Some plant questions for the FL folks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some plant questions for the FL folks

Usingmyrights
07-25-2009, 21:08
I'm looking for a place around Melrose, FL that sells fruit trees at a good price. I'm looking for ones that are ready to bear fruit so I don't have to wait a long time for it to grow first. I'm wanting to get an orange, lemon, grapefruit, and fig tree. I'd also be interested in pears, peaches and appples (I doubt I could get the apples to grow well here though). I'm also looking for some nice, bigger blueberry bushes.

Also I hear that Sago palms are pretty expensive plants. I was told that one of the ones on my property is a $1k plant. That sounds crazy to me, but if they are worth a decent amount then I'd be interested in selling mine. So if anyone knows a place that buys them or will trade for the fruit trees let me know.

packinaglock
07-26-2009, 06:40
I have 2 orange and one grapefruit tree, the orange trees only took about 1 year to bear fruit. The grapefruit is going on 3 years and nothing yet. As for my garden just about everything I plant in the summer it gets burned up by the heat & sun. Winter time my garden is great, I just wish I could find some things that could stand the heat other than my pepper plants.

Usingmyrights
07-26-2009, 09:37
How big were your trees when you planted them? I know that stuff that bears fruit in the spring/early summer that it won't be until next year that it bears fruit. I just didn't want to have to wait until 2011. I'm going to have to look at different varieties and figure out when they produce so hopefully have something always being produced year around with maybe only a couple week gap inbetween.

packinaglock
07-26-2009, 11:16
All were about 3' when planted (bought from Home Depot)

FLAHOTROD
07-27-2009, 20:49
I have heard the same thing about the Sago palms. My neighbors had one and were just looking to get rid of it. They were able to get it removed for free. The person did it just for the tree.

Sorry, can't help with your other questions. When it comes to gardening and landscaping, I have a "scorched earth" effect.

Peace Warrior
07-28-2009, 01:07
I have 2 orange and one grapefruit tree, the orange trees only took about 1 year to bear fruit. The grapefruit is going on 3 years and nothing yet. As for my garden just about everything I plant in the summer it gets burned up by the heat & sun. Winter time my garden is great, I just wish I could find some things that could stand the heat other than my pepper plants.
I've always heard that you have to plant those things in twos in order to get them to bear faster. Maybe get another grapefruit ?

Usingmyrights
07-28-2009, 11:33
I've always heard that you have to plant those things in twos in order to get them to bear faster. Maybe get another grapefruit ?

Based on research they do have "male" and "female" trees. Some trees can self pollinate though. You have to buy that kind of tree from the start though, so he probably will need a 2nd tree to get grapefruits

Peace Warrior
07-28-2009, 15:19
...As for my garden just about everything I plant in the summer it gets burned up by the heat & sun. Winter time my garden is great, I just wish I could find some things that could stand the heat other than my pepper plants.
The sun shouldn't be able to "burn you out."

Just off the top of my head:

Plant early in the year for "salad vegetables." Beans, peas et cetera continue to bear all through the season.

Water the roots, but not the plants.

A lot of fungus and some insect attacks "resembles" being burned up by heat. As in some leaves seem to dry out and some leaves roll up. So maybe the problem is not related specifically to the heat.

Tomatoes do exceptional here in Florida, but just be sure the soil's acidity is controlled for the best taste.

Usingmyrights
07-28-2009, 16:26
Tomatoes do exceptional here in Florida, but just be sure the soil's acidity is controlled for the best taste.

Tell that to mine. I've got some that are 6' tall and haven't had so much as a bloosum on them

Peace Warrior
07-28-2009, 20:59
Tell that to mine. I've got some that are 6' tall and haven't had so much as a bloosum on them
Or are the blossoms falling off? Florida is known for its problems with blossoms due to bugs and our afternoon thunder bummers. We also have to deal with blossom end rot more so than other locales, IIRC.

There is a dust you can "spray" that will help. Google and then check your local nursery center. The stuff my brother uses looks white as paper on his tomato plant leaves.

Did you seed/plant early? (Like plants put in the ground by mid-March?)

packinaglock
07-31-2009, 19:30
Based on research they do have "male" and "female" trees. Some trees can self pollinate though. You have to buy that kind of tree from the start though, so he probably will need a 2nd tree to get grapefruits

I did not know that:embarassed:

Usingmyrights
07-31-2009, 20:36
I did not know that:embarassed:

I can get a little OCD when researching something. It is a good thing to know though if you plan on having fruit trees