How can we improve training better for women? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How can we improve training better for women?

fiveofnine
07-30-2009, 23:48
How can we improve training for women?

I am a firearms instructor and about a third of my shooters are women. I am putting together a class for (predominately male) firearms instructors on teaching women. Some of it will focus on techniques, like grabbing the slide over the top rather than pinching it, and some will be on social factors like the advantages of all women classes.

I am very interested in getting feed back from women trainers and shooters, as well as anyone else with an insight into this.

Thanks!

PATRICE
09-26-2009, 09:24

sawgrass
09-26-2009, 10:04

Deployment Solu
10-04-2010, 04:02
Be gentle in manner & speech, but emphasize aggression in techniques and action for your female shooters. Go as slow as you have to. I teach a few women's only classes a year in both CCW and training.

Many women tend to be not aggressive or assertive enough. Self-defense is dynamic. Speed and aggression on the part of the shooter are imperative. Many of the women will find a new self confidence in being able to master the techniques and have the skills to defend themselves. Empowered is the word I hear alot!!

federali
10-10-2010, 05:38
One of the main impediments to effectively teaching women is occasional male instructor arrogance. That is, an instructor privately feels that women don't belong in law enforcement and manifests his view with a hard-as-nails demeanor, condescenion, impatience, etc.

Also, as the male and female brain is wired differently, in my opinion, it's a bit more difficult to instill a "kill-or-be-killed" mindset in women.

I've also witnessed another form of abuse: an unusually attractive woman garnering unneeded attention from the instructors while average looking, or even overweight women were ignored. The senior firearms instructor must be attuned to these quircks of human nature and see to it that everyone is treated equally and with respect.

PATRICE
10-10-2010, 06:50
Hhmmm....--Patrice

sawgrass
10-10-2010, 08:04
hmmmmm what? :wavey:P.

Misty02
10-10-2010, 09:09
Racking the slide is probably among the most important, in my opinion at least, at least where operation of the gun is concerned. It has nothing to do with strength (if you don't have it), it is all skill, speed and getting a good hold (slingshot is the one that works for me).
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Another important factor will be distance. While it would be easier for some men to keep other men at arms length and beyond so they can draw, we lack the upper body strength to push someone away at times. A boost of adrenaline could make a woman as strong as the average man, but you can’t count of getting one of those when you need it. So what is left? Deceit, trickery, and the like. There won’t be a single method that works every time, but it is good to plant the idea so the student can later practice various scenarios at home.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Anything closer than 21 yards can result in being disarmed; include some methods to minimize the possibility.<o:p></o:p>
Other than teaching for compensation of obvious differences between male and female there need not be many differences than what would be taught to a smaller framed male. Most women that have made the conscious decision to carry are not that fragile minded. Respect, of course, that goes without saying! :)<o:p></o:p>
Federali – “Also, as the male and female brain is wired differently, in my opinion, it's a bit more difficult to instill a "kill-or-be-killed" mindset in women.”<o:p></o:p>
Try telling a woman with kids to imagine one of her children being attacked and move out of the way! You might get to see ferocity that exceeds that of many men. :supergrin:

.<o:p></o:p>

Mrs.Cicero
10-10-2010, 12:21
If the class is small enough, you can tailor it to the individual. Ask questions, either in class or individually on the range... e.g. I don't need lessons in aggression - I spend my free time practicing multiple martial arts... punching people in the face - well, my only concern is breaking my hand. I have a mean, short temper. :embarassed: And I have children I would fight or die for in order to protect. But some people just aren't like that, and really honest-to-God believe that they can face some industrial-size ogre with a gun in their shaking hands and tell him to go away in their quiet, quivering voices, and he will, instead of grabbing their firearm and pistol whipping them with it while laughing... :crying:Also, some people you can tailor instruction to just by seeing their size and how they move. It's easy enough to point out the differences in techniques used by the industrial size person (attacker or defender) as opposed to the miniature. And the difference in speed. And it can be done without the obvious gender references, if you think someone might be oversensitive about that, since you would just be comparing individuals and not generalizing about a group.:upeyes:

The most important thing I would suggest is actually having the female students try the different forms of concealed carry available to them, AND TIME THEM. It is an eye-opener to discover how much longer it takes to draw from certain purses... and if they really MUST carry that way, it should drive home how much more aware they have to be of their surroundings in order to have that extra time available (where that is even possible).

Hope this helps,
Mrs.Cicero

Misty02
10-10-2010, 12:55
If the class is small enough, you can tailor it to the individual. Ask questions, either in class or individually on the range... e.g. I don't need lessons in aggression - I spend my free time practicing multiple martial arts... punching people in the face - well, my only concern is breaking my hand. I have a mean, short temper. :embarassed: And I have children I would fight or die for in order to protect. But some people just aren't like that, and really honest-to-God believe that they can face some industrial-size ogre with a gun in their shaking hands and tell him to go away in their quiet, quivering voices, and he will, instead of grabbing their firearm and pistol whipping them with it while laughing... :crying:Also, some people you can tailor instruction to just by seeing their size and how they move. It's easy enough to point out the differences in techniques used by the industrial size person (attacker or defender) as opposed to the miniature. And the difference in speed. And it can be done without the obvious gender references, if you think someone might be oversensitive about that, since you would just be comparing individuals and not generalizing about a group.:upeyes:

The most important thing I would suggest is actually having the female students try the different forms of concealed carry available to them, AND TIME THEM. It is an eye-opener to discover how much longer it takes to draw from certain purses... and if they really MUST carry that way, it should drive home how much more aware they have to be of their surroundings in order to have that extra time available (where that is even possible).

Hope this helps,
Mrs.Cicero

What SHE said! :thumbsup:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My experience in dealing with self-defense where other women are concerned is non-existent. My comments were more about me than anything else. However, Mrs. Cicero has trained other women and sees a whole array of different personalities and temperaments that may need different type of instructions.

.<o:p></o:p>

janice6
10-10-2010, 13:16
Start a womens shooting league with shoes as awards/prizes.

PATRICE
10-10-2010, 13:19

Misty02
10-10-2010, 13:22
Start a womens shooting league with shoes as awards/prizes.

Oh, I own about 6 pairs of shoes that go with just about every outfit I have, why would I need more?

Stereotyping, weren’t ya??? Could I get more ammo instead? :supergrin:

(sorry, couldn't help myself, the devil made me do it!)

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

sawgrass
10-10-2010, 15:09
^^^^^^^what she said^^^^^^^

Not all women collect shoes. This is a gun forum, make it worth it.

You guys realize the OP posted this thread over a year ago, right?
Deployment Solutions pulled it back up...

PATRICE
10-10-2010, 16:37

ExxoticOne
10-10-2010, 20:26
Sometimes, I think it's good to leave a callling card to let one's friends/enemies know that one is still about.--Patrice :cool:

I would hate to think that you think you have enemies here Patrice. If there is one thing I loathe, it's women being crappy to other women. If someone has a problem with you (which I hope is not the case) it's their problem.

PATRICE
10-11-2010, 04:17

LilWolfess
10-11-2010, 22:19
There is something to be said about firearm training/self defense training and all that jazz. It is important to be able to deal with situations that you can't avoid, however most women don't realize that there are things you can do quite a long while before any fists need fly, or weapons need be drawn. (Given, some of us are bullheaded women that invite trouble just for the sake of wanting to knock someone out cold).

"Situational Awareness."

Also important would be teaching how to disspell difficult situations before they escalate into something bad. I'd like to say that a lot of ultra feminine/non aggressive women aren't going to be able to pull the trigger of a gun that is pointed at another human being. A lot of them are in the CCW classes just because their husband/boyfriend/dad/brother said they should, or "made" them do it when they don't have any sort of experience with dangerous people or dangerous situations. As was already pointed out, the worst thing you can do is give a lethal to someone who can't or won't use it when it is needed. Yes. I said it. Some women aren't meant to carry. I figure that if they are there in a class, maybe they should at least get taught something they could use to save themselves or others?

ExxoticOne
10-12-2010, 04:55
Hello, EO. I do share you're sentiments, although--I do think that everyone has enemies. {Just a question of how vigorously said enemies prosecute their vendetta/feud.]

I like your golfing-icon;

Thanks Patrice :wavey:

Online enemies? Nah. I wouldn't call it that; more like online entertainment. If some of these people act this poorly online I can only imagine the freak show that is their life. Actually, I don't even have to imagine it. One of my court jesters posted a picture of herself in her profile. Because she was so hideous I actually felt sorry for her. You can correct bad behavior but it takes a lot of money to fix ugly!

PATRICE
10-13-2010, 19:33

dannymc
03-31-2011, 21:04