Fusion ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fusion ?

Wade-19
07-21-2009, 21:44
I am thinking of having Fusion build me a 9mm. Bobtail commander and I wanted to know what the experts here on GT have to say about Fusion firearms. Also if anyone has one , please post pics.

custom2
07-21-2009, 22:01
I am thinking of having Fusion build me a 9mm. Bobtail commander and I wanted to know what the experts here on GT have to say about Fusion firearms. Also if anyone has one , please post pics.

I'm not an expert and don't own one.........yet. I will tell you this, I'm building a Scout kit very soon with a chain link frontstrap and MSH for a friend. I may just build one for myself as a present for enlisting in the ARMY. I may just decide to build a 4 incher bobtail instead. I can't decide.

Bob Serva was the head honcho over at Dan Wesson before CZ acquired the company. I have talked to him on the phone and through email. Bob is the type of guy that will talk you out of buying one if he feels his gun isn't right for what you want. The thing is, he can do whatever you want so I'm sure that doesn't happen often. He will answer any question honestly and without bias.

The best thing to do is to call him up personally. I see you have one on order so I assume you alreaady have spoken to him.

If you go to 1911forum.com you will see many posts by him. He posts pics of many of the pistols he has finished before he ships them to the buyer in the other 1911 section of that forum.

The best way to look at Fusion is that they are a 1911 parts distributor that will just so happen to build you a hand fitted, semi custom quality 1911 if you want them to. I can't wait to build one for my friend. Building one for myself will be nice too.:cool:

srothman
07-22-2009, 00:36
I don't want to start any arguments, so send me an email, and I will discuss it with you.

bac1023
07-22-2009, 05:36
No expert here either.

However, I'll post a couple pics of my Fusion. For the money I paid, I'm happy with it. I've never had an issue and it shoots accurately.

Its a Commander Elite model in 45ACP. No bobtail on this one.

Also, Bob Serva is a great guy to deal with, as I've spoken to him a couple times on the phone.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2477.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2480.jpg

custom2
07-22-2009, 08:19
I don't want to start any arguments, so send me an email, and I will discuss it with you.

That's no fun.:supergrin: If you have an opinion on them, I would like to hear it, Good or bad, as I am thinking of using them for my next build as well.

bac1023
07-22-2009, 08:22
That's no fun.:supergrin: If you have an opinion on them, I would like to hear it, Good or bad, as I am thinking of using them for my next build as well.

Their parts and kits seem like good quality to me, though I never bought one.

A guy I know from my favorite gun shop, purchased a kit and it seemed like a good base for a build.

Options are endless.

That said, I don't feel there quite up to the standard set by Baer, Brown, and the like.

custom2
07-22-2009, 08:28
I have yet to hear a bad review from anyone that has bought one. I must of have read at least 50 reviews. And these were reviews from the actual owners, not from gun rag authors.

if srothman has something to say about the subject, good or bad, I would like to hear it. I promise I will be good. If you don't feel comfortable posting in this thread, could you forward me that email?

TIA

ruckus3008
07-22-2009, 14:50
The only bad things I have heard about them are that they are so nice you want to buy more and that they will make you broke.

srothman
07-22-2009, 17:39
My problem with Fusion is with the quality for the price.

A lot of people are spending $1,500.00 and up on building a "custom" gun. While the features are custom, the quality is not.

Fusion builds a production quality gun, no matter how much money you spend. The quality is along the lines of a Springfield, Kimber, etc.

deMontacute
07-22-2009, 18:19
Their parts and kits seem like good quality to me, though I never bought one.

A guy I know from my favorite gun shop, purchased a kit and it seemed like a good base for a build.

Options are endless.

That said, I don't feel there quite up to the standard set by Baer, Brown, and the like.

http://www.planet-tus.com/img/Image/2724_dejavu_big.jpg

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067505&highlight=fusion

bac1023
07-22-2009, 18:52

A lot of people are spending $1,500.00 and up on building a "custom" gun. While the features are custom, the quality is not.

Fusion builds a production quality gun, no matter how much money you spend. The quality is along the lines of a Springfield, Kimber, etc.

Definitely agree.

I would not pay $1500 for a Fusion. I got my Commander Elite new for $1200.

Wade-19
07-22-2009, 18:56
Definitely agree.

I would not pay $1500 for a Fusion. I got my Commander Elite new for $1200.

OH WOW !!!! I told them I didn't want anything fancy, just a reliable bobetailed commander and they said around $1600 !!

bac1023
07-22-2009, 18:59
OH WOW !!!! I told them I didn't want anything fancy, just a reliable bobetailed commander and they said around $1600 !!

That's because they have gone up. The name is out now.

I got mine in late 2007 or early 2008. Plus, I got it $100 off on Gunbroker. Bob Serva was auctioning off some of his.

$1600 seems like a lot of money for one. Of course, the bobtail can add some money. The only "cheap" bobtail is the Dan Wesson CBOB.

Wade-19
07-22-2009, 19:02
If the CBOB came in 9mm. I would already have it.

custom2
07-22-2009, 19:29

I am only buying a frame and slide kit and building my own using Wilson and Brown parts. Could you elaborate on why you feel that Fusion builds guns to the same quality of Springfield and Kimber? Are the Fusion small parts made using the MIM process? When I last looked, all their trigger groups were made from Bar stock steel. I also want to know if you are basing your opinion because you own one or if you are basing your opinion from what you have read? Please elaborate if you feel inclined to.

custom2
07-22-2009, 19:32
Brian, do you feel that your Fusion is of better, same or lesser quality compared to a Kimber or Colt and why?

deMontacute
07-22-2009, 19:46
Brian, do you feel that your Fusion is of better, same or lesser quality compared to a Kimber or Colt and why?
Did you read the thread I linked to above? This topic was hashed over a few weeks before you arrived in that thread. Your questions you asked are answered by several people in the thread...

Follow the link above...

bac1023
07-22-2009, 20:20
I am only buying a frame and slide kit and building my own using Wilson and Brown parts. Could you elaborate on why you feel that Fusion builds guns to the same quality of Springfield and Kimber? Are the Fusion small parts made using the MIM process? When I last looked, all their trigger groups were made from Bar stock steel. I also want to know if you are basing your opinion because you own one or if you are basing your opinion from what you have read? Please elaborate if you feel inclined to.

I don't believe Fusion uses any MIM, but I'm not certain. They are very similar to Dan Wesson in several ways. In fact, Bob Serva used to head up Dan Wesson.

bac1023
07-22-2009, 20:24

Hard to say. I don't have real extensive experience with any Fusion other than mine. I guess I would put Fusion on par with the best from Colt and Kimber.

Now, I shoot my Kimber Super Match better than my Colt Special Combat or Fusion. However, I shoot my Super Match better than quite a few 1911s. It just works for me for whatever reason.

custom2
07-22-2009, 20:53
Did you read the thread I linked to above? This topic was hashed over a few weeks before you arrived in that thread. Your questions you asked are answered by several people in the thread...

Follow the link above...

Yup, it was pretty much like every other thread around here. 1 or 2 pages of useful info and then 6 pages of bickering.

bac1023
07-22-2009, 20:54
Yup, it was pretty much like every other thread around here. 1 or 2 pages of useful info and then 6 pages of bickering.

That Fusion thread a few weeks back went to hell.

I think that's why everyone is being cautious here.

custom2
07-22-2009, 21:24
That Fusion thread a few weeks back went to hell.

I think that's why everyone is being cautious here.

From what I can tell and for what that's worth, I think buying one of their kits is a good buy for a tinkerer like me. Their frames are either forged SS or forged CS now. I don't care who makes them for Fusion, I'm going to buy one unless a used Valor or CBOB pops up out of nowhere locally. I don't know if I would buy one of their pre built guns or have them make one for me though. The only thing I want them to install for me is the plunger tube, pre fit the sights and extractor. The rest is up to me.

bac1023
07-23-2009, 05:17
From what I can tell and for what that's worth, I think buying one of their kits is a good buy for a tinkerer like me. Their frames are either forged SS or forged CS now. I don't care who makes them for Fusion, I'm going to buy one unless a used Valor or CBOB pops up out of nowhere locally. I don't know if I would buy one of their pre built guns or have them make one for me though. The only thing I want them to install for me is the plunger tube, pre fit the sights and extractor. The rest is up to me.

Its going to be sheer luck if a CBOB or Valor pop up used anytime soon. I don't think I've ever seen a used model of either on display anywhere. I never saw a new Valor either. I haven't seen a new CBOB in a long time. They just aren't around.

The staked on plunger tube and extractor are certainly wise to let someone do, in my opinion.

custom2
07-23-2009, 08:42
I don't feel confident in my abilities to fit a barrel, plunger tube or ejector yet. I would hate to spend that money just to ruin it, I agree.

bac1023
07-23-2009, 09:17
I don't feel confident in my abilities to fit a barrel, plunger tube or ejector yet. I would hate to spend that money just to ruin it, I agree.

I believe many of their kits have the plunger and ejector already installed. I'll have to check.

What specs are you looking to go with?

Commander, full size, longslide?

I don't think he does any bull barrel setups, but you probably don't want that anyway.

tous
07-23-2009, 09:33

Fusion will sell you a short block as complete as you want. A plunger tube staking tool is around $40.00. If you don't plan on installing a bunch of them, probably best to have them do it. Same with the ejector. Most folk need a few tries to learn how to do either operation well.

I like Fusion, both as a parts supplier and as a complete pistol. Yes, a Fusion pistol is not a $5,000 custom build. But, you aren't paying $5,000. I suggest that they are slightly functionally superior to a comparable Springfield or Kimber, the fit and finish is a notch above a consumer model, you get a Series 70 ignition system and the folks there are a pleasure to work with.

A great value for the money.

custom2
07-23-2009, 12:20
I believe many of their kits have the plunger and ejector already installed. I'll have to check.

What specs are you looking to go with?

Commander, full size, longslide?

I don't think he does any bull barrel setups, but you probably don't want that anyway.

They most certainly do offer those items pre installed on their kits. But, if you opt to buy all the pieces for the frame separately, they will install them for a nominal fee along the lines of 20 dollars each.

To answer your question about what I want to buy in terms of size, I really haven't decided yet. I better hurry up though. I started my Kimber build up as a blue print as to what I wanted to achieve with my Fusion build. Now that I think of it more, I kind of miss having a Commander sized gun. I don't know if I will go with a bobbed frame because having a magwell extension is an important feature to me but I also love the look of a bobbed frame. Having a bull barrel isn't that important to me. I did like the way it tooked on my old CDP but I prefer function over form anyway.

So, all I can say is :dunno:

bac1023
07-23-2009, 12:25
They most certainly do offer those items pre installed on their kits. But, if you opt to buy all the pieces for the frame separately, they will install them for a nominal fee along the lines of 20 dollars each.

To answer your question about what I want to buy in terms of size, I really haven't decided yet. I better hurry up though. I started my Kimber build up as a blue print as to what I wanted to achieve with my Fusion build. Now that I think of it more, I kind of miss having a Commander sized gun. I don't know if I will go with a bobbed frame because having a magwell extension is an important feature to me but I also love the look of a bobbed frame. Having a bull barrel isn't that important to me. I did like the way it tooked on my old CDP but I prefer function over form anyway.

So, all I can say is :dunno:

True. I like both bull barrels and bushing setups. Bull barrels have a tighter lockup, generally speaking, because there is only the one tolerance point, whereas a bushing setup has two.

HAIL CAESAR
07-23-2009, 12:27
My new one is still a month and a half out.

custom2
07-23-2009, 12:49
True. I like both bull barrels and bushing setups. Bull barrels have a tighter lockup, generally speaking, because there is only the one tolerance point, whereas a bush setup has two.

Thanks for that tid bit of info on bull barrels. I was unaware. I'm so very torn about getting a Commander VS a 5 incher. Maybe I will let fate decide (flip a coin).

bac1023
07-23-2009, 14:27
Thanks for that tid bit of info on bull barrels. I was unaware. I'm so very torn about getting a Commander VS a 5 incher. Maybe I will let fate decide (flip a coin).

I always felt a magwell went better with a full size model, but my Fusion is obviously a commander that has one.

Substance-P
07-23-2009, 19:36
I just talked with Bob Serva again via email. They have had one of my guns for refinishing for a couple of months (it was supposed to be done in a few weeks but things must have picked up there). It hasn't been a big deal b/c I have been in the middle of a move and haven't been able to follow up on it but I am looking forward to getting it back and being able to contribute some to these Fusion threads.

bac1023
07-23-2009, 19:44
I just talked with Bob Serva again via email. They have had one of my guns for refinishing for a couple of months (it was supposed to be done in a few weeks but things must have picked up there). It hasn't been a big deal b/c I have been in the middle of a move and haven't been able to follow up on it but I am looking forward to getting it back and being able to contribute some to these Fusion threads.

Cool.

My Pistol Dynamics has been in finishing phase for nearly three months now. :sigh:

army.matt
01-17-2010, 23:45
any advice for a guy getting ready to start his first build up. Dont tell me to just buy one cause Im doing it to gain experience and cause I live a somewhat boring life. Tools needed to complete installation of frame parts and slide parts? Thanks for any advice.

BOGE
01-18-2010, 00:43
...Dont tell me to just buy one...

Just buy one. :supergrin:

Seriously, there are some neophytes that can watch a video and then build a 1911. That would be about three people in the USA total. :whistling:
The tools are expensive, the work is precise and requires much patience. I would recommend getting the Kunhausen 1911 book first & then watching a video or two. Better yet if you have a local 'smith that knows 1911īs and will let you watch.

I say this as I have known many people who started out to do this and either gave up or f&%$%# up the work so bad that it was pathetic.

It ainīt as easy as it looks. :wavey:

army.matt
01-18-2010, 16:58
Thanks for the advice. I stoped by the gun store and talked to the gunsmith for a couple of hours and he was pretty informative. He even let me know of a gunsmith school near by. Its about an hour or so away.