Campfire Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Campfire Question

newtonives
07-25-2009, 16:25
I dont like to carry a pot for hunting or short camping trips, but always have a stainless steal (no glass) thermos with me. If I take the lid off can I put the thermos directly on a campstove or fire. I just want to make sure it wont ruin the thermous or its vacuum seal in any way.

DJ Niner
07-25-2009, 23:13
Well, the use instructions don't directly address that issue:

http://www.thermos.com/careuseStainlessSteelVacuumware.aspx

although they do say not to microwave it. However, I think there may be a reason it is not addressed directly.

A Thermos bottle is designed to insulate the liquid inside from outside temperature differences. Whether it's a hot liquid kept from cooling, or a cold liquid prevented from warming, it's designed to NOT transfer heat/cold between the liquid and the outside environment. Therefore, deliberately trying to work against its design by forcing heat transfer is counterproductive at minimum, and may well damaged the bottle if taken to extremes. Although the interior and exterior of your bottle may be metal, it's quite possible that the neck area where the two are joined is not, and excessive heat could melt or otherwise break that critical seal. There may also be internal spacers which could be damaged.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

Jonesee
07-29-2009, 22:24
I don't know why you would carry the thermos unless you are just out for the morning, but that is your business.

When I am back country packing, and others who do, carry a 2-3 cup steel cup. Boil your water, add your dehydrated meal, or coffee or whatever. Use a bandana or some other cloth to take it off the fire, it will be hot. There are a milllion ways to make a home made fire stove or pits from of a sterno stove (not using sterno), or soup cans and larger etc. That way it doesn't destroy vegetation (just uses twigs the size of a pencil) and can be packed in and out with you for a pound or so weight (lighter and smaller than a thermos). No need to buy the latest and greatest in the store. Most serious packers are using stuff they build and learned it serves them the best. Youtube also has a ton of videos on how to build this stuff once you see something that interests you.

Google "back country packing" or "ultra light packing" and you will be amazed.

If you are going into the brush long enough you want to heat water, leave the thermos at home and take the rest. Also, it is all valuable if something happens and you need to stay an unexpected extra night. Lost, injured, etc.

For the weight of the thermos alone, without anything in it, I guarantee you can create a whole mess kit including tender, several different types of fire starters, and "stove" to heat with.

Once you see some of this stuff, you will be amazed and addicted. Go buy a cup, make yourself a can stove or sterno frame stove and try it on the back porch.

If you have a specific question, or a specific need, drop me a note. It may seem overwhelming, but it is really easy.

19Delta
08-18-2009, 14:16
A USGI SS Canteen Cup will suffice for most solo trips. I keep the space taken-up to a min by stuffing other things inside it while inside my pack.

vafish
08-18-2009, 19:49
When I was growing up in and deer hunting in Northern Minnesota we all carried a "Tea Bucket" in our hunting packs.

It was simply a tin can with a piece of coat hanger wire handle attached to it. The can was carried in a paper bag (to keep the soot away from our packs) with some tea bags, sugar packs, and hot chocolate.

For the size and weight it was a great way to keep a hot cup of tea or cocoa on you.

gunrunner0
09-08-2009, 18:55
I was always told that there was a lead vacuum inside thermos's like that, which would melt and lose it's vacuum if you put it a fire or stove, I dont know if this is true or not cuz I never tried but I would'nt recomend it.