30.06 comparisons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 30.06 comparisons

10-17-2002, 13:35
I'm in the market for a 30.06 left-handed bolt action. When I think of 30.06 I automatically think of the remington 700 model.

What do you guys use and why did you choose the maker?

I like the stock wood finish, but I'm also considering the synthetic black.

mpol777
10-17-2002, 14:47
i have a rem 700 ADL in 06

i chose it because it was inexpensive and lent it self to upgrades if i wanted to do anything down the road.

with a little more experience now i can definately say that remington, winchester, and savage are all good guns. these are the ones i have personal experience with. i'll bet that ruger and browning make fine pieces as well.

if you're looking to keep the gun mostly stock any of these would be good. i think the rem 700 has the best action for cusomizing simply because there's a huge market for that model and parts and readily available.

the only manufacturer that i don't really like is weatherby. not because their guns are bad, but for the price they go for you could build up a truly custom remington and end up with a better gun.

shrpshtr
10-17-2002, 15:18
remington 700....synthetic. it's my 4th remington in my collection. it's all i shoot (as far as long guns are concerned).

g21glock
10-17-2002, 19:16
Im a lefty too, and I have a couple Weatherbys. They are (to me) the best thing out there. I have owned many rifles, but the Accumark is what I really love.
I looked at a Rem. Sendero I think it was about 2 years ago, but just decided to go ahead and get another Weatherby.

Now if your wanting an entry level gun ,like the Rem,Winchester, etc. that they sell at walmart, then the Rem. you can get for the money is a decent gun, but if your wanting a top of the line hunter, with all the goodies, then your looking at the Sendero's and the Accumarks etc.

If ya buy a cheap gun and have to buy stainless fluted barrels, crowning work ,get action, trigger work,stocks, have bedding plate installed etc, you have spent a fortune and theres nothing left of what you bought to start with,but, Rem. and Weatherby and others offer rifles already set up to custom gun levels all ready to go. YEs you will pay good money for them, but to say all guns are created equal is like comparing a suzuki samari with a Mil Spec. Hummer for serious duty use.

The above thoughts are IMHO. I have nothing against a Rem. 700 ,my best friend has one of the entry level Rems. and for him its great,he loves it, another one of my buddies has a Sendero he swears by.
Its going to come down to exactly what YOU are looking for in a rifle.

Safe shooting

P-990
10-17-2002, 20:45
I cast a vote for the Remington 700! I finally have mine, and I love it. Mine is a Mountain Rifle, chambered in .260 Remington. (I'm right handed, if that makes any difference.) It will shoot in the .7-.8" range all day with 140gr Sierra GameKings. All I've done to it is clean it and keep the scope mounts tight! Can't go wrong with a Remington.

Have no opinion of the others, except to say that my dad uses a Winchester 94 .30/30, my left-handed uncle uses a Savage 110 in .308, and my grandfather uses an old-model Ruger 77 in .308. So you could say that I have a reason to support all 4 manufacturers!

Czech K-9
10-17-2002, 21:43
Savage is very worth taking a look at, blue to stainless they have it all. They also have pakage deals, rifle, scope, sling, ammo & case for a very very reasonble price. Good luck and Happy Hunting;P

paynter2
10-17-2002, 21:47
I'm a Remington guy too. I just like them.

Do yourself a favor and work the action of a left hand .308 or similar short action before you buy. The 30-06 makes for a long stroke - something to consider in the field.

sooner pete
10-21-2002, 21:29
winchester model 70 classic sporter

safetyslug
10-22-2002, 20:45
I vote for SAKO. Love the SAKO. Tikka is fun too. I am sure you can get them in left handers.

shojin
10-22-2002, 22:41
Winchester model 54.

Gunnut 45/454
10-24-2002, 17:54
I got one of these- very accurate out of the Box!! How about 1' to 1/2'Groups at 100 yds depending on Bullet used-Just loves 165 gr Barnes X's 1/2" or less groups all day long!!;f

g21glock
10-24-2002, 18:33
Gunnut---

That X-bullet is something else isnt it?? I love it,by far my fav.
Have you ever recovered one? Holy ....fill in the blank batman devastating,it does just what it says it will do.

Safe shooting