Can I fire/test my new Glock 23 Offshore? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can I fire/test my new Glock 23 Offshore?

Dom
07-21-2009, 22:06
Hi,

I just received my new glock 23C and wanted to give it a few test fires to see how it shoots.

Since ranges/ammo are so expensive, I was wondering if it would be legal to discharge/test my firearm offshore (from a boat) in south Florida waters. Of course, this is assuming proper safety protocols and that I am not anywhere near other boaters.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anything!

Thanks in advance

greatwun
07-23-2009, 09:08
I would think you'd have to go 3 miles out to be in international waters to do so. I also think that if you are within Florida waters self defense laws apply, so you could only discharge the firearm to defend you, your family, or property from a forcible felony? Isnt there a section on this in Gutmacher's book?

Baldi
07-23-2009, 10:18
I have read that shooting over water is dangerous as the bullet can skip a long way - like skipping stones. Be careful.

greatwun
07-23-2009, 14:29
especially if they're flat bullets

mac59
07-23-2009, 16:54
Just a thought -- if you are boarded by the U.S.C.G. and they do a search, find a freshly fired gun they will have questions.

Dom
07-26-2009, 01:12
Well I did some research apparently it's ok when your in international waters... but the ricochet is a good point...better stick to the range.

And if anyone decides to do it, call your local sheriff'/police office to make sure.

Thanks guys

packinaglock
07-26-2009, 06:42
I have read that shooting over water is dangerous as the bullet can skip a long way - like skipping stones. Be careful.

This would be my fear also

Usingmyrights
07-26-2009, 21:53
Seems to me that unless ranges are alot more in south FL than they are up here that it would be cheaper to just go to the range.

Goldendog Redux
07-26-2009, 22:09
Hi,

I just received my new glock 23C and wanted to give it a few test fires to see how it shoots.

Since ranges/ammo are so expensive, I was wondering if it would be legal to discharge/test my firearm offshore (from a boat) in south Florida waters. Of course, this is assuming proper safety protocols and that I am not anywhere near other boaters.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anything!

Thanks in advance

So it is more convenient (and cheaper) for you to go out on a boat far, far from shore to test fire a gun rather than pay a few bucks to go to a range?

MF

Usingmyrights
07-27-2009, 13:12
So it is more convenient (and cheaper) for you to go out on a boat far, far from shore to test fire a gun rather than pay a few bucks to go to a range?

MF

Heck, he could just go to an alley in Miami and no one would think twice about a few rounds going off.

Peace Warrior
07-28-2009, 01:23
Navy gunners and MA's always fire at sea.

As far as ricochets, they are a probability, but they will not continue forever and ever and ever....

Tie and old PFD to a cord, let it drift behind you 10 yards, and then test fire your new Glock. Oh, but only do it in international waters and with no other boats/vessels in sight.

Peace Warrior
07-28-2009, 01:24
Heck, he could just go to an alley in Miami and no one would think twice about a few rounds going off.
:rofl:

scoutstaugustin
07-29-2009, 16:10
Firing from a boat, all you'll learn is whether or not your gun goes bang. As far as accuracy, you won't be able to tell if you could hit the broad side of a barn.
Hit the range.

Dom
08-01-2009, 21:26
Problem with the range is I'm low on cash right now as I'm paying tuition expenses and the ranges in Palm Beach County, FL make you buy THEIR ammunition...you cannot bring your own.

Oh, and THEIR ammunition costs twice as much as what you would pay in a store! The prices are ridiculous.. like $35 for 50 rounds which would normally cost you $16 at wally mart.

Peace Warrior
08-01-2009, 21:28
Problem with the range is I'm low on cash right now as I'm paying tuition expenses and the ranges in Palm Beach County, FL make you buy THEIR ammunition...you cannot bring your own.

Oh, and THEIR ammunition costs twice as much as what you would pay in a store! The prices are ridiculous.. like $35 for 50 rounds which would normally cost you $16 at wally mart.
Dom,

I was ignoring the "why go to sea tribe's" verbiage. heck, if I could get off shore for a while I'd do it just to do it! The fishing, time on the water, and shooting a gun or two would simply be gravy after the fact.

Have fun hoss, and when you get back, do tell me about the one that got away. :wavey:

Peace Warrior
08-01-2009, 21:31
Firing from a boat, all you'll learn is whether or not your gun goes bang. As far as accuracy, you won't be able to tell if you could hit the broad side of a barn.
Hit the range.
:upeyes: I "know a guy" that shot pretty accurately from a boat back in the day.

scoutstaugustin
08-02-2009, 16:50
Actually, Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs did O.K. from boats in "Miami Vice", and that was real wasn't it ???

Seriously, too bad about the ammo price thing. I've never been to a range where you gotta buy their stuff.

M4G's
08-04-2009, 19:27
I understand your love of guns and shooting . I share it but please don't give anyone ideas like this. Generally not a good idea. Although i have thouight about it and was more than 3 miles out i did'nt want to get used to what is clearly a bad habit. Be carefull of others.

M4G's
08-04-2009, 19:29
firing from a boat, all you'll learn is whether or not your gun goes bang. As far as accuracy, you won't be able to tell if you could hit the broad side of a barn.
Hit the range.

+1...

Evela
08-28-2009, 09:54
I don't buy this S*** at all. Let's see, he doesn't have enough money for say an $8 range fee, but he has enough to gas up and head out to "international waters".

Idiocy. As an experience boater, I can tell you that other watercraft are very hard to see due to waves and troughs, and that any bullet fired will far exceed your visual ability at sea.

This is the kind of nut that gives shooting and guns a bad name. Shame!

noway
09-06-2009, 18:34
let me get this straight, correct if I miss anything;

hard up on cash but can get(buy) a new glock & launch a boat and then drive oops boat on out into international water to test fire his gun , complains on gun ranges prices in Sflorida, noway just shakes his head.

crash594
09-06-2009, 21:38
I asked marine patrol about this once they said only if you like jail time and would not say anythig else.

pmcsurf1
09-08-2009, 19:53
some of you are too uptight. Shoot away my friend. You'll see any boat within 1-2 miles of you. I don't think Homeland Security will be wathcing from parascope depth to see some local yahoo popping off a couple rounds.
I've though about popping a couple rounds myself when those rotten, no good 'cuddas show up and steal my red snapper boat side. I don't care if people are around or not... i'm protecting my families right to eat Genuine Red Snapper.
God love 'em.