Fort Hood, TX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood, TX

60Pilot
08-01-2009, 22:11
So I finally found out where I'll be going next, Fort Hood, TX. I will not actually get there until April/May 2010 as I will be TDY for about 7 months in route. I'm going to the fixed wing multi-engine QC at Ft. Rucker then the RC-12 MI QC at Ft. Huachuca, AZ, before finally ending up at Hood flying RC-12s. Does anyone out there know which airfield the RC-12s fly out of at Hood? Also any other info. on the area such as a good place to buy a house..etc. would be great. Thanks!

MrMurphy
08-02-2009, 07:58
Stay away from Killeen.

Harker Heights, Copperas Cove aren't too bad.

AF-Odin
08-02-2009, 15:21
RC-12 fly out of Robert Gray AAF which is on West Ft Hood. RGAAF is also the Killeen Municipal Airport (Joint Use). If you can't put the RC-12 on RGAAF, go back to pilot training---12,000+ foot runway---should be able to do 2 touch and goes on a single approach. RGAAF is between Main Post and Copperas Cove. Good news is that there is a range for personally owned weapons on Ft Hood and reg JUST changed that if you do not reside on post or store weapons on post that they do NOT need to be registered to use the range. Chief of Range Control was going to change SOP, but I have not yet personally checked. Harker Heights has more and some nicer houses, but means that you would have a much longer drive to work through ALL of the traffic going to Ft Hood. From Copperas Cove, you are almost under the traffic pattern and there is a side road into West Fort.

ranburr1
08-02-2009, 17:10
Ft.Hood is the armpit of the universe. I was out at W.Ft.Hood which sucked, but not as bad as main post. I would look well away from base if I were actually going to buy.

ChaneyD
08-22-2009, 09:16
Spent from 1972-79 there. Apparently the opinion of Ft. Hood hasn't changed. Nor that of Killeen. Lived in Temple. Still didn't seem to get away far enough. Hated that place.

luv2brode
08-23-2009, 10:36
sorry to hear that for ya

deadday
08-23-2009, 11:00
On the plus side, Ft Hood has one of the few PXs that still stock guns and ammo...:wavey: