one guy received a box of candy hearts from his mom. He never lived that down. I will always remember this: there are two things you never, ever do in front of your TI. Laugh and cry. Some learned the hard way.

txleapd
07-28-2009, 19:33
Send her a letter with "Happy Birthday!!!" written on the outside of the envelope one one side, and "Squids suck" on the other (assuming it's also the Navy. Just insert whichever branch if not).... :supergrin:

Mongosafari
08-01-2009, 15:38
USAF BMT 1982 Lackland AFB, TX
She doesn't need anything except letters of encouragement. No food, candy, soap etc. Everything is provided or she can get there. It's over in a few weeks.

ravenkeeper98
08-01-2009, 17:29
8 weeks now, little different from when I went through in '90. They even have to carry around an inert M-16 during basic now.

lucksthename
08-01-2009, 19:43
ravenkeeper, I noticed your in sumter SC, Shaw afb. I also am staioned at Shaw. Where do you go to shoot? I compete at Mid Carolina Rifle club, in IDPA and USPSA. also what squadron?

ravenkeeper98
08-02-2009, 09:06
ravenkeeper, I noticed your in sumter SC, Shaw afb. I also am staioned at Shaw. Where do you go to shoot? I compete at Mid Carolina Rifle club, in IDPA and USPSA. also what squadron?

When I get the chance to get away from the family I usually head over to Manchester. 20AMXS

LilCop2002
08-07-2009, 19:25
GUess the OP is gone. Should we just highjack the thread now?

lauren044
08-13-2009, 11:27
Send her only letters of encouragement.....take it from a retired TI.....thats all she needs.......

NeverMore1701
08-13-2009, 14:27
I got letters, pictures, candy, energy bars, snacks, all sorts of stuff. We had 10 minutes per mail call to eat and/or share whatever we wanted, then we tossed the rest. Only the PT fails got any special attention if they ate stuff. That was Army MP OSUT, 2005.

Oh, had my mom send me a towel, too. I purchased an extra of the crappy little towels they issue, sent it to her, and she got a color matched blanket sized super soft towel for me. That thing was heaven, I'd stick it in the dryer when I went in to shower, so it was nice and toasty when I got out. Loved it.

Big Time
08-13-2009, 14:33
Prepaid phone cards,stamps,postcards.:supergrin:

Morris
08-14-2009, 00:36
Hell yeah Lil!

Soo, who remembers the poor schlep that was too stupid not to mow the fire ant hills?

Who remembers the empty bunker at Medina that USED to house a nuke?

Anyone remember the lonely outpost of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children as they attended Mil Dog training?

For Lil cop, where is the LLC (lame, lazy and crazy) squadron these days?

Nurses still as hot in Wilford Hall?

Still yelling out "Nut to butt! Nut to butt!" to the young'uns in chow line?

:)

LilCop2002
08-14-2009, 18:59
Hell yeah Lil!

Soo, who remembers the poor schlep that was too stupid not to mow the fire ant hills? Who mows anymore? Goodwill contracted out...

Who remembers the empty bunker at Medina that USED to house a nuke? I remember hearing about that all the time as a young Trainee as well as a SF Troop...

Anyone remember the lonely outpost of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children as they attended Mil Dog training? They're still here. They actually use the softball field next to my squadron to train them.

For Lil cop, where is the LLC (lame, lazy and crazy) squadron these days? It's only 2 doors down from my building. Makes getting them out of my flight that much easier.

Nurses still as hot in Wilford Hall? I've only been there once, but I damn near broke my neck over a few...:wow:

Still yelling out "Nut to butt! Nut to butt!" to the young'uns in chow line? Nope. We only do that when they're processing through the showers. JK

:)

Bleh...

Flattop67
08-19-2009, 20:25
Hey Guys, I see a couple of you are here at Shaw, good to know.

pal2511
08-20-2009, 12:08
I never got to check out any nurses at wilford hall...at that point in my life it might have been too much eye candy for me to have!

Morris
08-20-2009, 12:54
Ahh, Wilford Hall. Remember it briefly in basic, then was in VAQ across the highway when in CATM school. Nurses wouldn't give me the time of day until they heard I was Guard AND I worked for a major video game player maker (making more coin than a seasoned major).

But quite a few were easy on my eyes. Too bad Wilford Hall was known as a farm club for the officer marriage system. :)

Ralff
08-20-2009, 14:14
Was just there myself. Got myself some eye surgery. Before I was eyesight handicapped, I did enjoy what I saw. :)

phx223
08-28-2009, 00:37
+1 on that.

Does she have an AFSC yet? (Job)

No, no job yet. She was to pick one out this week, but I keep missing her phone calls (I don't remember getting anywhere near the slack she is getting, but I did go to boot 7 years ago for the Navy so its a little different) so I am not sure what she got. I am still a little upset with her for allowing the recruiter allow her to accept a career field she didn't want (well five jobs pertaining to sat comms, when she wanted medical or photo), and then going to bootcamp with just a general field, which means she could end up as a cook or in fuels (and in the Navy those jobs sucked).

Kept with your advice and just sent a bunch of letters, and urged my family to do the same, and she always writes how she is swamped with letters to read every night and how she has all her free time taken up with responses on sundays. She struggled for a while there (has always looked up to me and I have always had a problem with questioning authority, which was a plus in my short career as a nuke, but made life hard whenever I had to deal with the rest of the military), but is doing well now and is getting really ansy about graduation (sadly I will not be able to make it as I have a class I cannot miss during the departing flight times).

Thanks for all your advice, and sorry for not writing back sooner.

Morris
08-28-2009, 02:43
If I found my recruiter today, I'd kick him so hard his momma would feel labor pains again.

I was cajoled with the promise of loadmaster by going in general mechanical. Bwhahahahahahahaha! Riiiiiight. I was slotted for a loadmaster for 10 seconds, then was going to be a jet engine mechanic. Thought that would be cool, A&P license, make coin when I got out. When I got to Lowry AFB (now closed) and they welcomed me to the Armament Loader school, I was a tad peeved.

On paper, in contract or no go.

phx223
08-28-2009, 05:10
If I found my recruiter today, I'd kick him so hard his momma would feel labor pains again.

I was cajoled with the promise of loadmaster by going in general mechanical. Bwhahahahahahahaha! Riiiiiight. I was slotted for a loadmaster for 10 seconds, then was going to be a jet engine mechanic. Thought that would be cool, A&P license, make coin when I got out. When I got to Lowry AFB (now closed) and they welcomed me to the Armament Loader school, I was a tad peeved.

Thats what I told her, I saw too many navy recruits get screwed into ****ty jobs (granted mine was on paper and sucked too, but I wouldn't have done any other job for the Navy) by not having a job specified on contract.

Loadmaster is now just general, at least it was on the general list on military.com, I saw it on the the list of jobs my sister could get (she did well enough on the ASVAB to get any job in the General field) and was convinced that it was a crappy job and pushed her towards medical, ATC and photography, but I guess I was wrong about the loadmaster position.

ravenkeeper98
08-28-2009, 13:38
No, no job yet. She was to pick one out this week, but I keep missing her phone calls (I don't remember getting anywhere near the slack she is getting, but I did go to boot 7 years ago for the Navy so its a little different) so I am not sure what she got. I am still a little upset with her for allowing the recruiter allow her to accept a career field she didn't want (well five jobs pertaining to sat comms, when she wanted medical or photo), and then going to bootcamp with just a general field, which means she could end up as a cook or in fuels (and in the Navy those jobs sucked).

Kept with your advice and just sent a bunch of letters, and urged my family to do the same, and she always writes how she is swamped with letters to read every night and how she has all her free time taken up with responses on sundays. She struggled for a while there (has always looked up to me and I have always had a problem with questioning authority, which was a plus in my short career as a nuke, but made life hard whenever I had to deal with the rest of the military), but is doing well now and is getting really ansy about graduation (sadly I will not be able to make it as I have a class I cannot miss during the departing flight times).

Thanks for all your advice, and sorry for not writing back sooner.

n p Lets all hope she gets a decent job, Medical would be the better route, you are right. But what ever her job is, she will have a chance to try and cross train around the same time she would have to obtain a CJR. She will have to keep that in mind as she learns her job and gets to her first base. Even if her job sucks, keep a positive attitude to keep her record clean.

Too bad not all recruiters are the same. Mine was upfront and told me the real deal, but of course he had no problems meeting his numbers, he turned more away than he put in. You have to admit though, Lowery was a great base, I enjoyed my time there. I did electronic fundies there as well as my set school for F-111 Com, Nav, ECM.

Morris
08-28-2009, 13:53
Ahh, Colfax Avenue . . . :)

GeorgiaGlocker
08-28-2009, 18:50
The first thing I learned when I got to Lackland was that my recruiter lied to me. Imagine that.

ravenkeeper98
08-28-2009, 19:28
Ahh, Colfax Avenue . . . :)

Remember a late night walk back to base on that wonderful road:whistling:

phx223
08-28-2009, 19:45
Hell I would not have minded (is that a word?) if an Air Force recruiter would have lied to me, any job in the AF beats the Navy out of the water...
But I didn't even go over to the AF after the Navy started talking about operating a nuclear power plant...
If only I knew then...

LilCop2002
09-02-2009, 14:26
phx223,

If you don't mind, shoot me a PM. I'd like to get some additional info to see if I may have trained her since she's been here.