Thrillers: Silva, Thor? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thrillers: Silva, Thor?

dogcaller
07-22-2009, 21:29
I've done some summer reading with 3 or 4 of Daniel Silva's books (in order), but I'm a bit put off by some of the weaponcraft inaccuracies. Anyone else noticed this? Also, his world-wide cabal of underground policy-makers seemed a bit more X-Files that reality.

I heard an interview with a guy named _______ Thor, and he sounded like a stud. Is the writing any good?

I need a good mix. Mack Boland doesn't cut it because the writing isn't good enough. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW: Everyone must read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Now I'm interested in the entire genre. Thinking of Victor Davis Hansen next...

JimBianchi
07-22-2009, 21:58
I'm reading one now that also has a few major ones.

G19 is fired, he checks the mag and it is empty and say "Damn, only two rounds left in the chamber"

Makes me want to throw it out!

MikeNH
07-24-2009, 20:25
Your probably thinking of Brad Thor. I really enjoyed his books. Pretty good with weapon knowledge, though the plots are a bit unlikely in some cases. He only has 5 or 6 books out right now and I read them all in a fairly short amount of time when I was going back and forth to the west coast a bunch for work. You might also like Vince Flynn if Thor's books do anything for you. Both center around the super badass gov't agent type of character. Like Thor's, the storyline gets a bit crazy, but they were fun reads, especially his first, Term Limits. I'd sorta like to see that one somehow morph to happening in real life. Lee Child's are good too, but the weapon knowledge really isn't too strong IMO.

223shootersc
08-05-2009, 07:03
If you like action William Johnston's Ashes Series, if you like Sniper stuff Stephen Hunter, and if you like tanks Harold Coyle and Army officers/intelligence WEB Griffin new series

minnshooter
08-05-2009, 09:03
All the ones listed are good, I have read 18 of the Ashes Series by Johnstone, all of Vince Flynn's books and am just starting to get into Brad Thor. I really enjoyed Vince Flynn's.

jacquejet
08-15-2009, 11:43
I just read 2 of Silva's books (#2 & 3) and while I enjoyed them, the weaponology bugged me as well. The one that continually got to me was the reference to "high powered browning."

For accuracy in weapons, Stephen Hunter is hard to top.