The Foodsaver [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Foodsaver

SouthernGal
07-28-2009, 07:37
Anybody else here own one? I just bought the model 2220 for about $115 and I'm using it for just about everything I put into my freezer. I've put up 6 or so pints of blueberries and 8 pints of purple hull peas from my parent's garden. I've also individually packaged 4 huge ribeyes I got at Sam's and thrown those in the freezer too. It's pretty hard for me to keep food otherwise since I live alone.

gruntmedik
07-30-2009, 01:13
We love ours. Great for venison, as I butcher my own. Also use it when buying meat in bulk from Sam's. I've found if you freeze some things for about 30 min. 1st, you won't have near the problem of liquids getting into the machine.

Also works great for waterproofing camping/survival stuff.

SouthernGal
07-30-2009, 06:42
We love ours. Great for venison, as I butcher my own. Also use it when buying meat in bulk from Sam's. I've found if you freeze some things for about 30 min. 1st, you won't have near the problem of liquids getting into the machine.

Also works great for waterproofing camping/survival stuff.

I was thinking about that very thing--venison. My dad usually gets at least one a year, if not more and I want the butcher to hold some out for me so I can come pick it up and package it myself. He usually just wraps the meat in white butcher's paper but I believe my packing is superior.

And I'm dying to try this on fresh fish fillets.

I froze my blueberries for close to an hour first and used the "wet" setting but it still just pulled so hard that you could see some juice coming to the top.

ETA: are you using the pre-cut bags or are you cutting your own? When I cleaned out my freezer a month or so ago I was amazed at how much I threw out that was packaged in ziploc bags that had freezerburned. The Foodsaver "roll" is about $20 and beats ziploc prices and quality.

gruntmedik
07-30-2009, 15:09
I prefer using the roll--seems to be less waste that way.

I also got a lid for the Mason jars--works pretty well.