Customs: You can't bring our double edges knives home! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Customs: You can't bring our double edges knives home!

Fox
07-30-2009, 03:34
I purchased a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat folder knife at the PX and carried it on missions in Iraq. But Customs declared them illegal in the USA, so we can't bring them home with us.

I am livid!

A dagger may be illegal in a few states like CA, NY, and MA. But they are legal to own in most others, including my home state of WA.

Please write your congressmen about this issue. I gave my $80 combat folder to another Joe rather than toss it in the trash with the "purchase price" that he would promise to pass it on rather than tossing it in the trash when it was his time to go home.

Blitzer
07-30-2009, 03:41
More bull crap, a hidden issue that the seller should have made you aware of at the time of purchase!

It is currently ok to sell here in the USA but not bring back from over seas, pure bullcrap!

Fox
07-30-2009, 03:50
I am going to write letters to my congressmen, I am going to contact some NRA reps about this issue too. We gotta turn this around.

HogGlocker
08-07-2009, 18:02
I went through similar crap when I processed back stateside from Iraq.

Is there a current protocol that prevents mailing it home?

DriBak
08-13-2009, 20:12
That sucks

Bren
08-17-2009, 10:35
I purchased a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat folder knife at the PX and carried it on missions in Iraq. But Customs declared them illegal in the USA, so we can't bring them home with us.

I am livid!

A dagger may be illegal in a few states like CA, NY, and MA. But they are legal to own in most others, including my home state of WA.

Please write your congressmen about this issue. I gave my $80 combat folder to another Joe rather than toss it in the trash with the "purchase price" that he would promise to pass it on rather than tossing it in the trash when it was his time to go home.

That's surprising. I haven't checked on double-edged knives, but we are allowed to send all sorts of knives, swords, antique rifles, etc. Some of them I can't mail from my FOB, but I can do iot from a bigger one. Did you try just mailing it home?

You know, I actually can mail a knife like your from any FOB here - it just has to be under 6" long (blade), ragrdless of whether it's double-edged. For knives over 6" I have to go to a large FOB that offers complete mail services, but I can mail a sword home if I want.

NDC187
08-28-2009, 15:30
i have the same knife and I have traveled all over the place with it. I just pack it in a bag for belly loading.

31F20
09-04-2009, 18:35
Sorry about the knife. We vote for these people.

Fox
09-17-2009, 14:56
Too late now for mailing it home. I am home, the blade is gone. We need to change these laws.

I suspect that there is no such law on a federal level, just a policy created by some officers who think the rest of the USA is like the restrictive "blue state" that they came from (ie CA, NJ, etc).

HogGlocker
09-19-2009, 15:42
That or a totally un-American resentment in general. Not everyone likes us....the folks at JFK made that obvious when I landed there inbound from Shannon, Ireland.

spdski
09-19-2009, 18:57
including my home state of WA.

Just don't get caught carrying one concealed. :supergrin:

Bren
09-19-2009, 21:24
On the knife issue, yesterday I talked to the guys doing customs inspections of duffle bags at Camp Phoenix, in Kabul. They said we can take any kind of knife or swrod we want in a checked bag - antique guns have to be mailed home, however.

On the way over, we had a contract flight all the way to Kyrgyzstan, so we flew on a commercial plane (stewardesses, movies and all) with holstered pistols, knives and rifles laying on the floor under our seats. that was different. We just had to leave them on the plane when we got off in Iceland, Germany and Romania.

Bren
10-05-2009, 06:04
I just went thorugh customs twice (into Qatar and out of Kuwait) while coming home on R&R, with 3 knives with 10-12 inch baldes (Afghan souvenirs) and had no problems with customs - they said any knife or sword is fine, as long as it isn't a switchblade.

reconshawn
10-27-2009, 09:34
We brought them back from Iraq!

40S&W_SigSauerP229
11-04-2009, 17:02
We brought them back from Iraq!

We brought them home, Benchmade Infidel, but they didnít know; Spread the word to all so they can properly hide them prior to going through customs. It is pretty sad that they confiscate things that are legal in most of the county. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Well, sorry about your knife, I wrote my congress man 6 months ago about it, and welcome home!<o:p></o:p>

40S&W_SigSauerP229
11-04-2009, 17:06
Too late now for mailing it home. I am home, the blade is gone. We need to change these laws.

I suspect that there is no such law on a federal level, just a policy created by some officers who think the rest of the USA is like the restrictive "blue state" that they came from (ie CA, NJ, etc).

You cant mail blades over a certain lenght, switch blade stye, or double edged blades. Trust me I tried, in Iraq and in Kuwait, The only way is to smuggle it out, sad if you ask me.

tc556guy
11-05-2009, 04:30
On the knife issue, yesterday I talked to the guys doing customs inspections of duffle bags at Camp Phoenix, in Kabul.... antique guns have to be mailed home, however.

Guys coming over for OEF should know that as of the last month or so, the rules for mailing guns home have changed. Previously any antique firearm over 100 years old was OK. Now all centerfire rifles regardless of age are forbidden for send backs; anything to be mailed home must be percussion or flintlock.

Bren
11-05-2009, 06:17
You cant mail blades over a certain lenght, switch blade stye, or double edged blades. Trust me I tried, in Iraq and in Kuwait, The only way is to smuggle it out, sad if you ask me.

I went through customs in Kuwait last month and specifically asked the customs inspector about the 3 knives I was carrying with 10-12 inch blades each - they said any knife or sword is fine as long as it isn't a switchblade. Since that is also consistent with US law and restriction applicable to civilians and since I got the same answer from the customs inspectors in kabul, I see no reason too doubt it. Other guys I know have had the same experience.

Also, while there iis a 6" blade length limit on parcel post/1str class packages, you can go to a full service post office on a big FOB and mail the longer knives and such by, I believe, priority mail. They can't mail them from where I am, but we mail them all the time, along with guns, from Camp Phoenix.

nothing
12-04-2009, 07:41
The switchblade issure really concerns me. One of my E-7's and I have microtech automatics. We didn't have any issue getting them out in 2005 as long as they were checked. Now it sounds like we can't even put them in checked luggage. What gets me is they sell Benchmade Infidels at the PX at Seitz. WTF, AAFES will sell you a 270$ knife with no way to get it home?

Bren
12-20-2009, 05:44
I just thought if this old thread again, because my detachment just got issued Applegate-Fairbairn combat folders, the big ones, that we get to keep. Pretty cool deal.:supergrin:

I Don't expect any trouble getting them through customs.

Also, this isn't a double-edged knife to begin with. It's single edged with a false edge on top. That kind of makes the premise of the original post, that you can't take home double edged knives, irrelevant.

Bren
12-20-2009, 05:46
The switchblade issure really concerns me. One of my E-7's and I have microtech automatics. We didn't have any issue getting them out in 2005 as long as they were checked. Now it sounds like we can't even put them in checked luggage. What gets me is they sell Benchmade Infidels at the PX at Seitz. WTF, AAFES will sell you a 270$ knife with no way to get it home?

Folders are pretty simple - can't you disassemble it and remove the spring, until you get home, then reassemble it? I seem to recall that has been a method used to import switchblades legally.

MstrPara
01-13-2010, 05:28
The whole "Customs" thing is a bit of a nightmare, and unfortunately it varies from location to location. Depending on who's running the show (Navy, Army, or ACTUAL US Customs), the rules vary.

My favorite customs story took place in early 2002. While on a 4 hr layover in Ramstein (MILAIR flight headed east), the US Customs Agent tried to confiscate unit issued Benchmades (auto openers) from us while seated in the transit lounge (we had to deplane during refueling). His reasoning was that these type of knives were "illegal in Germany".

I told him we were just passing through (hence the transit lounge, DCUs, M4s, etc), and we'd not be surrendering our unit's equipment to him. Took a lot of talking an a couple of phone calls before he backed off.

vmann
02-03-2010, 10:12
this is nothing more than an ignorant customs agent...

John Taylor
02-13-2010, 17:32
This is just a case of ignorance on the part of customs personnel. They get the rules screwed up ALL the time. Much depends on who the actual customs person is. Is it a REAL US Customs agent or is it some MP performing part time customs duty. Add to this all the fools who confuse unit and service specific "policy" with actual law and you have a morass. You should have just put it in your pocket and walked on with it, assuming you weren't actually subjected to a pat down. Of course the thought of a pat down performed on someone openly carrying an automatic weapon on to an airplane is, well, as ludicrous as it sounds. The best thing to do to get your knife home is to write the US Customs Service and get the actual law on the issue, contact your unit and find out what the policies are, and then forward them to your buddy in theater. Have him bring them to his chain of command to make sure he can bring the knife back. I carried all sorts of knives with me in and out of Afghanistan, folders, large fixed blade knives on my TA-50, including a long K-bar. These guys aren't malicious, they're just wrong. Be patient and state your case, seek support from your chain of command.

One other thing, there are all sorts of ever shifting and ever changing theater policies that further complicate matters. One possibility is to go see your local JAG for legal asssiatance and see ways to get your knife back. Be aware, however, that your local JAG might be a Captain with less than 12 months in service, so wet behind the ears that the ink on his bar certificate isn't yet dry. If you get a jacked up answer then ask for a second opinion. In addition you have two other alternatives. Deduct the knife from your taxes as an uncompensated business expense (of course you have to itemize your deductions if you do this) and also seek to file a claim against the government. You should talk to the JAG about this. Its called an Article 139 claim and if the circumstances are right, and I don't know if they are b/c I don't have all the information, but if they are you MIGHT be able to at least be compensated. Good luck.

For those in this situation the best thing is to immediately enlist your chain of command to fix it as its happening. Its as wrong as two boys in a hot tub.

Sose
02-19-2010, 07:33
My ARMY Maj. just came back home from his 3rd tour to Iraq. On his 2nd tour, he got the exact same blade thru customs. It really sounds to me like an inept customs agent.

Thankfully, I drove the knife home with me after my last visit from San Antonio to DC. :)

Will-21
02-26-2010, 20:04
Leaving through Kuwait after OIF II, this Air Farce customs guy tried to tell me I couldn't take my Gerber Mark II back.

I told him I originally bought it at Fort Lewis in 1983, brought it in country on my OCIE. He insited: No double edged knives.

After about 30 minutes of personal insults directed at him and his crew, my CSM just took the knife and put it in his giant ass foot locker that does not get inspected by customs. :whistling:

Pathetic that this is still going on 5 years later. :steamed:

Bren
02-27-2010, 08:20
So to cap my comments, I am now back from Afghanistan and I did, in fact, bring my issued Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat folder through customs, along with half a dozen other knives. No problems. It's even better since ours were issued and we didn't have to give them back (same for our surefire weapon lights).

We even had enough to issue to the British guys in our group, but they had to get a spoecial order to take them into the UK, since they have ridiculous "knife crime" laws now.

nothing
03-07-2010, 06:58
I'm about to leave iraq in a couple of days. Our Brigade Commander sent out a blanket memorandum so we can get our "military issue" switchblades home. We have to rap it around our knife and put it in checked luggage. Hopefully I won't have any problems, I'll be pissed if I have to give up my Microtech Socom Elite.