Rattler [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rattler

cc hunter
07-28-2009, 19:40
killed in a south texas ranch near Benavides Texas..... approx. 6ft With My S&W40 with one shot :2gun:

vGnzlz
07-28-2009, 19:51
who is the good looking guy with the snake?:whistling:

cc hunter
07-28-2009, 19:55
My bff

vGnzlz
07-28-2009, 19:56
killed in a south texas ranch near Benavides Texas..... approx. 6ft With My S&W40 with one shot :2gun:

one shot?

i heard you unloaded your 22 and missed everytime......:rofl::tongueout:

CanyonMan
07-31-2009, 13:43
Come on out... plenty to go around. ;)

CanyonMan

chevy01234
07-31-2009, 17:28
SCREW THAT!!! Ha

I would have to bring my snake killers if I came to the Canyons!

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7696/19460002.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/i/19460002.jpg/)

jtull7
07-31-2009, 17:31
That's a biggun', Bubba. Good shooting.

CanyonMan
07-31-2009, 22:56
SCREW THAT!!! Ha

I would have to bring my snake killers if I came to the Canyons!

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7696/19460002.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/i/19460002.jpg/)

LOL !!!

Yep most folks, country or city, that come here want "snake leggins."

The two pics above were in another canyon, and my brother took the pics (i think), but we got the same deal here on the place or worse...

This pic here below, is a 5' 3" job, I killed here in front of the house with a mesquite stick and then jumped on him with my boot heel and kinda ground his noggin into the ground. He shows 5' even in the pic, but when he finally got "limp," he stretched out a few more inches. He is by "no means," mr big around here. I will refrain from telling you how big they get here so no one will be tempted to call me a liar... ;) We wouldn't want any of that goin on. ha.

Front yard, back yard, barn, corrals. You name it, and these old boys and the bobcats and lions are all over the place. Everything is eatin something else seems like.. ha

You kinda get used to it after a while, unless it is dark and your in your underware, and had to run outside right quick to check on somethin, or do something in a rush, and hear...... BZZZZZZZ ! :wow: :supergrin:

Good lookin gear ya got there. Love that rifle.

Stay safe Hoss...

CanyonMan

chevy01234
08-02-2009, 15:33
We have Water Moccasins like y'all have rattlers! That is actually the only rattler I have seen and killed on my farm. Don't see them often! I see copperheads or water moccasins daily though on the farm. I killed that snake checking on a bow stand last year, if the dog hadn't seen it I would have walked right past it, he never made a sound. I had the AR for hogs and the 10mm concealed like I usually do at the farm! First shot (with AR) stopped it, second shot was with 10mm took the head off! Next one I kill is getting mounted though!

CanyonMan
08-02-2009, 20:54
We have Water Moccasins like y'all have rattlers! That is actually the only rattler I have seen and killed on my farm. Don't see them often! I see copperheads or water moccasins daily though on the farm. I killed that snake checking on a bow stand last year, if the dog hadn't seen it I would have walked right past it, he never made a sound. I had the AR for hogs and the 10mm concealed like I usually do at the farm! First shot (with AR) stopped it, second shot was with 10mm took the head off! Next one I kill is getting mounted though!

My friend, you can keep your "Water Moccasins, copperheads, and ALL non - buzzing snakes sown there." LOL.

My inlaws are in Tennessee (some of them), and I have family with great holdings of land there as well. When I do make it there to visit or hunt, I am on pins and needles, and my family has fun with me in the "bottoms and swampy places," with the snakes you described, and gators, and you name it.

To quote you in your post looking at my pic...... "SCREW THAT!!! Ha "

I want nothing to do with these swamp creatures. I was bit on the calf of my right leg by a water moccasin, and yes he was under water when he bit me !

Left two nice fang holes in me. I saw Jimi Hendrix type stuff for a couple of hours and kept an ice pack on it, and prayed. Next morning all was fine !

You learn out here you can't run to a doctor every 5 minutes. #1 there is no one out here, and #2. well, you just don't. Any way, no thanks on the non warning, non buzzing snakes. I want to hear it first. ;)

Good luck and stay safe. Again, I sure like that AK. ;)
P.S. Better check with the taxidermist before you get to eager to have a big one mounted. In this country (West Texas), it is 300.00 - 400.00 for a lousy snake ! But Hoss, they sure do make a fine meal, over mesquite, or rolled in half flour and half corn meal.... YUM ! They truly are delicious.

Get a few rattlers, and some calf fryes a cookin, and some roastin ears, and beans and corn bread and ice tea.... man oh man. :cool:

Stay safe
good huntin/shootin

CanyonMan

nickE10mm
08-02-2009, 23:30
Dang, CanyonMan!! THAT was a big pile of rattlers!!

We've got water moccasins here in MO especially down around the lake. If someone got bitten by one we would head to the hospital for SURE. Cottonmouths are nothing to joke around with. You sit on the couch with an ice pack on the wound and you may just die.

You might be able to get away with that with a Copperhead bite but not a Cottonmouth....

CanyonMan
08-03-2009, 12:33
All I know is..... That big fat water moc was with a whole pile of buddies, he bit me under water in the calf. I was in Jimi Hendrixville with my head, and i did pray, and I did wait it out with a couple of tylenol and the next day was back out gettin after it. I say. (seriously), Thank you Jesus ! (seriously).

I rather be bit by one of them, than one of our rattlers out here. We never have a fear of them, (and they are) literally every where, behind almost everything "On this ranch." You grow up used to them. BUT, it will make your hair stand up at night in the dark, and when your havin one scoot along side your boot, and when you are leanin over to pic something up and BAM ! There he is !

We are told by the snake hunters out of sweetwater, TX. that we got more on this ranch than any ranch in Coke Co. TX.

Again.... They are good to eat. Past that, we don't care if someone catches or kills them all.... But that "ain't even goin to happen." ;)

Couple more pics... There are a cajillion of these type dens that run way up under the mountain rock walls, all over the ranch....

Stay safe
Good hunting

CanyonMan

Esox357
08-04-2009, 19:56
Nice, you shot it you eat it :0). Esox357.

CanyonMan
08-05-2009, 07:09
Nice, you shot it you eat it :0). Esox357.

Taste just like chicken !

CM

cc hunter
08-06-2009, 10:46
Taste just like chicken !

CM

how do you prepare/cook the snake?

CanyonMan
08-06-2009, 13:52
how do you prepare/cook the snake?

Just about like anything else really. You skin it, gut it, cut it into sections (to suit taste), I like them about 3" to 4" long, wash, wash wash, like any other game animal. Then my wife simply does it like the calf frys. Roll in a mixture of half corn meal, and half flour, deep fry in one of those plug in deep fryers from wal-mart or a dip pan or skillet. (oil, crisco, whatever suits ya.)

Like any other game meat, the recipes are endless. Mix in hot peppers, garlic, this that etc.

It is very good to be honest with you..... it is the "thought" of it that turns most people away. Just like the calf frys/mountain oysters/bull nuts, whatever tag you want to put on it.....

The meat has a very slight pink tint to it, and if your brain is not telling you it is nasty, you will enjoy the meal with some roastin ears, mashed potatoes, beans.... It is as good as rabbit or squirrel or any other small game. It is the "thought" that kills it off for most folks.

Rattler meat sells any where from 4.00 to 8/10.00 a pound if you go buy it. (we don't have that problem, the ranch is crawing with them ). This and turkey frys, and calf frys, are a way of life, (along with prime beef of course), on about any ranch in the west I have ever been a part of or know of....

If you don't like this stuff, don't cowboy on a big western ranch ! You'll starve ! LOL. :supergrin:

P.S. No, we don't just sit around and eat rattlers all the time. ;)

It's a cattle ranch, not a rattler ranch... Well, I guess both could be true, depending on how I look at it ! ha.

Good Hunting/Shooting.

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
08-06-2009, 14:07
It sould look nice and clean like this. Before cutting into sections...
Just takes a few minutes, no real mess or fuss to be honest with ya...

Good luck

CanyonMan

vafish
08-07-2009, 06:45
It sould look nice and clean like this. Before cutting into sections...
Just takes a few minutes, no real mess or fuss to be honest with ya...

Good luck

CanyonMan

What about the bones? are there any?

CanyonMan
08-07-2009, 07:41
What about the bones? are there any?

Yes. You will find little small rib like bones. Little spiny type bones, that you simply use your fork to sorta 'rake' the meat of of. It is really 'no big deal', and not like your going to swallow one or anything. To me, it is not as bad as eating small perch type fish where you get bones stuck in your mouth 'if' you do not fillet them, ya know.

Now, if you want the meat off the bones, simply place the cleaned cut pieces in a pot of water with just very little heat, a 'very slight simmer', for about, gosh, I think 45min to an hour. It should just fall right off. You will have something that looks akin to slightly pinkish tuna fish in looks and texture.

Don't let the bones throw ya for a loop though. Out of the deep fry onto the supper plate, and simply take the fork, and rake the meat off and eat. It is really a pretty simple and struggle free process.

I made a joke, above post: "Taste like chicken." It don't. haha. It taste more along the lines of aqua type, etc. (maybe frog legs or such).

Kinda hard to pinpoint the taste, it has its own. But i assure you, if your mind is not dancing with visions of creepy crawlers when you eat, and you are doing fine there, you will love the meat if you do add a little garlic, seasoning/s, kinda use your imagination. I do prefer deep fried as described above. There are no rules, so just season away to taste, and enjoy........

The pic below is one of my inlaws, on his first ever bite of Buzz tail. He had the "oh my gosh its a snake syndrome." Man we laughed. He was pale as a sheet. He came up drew a breath and said, "Its pretty dang good."

What a paradox. A man bites a rattle snake ! :supergrin:

My pic did not come through... I'll try again below.

HTH's

Good huntin.
Staye safe.

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
08-07-2009, 07:46
Not much of a pic actually. I dump it in a day or two... He was fun to watch though. ;)

CM

kenny31
08-29-2009, 13:05
I've killed many a rattler but never tried eating one. I'll eat damn near anything though... How do you clean? Cut off the head, I imagine to get rid of the venom sac but what else? Bear season starts in 3 days, I might have to find me a snack.

CanyonMan
08-29-2009, 17:52
I've killed many a rattler but never tried eating one. I'll eat damn near anything though... How do you clean? Cut off the head, I imagine to get rid of the venom sac but what else? Bear season starts in 3 days, I might have to find me a snack.

Cleaning and preperation instructions on Post # 16 and #19.

Just cut the head off about 3" behind the head, and zip him open and gut him, and peel the skin off like you would a cat fish, cut into preferred lengths, clean, roll in flour/corn meal, fry. Eat .

Very easy to do, very quick, and very good camp meat while on the hunt for other things. If you hunt in rattler country, ans see a good deal of them, (most folks don't), this makes a quick and esy meal.

Good luck

CanyonMan